CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why OLYs? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83229)

Georgia Guy 07-21-2013 02:45 PM

Why OLYs?

Okay I have been doing CF for about four years and seriously for the last two years. I have made great gains all around set PRs etc. Of late I have been getting stronger because of a change in programming. Everybody keeps telling me to invest in some OLY shoes. When I ask why the answer I get is "because they will help you."
Okay I'm 42 never gonna make it to the games but love pushing myself. Can I get a real reason to drop $175.00 on shoes. I'm not a hater or smart a$$ I would just would like a better answer from some experts.

Jeff Enge 07-21-2013 02:56 PM

Re: Why OLYs?

OK, here's the mechanics behind weightlifting shoes:

1. They all feature some kind of raised heel. Could be anywhere from 0.5" to 0.75" of lift. This allows most people to get into a much more vertical squat position, which is critical to maintaining balance in the catch of a clean or snatch (not to mention other exercises like back, front and overhead squats, pistols and wall ball shots)

2. They provide a solid base to lift from. Whether made of hard plastic or wood, the soles of lifting shoes are meant to be stiff, not squishy like most other athletic shoes. This means all of your force is being applied to standing up rather than in compressing the soles of your shoes. Of course, this is also why lifting shoes aren't supposed to be used for dynamic movements where the sole will be excessively flexed.

3. They stabilize your feet. Lifting shoes are meant to fit tightly, and in addition they usually are made with velcro straps. This allows your feet to push against the shoes and in turn apply force to the ground, as opposed to looser-fitting shoes where your feet have room to move around a little.

Hope this helps. You certainly don't "need" lifting shoes, but they are highly recommended for anyone who wants to improve their weightlifting skills.

Also, you can find perfectly acceptable shoes for under $100. They aren't Nike or Adidas or Reebok, but they are serviceable enough - and I would argue most of the cheaper ones are better for pure weightlifting than the Reeboks are.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. Just an engineer and amateur CrossFitter who recently started to dabble in the weightlifting world.

Georgia Guy 07-21-2013 03:05 PM

Thanks Jeff that's more than I gotten so far. For deads I have been using just plain ol converse Chuck T's.

Jeff Enge 07-21-2013 03:13 PM

Those are great of deadlifting. Usually (unless you are doing specifically clean- or snatch-grip deadlifts as an assistance to Olympic weightlifting movements) you don't want the heel lift for deads.

Andrew N. Casey 07-21-2013 03:27 PM

jeff has given you great answer and info... i also repeat what he said that you can get perfectly good shoes for well under 100.

one suggestion i will make is that if you want to see if they will help you much with your balance and ankle flexibility, try doing some front squats and OHS with a small plate or other object under your heals to keep your heels elevated about a half inch to an inch. you will likely find you are more comfortable and stronger, especially in the bottom hole position. that is what the Oly shoes will do for you. for many people they also help take stress off the ankles, knees, hips, or back when doing these movments. and no, i wouldn't wear them for deads.

Georgia Guy 07-21-2013 03:40 PM

Thanks I am looking at the adidas trainers now.

Georgia Guy 07-21-2013 04:24 PM

I wear a 13 in Nano's any advice on what size Adidas power trainers to order?

Robert Diggs 07-21-2013 06:24 PM

Froning wears Nanos for everything. Just saying...

Jeff Enge 07-21-2013 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Diggs;1180133]Froning wears Nanos for everything. Just saying...[/QUOTE]

Froning may not, but nearly every single competitive weightlifter does.

Just saying...

And Georgia, I dont really know how the Adidas shoes fit, so I cant help you there unfortunately.

BMH 07-21-2013 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Diggs;1180133]Froning wears Nanos for everything. Just saying...[/QUOTE]

Just saying what? That a piece of equipment vetted by decades of competitive weightlifters is totally moot in the face of Froning using a Crossfit sponsor's shoes? The shoes have a place in Olympic training even if you might not use them in your comp.

Robert Diggs 07-21-2013 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=Jeff Enge;1180135]Froning may not, but nearly every single competitive weightlifter does.

Just saying...

And Georgia, I dont really know how the Adidas shoes fit, so I cant help you there unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Bill M. Hesse;1180136]Just saying what? That a piece of equipment vetted by decades of competitive weightlifters is totally moot in the face of Froning using a Crossfit sponsor's shoes? The shoes have a place in Olympic training even if you might not use them in your comp.[/QUOTE]

just saying they're not necessary :D

Blair Robert Lowe 07-21-2013 07:22 PM

Most of the competitive CF hybrid shoes are expensive. Like $150 or so not including tax or shipping.

Cheap WL shoes would be the VS. Like 69 or 79. I would not get the Adidas PowerLift trainers as they are not designed for real heavy loads (though I did hear of an Iranian CJ a lot at World's Uni's in a pair).

I didn't really like doing max DL in my Pendlay's the other day. Fine for Sn/Cn DL but not for a max DL (with higher hips and mixed grip [which I probably will never do again]).

If you have excellent ankle flexibility it might be as necessary. Most shoes are not very stable if they are the "trainer" kind. I learned the Olympic Lifts in whatever I wore in gym class but WL shoes are nice in that they are stable and don't move around.

BMH 07-21-2013 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=Robert Diggs;1180140]just saying they're not necessary :D[/QUOTE]

That isn't what is being asked.

Evan Williams 07-21-2013 08:31 PM

For me it seems that I'm much more confident going heavy with Olympic shoes. Like you I'm not going to the games any time soon but I do take fitness seriously and love having goals to work towards in the gym. While wearing the Olympic shoes I know I'm planted securely and just have to focus on form and moving that weight!

One thing I've heard a hundred times, and said myself too is that you really don't know what you're missing until you've tried them. The shoes do make a positive difference for most people it seems.

No doubt the high end shoes are pricey, but you can always try one of the ~$70-130 shoes and sell them if you don't like them.

Mark E. Wallace 07-21-2013 08:38 PM

And Abebe Bikila won the 1960 Olympic Marathon barefoot. Just saying....

- Mark

Blair Robert Lowe 07-21-2013 08:53 PM

Actually Greg Everett has gone on record about collapses arches by people lifting without WL shoes.

Could happen and there is no need asking for a Darwin award.

Besides, my Pendlay's are probably my nicest fashion equipment. They are pretty comfy if they aren't super tight and they look pretty bomb.

Jason A Smith 07-21-2013 09:16 PM

I have Olympic Lifting shoes and a total way less than Rich's. FWIW even he wore lifting shoes for the clean ladder last year. They were the Reebok's but whatever. I prefer them for squats for sure.

You can look at getting the Adidas Power Perfect 2's. They run about $150. Good lifting shoes will last a decade or more. Worth the money if you ask me. I ordered my regular size for my Adipower Lifters.

You can spend money on way more useless junk than lifting shoes.

Marshall Flagg 07-21-2013 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Georgia Guy;1180098]Okay I have been doing CF for about four years and seriously for the last two years. I have made great gains all around set PRs etc. Of late I have been getting stronger because of a change in programming. Everybody keeps telling me to invest in some OLY shoes. When I ask why the answer I get is "because they will help you."
Okay I'm 42 never gonna make it to the games but love pushing myself. Can I get a real reason to drop $175.00 on shoes. I'm not a hater or smart a$$ I would just would like a better answer from some experts.[/QUOTE]

"Because they will help you" is the best answer out there. Drop the coin and buy the shoes.

Jeff Enge 07-22-2013 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=Robert Diggs;1180100]just saying they're not necessary :D [/QUOTE]

Maybe try reading other posts before commenting? (See bold below):

[QUOTE=Jeff Enge;1180100]OK, here's the mechanics behind weightlifting shoes:

1. They all feature some kind of raised heel. Could be anywhere from 0.5" to 0.75" of lift. This allows most people to get into a much more vertical squat position, which is critical to maintaining balance in the catch of a clean or snatch (not to mention other exercises like back, front and overhead squats, pistols and wall ball shots)

2. They provide a solid base to lift from. Whether made of hard plastic or wood, the soles of lifting shoes are meant to be stiff, not squishy like most other athletic shoes. This means all of your force is being applied to standing up rather than in compressing the soles of your shoes. Of course, this is also why lifting shoes aren't supposed to be used for dynamic movements where the sole will be excessively flexed.

3. They stabilize your feet. Lifting shoes are meant to fit tightly, and in addition they usually are made with velcro straps. This allows your feet to push against the shoes and in turn apply force to the ground, as opposed to looser-fitting shoes where your feet have room to move around a little.

Hope this helps. [B]You certainly don't "need" lifting shoes, but they are highly recommended for anyone who wants to improve their weightlifting skills.[/B]

Also, you can find perfectly acceptable shoes for under $100. They aren't Nike or Adidas or Reebok, but they are serviceable enough - and I would argue most of the cheaper ones are better for pure weightlifting than the Reeboks are.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. Just an engineer and amateur CrossFitter who recently started to dabble in the weightlifting world.[/QUOTE]

The two-minute rule applies to the internet too :D

Georgia Guy 07-22-2013 07:29 AM

Blair, There is no danger of me lifting heavy loads. I grew up a distance runner so squats were not part of my "gym days". Yes I trained stupid when I was younger, hence the saying youth is wasted on the young. But I am trying to reverse some of my stupidity I actually look forward to heavy leg workouts.

Blair Robert Lowe 07-22-2013 09:31 AM

Adidas PowerLift trainers are supposed to be rated for 400lbs of load.

So if you calculate 400-BW= not a lot on your squat. Maybe 2 plates a side.

Georgia Guy 07-22-2013 10:09 AM

Dude stop bringing me down. Just kidding that's good to know, thanks.

Eric Montgomery 07-22-2013 10:18 AM

Pendlay and Rogue both offer several models of quality lifting shoes for far less than $170.