CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 07-21-2009 09:23 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[I][B]090720 MONDAY

Another Rest Day (unplanned). [/B]Crazy Busy and no energy/time left to work out.[/I]

[B]
[I]090721 TUESDAY

Back into it today.......
[/I][/B]Took it carefully and easily due to having over a week off....

[I][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles
[B]CF Redding WU: [/B]Backed off on GHD sit-ups and back extensions to 15 reps each; 20 push-ups also.

[I][B]WOD: 5K Run
[/B][/I][B]Scaled to 5K Walk / Slow Run - time: 43:50.
[/B]First .5 miles: Walk increasing speed to 4.0 MPH
Next 1.5 miles: Alternating .25 mi (400m) run at 5.5 MPH with 400m walk at 4.0 MPH.
Last 1.2 miles: Alternated .1 mile runs at 6.0 MPH with .1 mile walks at 4.0 MPH.

[I]Felt slight, continuous "pull" on L/Hamstring and R/Achilles throughout most of the runs and later walking, but nothing more serious. [/I][I]No lasting effects after post-WOD stretching. Very happy to complete this in any time period without a problem.

[/I][I][B]Skill Work:
Warm up: [/B][/I]10 X 1 of Front Squats @ 45#[B]Overhead Squats. [/B]
[B]45# X 5, 5, 5.[/B]
No PVC pipe anywhere at the globo today, so got brave and tried using 45# bar. Form felt good and solid for all lifts! Sure smoked my shoulders though....

[I][B]Pull-ups:
[/B][/I][B]Dead-Hang: 6
Kipping: 5, 10, 7, 11[/B]

Stephen R. Lampl 07-22-2009 02:33 PM

[I][B]090722 WEDNESDAY

CrossFit Sonora Training Session/Group WOD at Sonora H.S. Track[/B]
[/I]Well, we were few, but still managed to put in a good butt-kicking WOD. Thanks Josh and Seth for this killer....

[I][B]Warm-up[/B][/I]:
Slow .25 mile jog/run
Shoulder pass throughs/body circles
Leg/hamstring stretches

[I][B]WOD:
Five Round for time of:
5 muscle-ups (or 10 pull-ups)
10 dead lifts X 185#
15 wall balls X 20# (10 foot target)
5 burpees

Scaled to:[/B][/I]
[B]5 Rounds for time of:[/B]
[B]10 pull-ups
10 wall balls X 20#
5 burpees
TIME: 18:31
[/B][I]L/hamstring not happy with the deadlifts after yesterday's workout. Got 1 round at 10 reps and 5 reps the next before dumping the DLs from the WOD. Scaled back on the wall balls also just to be safe, but probably[/I] could [I]have managed sets of 15 reps. Pull-ups were unbroken first three rounds, last two, got 8 + 2 each time. Best I've ever done on pull-ups! [B]YEAH![/B][/I]

Scott Jenkins 07-23-2009 01:24 AM

Good to see your hitting group workouts Steve, its a new thing to me seeing as I only found an affiliate two weeks ago.

I read on Carter's log you wanted some tips on getting upside down. My way of getting over the fear of kicking up a wall was to start on my knees and slowly kick my legs gradually higher and higher until I found contact with the wall. Make sure you put some padding (ab mats) down in case you collapse as its a new position for your body to be in. Even better get a gym buddy to catch your legs until you get use to the position.

Hope this helps Steve

Stephen R. Lampl 07-23-2009 11:12 AM

[quote=Scott Jenkins;630092]Good to see your hitting group workouts Steve, its a new thing to me seeing as I only found an affiliate two weeks ago.

I read on Carter's log you wanted some tips on getting upside down. My way of getting over the fear of kicking up a wall was to start on my knees and slowly kick my legs gradually higher and higher until I found contact with the wall. Make sure you put some padding (ab mats) down in case you collapse as its a new position for your body to be in. Even better get a gym buddy to catch your legs until you get use to the position.

Hope this helps Steve[/quote]

Scott,

Thanks for the advice and info. I took the gymnastics cert back in May and really had a blast - - problem is, having my workouts at a globo and going solo means no one to spot me......no way to hang bands either. We can't wait for our box to get established in a better location. Right now, it's a garage gym with limited times.

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 07-23-2009 09:41 PM

[I][B]090723 THURSDAY
[/B]
[/I]Got a chance to actually act as a trainer today (for the first time!). Took about 10 to 15 minutes to show a couple of gym regulars (who also mix in CF workouts) some kipping progressions. Felt really great to be able to give back and share stuff I've learned.......

[I]Seriously stiff and sore from yesterday's workout. Concentrated on skill work today.[/I]

[I][B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Jump Rope work.
[/B]Skipping with heavy (2#) rope:
50 singles X 4
DU practice: About 10:00 (with breaks). Got a DU on most every attempt, but could not chain any together. Must spend more time on these!
Shoulder pass thrus + trunk rotations + body circles.

[I][B]Skill Work[/B][/I]: [I][B]Squats
[/B][/I]Used no weight, concentrated on strict form and worked to keep my weight off my toes.
[B]Air Squats: [/B]10 X 5
[B]Back Squats: [/B]10 X 5 X PVC
[B]Box Squats: [/B](Used weight bench) 10 X 5 X PVC

[I][B]Strength Work:
[/B][/I][B]Push-ups: [/B]Full ROM (hands on benches) - lowering upper body as far as I could go.
20 X 3 (first two sets unbroken)
[B]Pull-ups:
Kipping: 13, 7, 10
Dead Hang: 6
[/B]

Dave Coughlin 07-25-2009 05:35 PM

-Nice to see you made a full day's work with skills, that's something everyone needs to do once in a while. I might even benefit myself by dropping my CFWU to to rounds, and adding in some concentrated skill work:highfive:

-Are you a part of the CF Senora crew? Trainer? Affiliate? Regardless, I bet it was a real kicker to do some CF training with some folks. I try with some guys at both jobs, but....

-I hate to hit you up with the tough love, but the only way to get used to being inverted is......well, being inverted. It sounds a bit wacky, and un-CF, but does your Globo have inversion boots? It might help to hang upside down for a couple moments. Headstands/handstands in the pool help out quite a bit as well;)

Stephen R. Lampl 07-26-2009 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=Dave Coughlin;631764]-Nice to see you made a full day's work with skills, that's something everyone needs to do once in a while. I might even benefit myself by dropping my CFWU to to rounds, and adding in some concentrated skill work:highfive:

-Are you a part of the CF Senora crew? Trainer? Affiliate? Regardless, I bet it was a real kicker to do some CF training with some folks. I try with some guys at both jobs, but....

-I hate to hit you up with the tough love, but the only way to get used to being inverted is......well, being inverted. It sounds a bit wacky, and un-CF, but does your Globo have inversion boots? It might help to hang upside down for a couple moments. Headstands/handstands in the pool help out quite a bit as well;)[/QUOTE]

Dave,

Thanks for stooping by! Yes, I am part of the CF Sonora bunch - - my role will be more of a trainer. Josh, the affiliate owner, is a FF/paramedic; Seth and Karl, the other two involved, are both FFs, and the there is me, the old retired cop of the bunch.

As for getting inverted, no problem with the "tough love." I fully understand where you are coming from. There is only one place at the globo to really work safely on handstands against a wall - - no place at my house (I'm not really confident enough to do this stuff on a concrete floor yet). I need to find a good area with some lawn or training mats and just "do it."

Stephen R. Lampl 07-26-2009 11:38 AM

[I][B]090724 AND 090725 FRIDAY AND SATURDAY

REST DAYS.

[/B][/I]Friday - - most of the day job hunting and did a couple of interviews......perhaps something may come out of this?

Saturday - - Spent much of the day working with the Twain Harte Fire Dept. barbecuing hot dogs and linguica for the Annual Craft Fair / Wine Tasting Festival. Lots of fun - - ate too much non-Zone/Paleo stuff, but hey - - it was fun and for a worthy cause.

Blair Robert Lowe 07-26-2009 03:39 PM

Steve, if you have an old futon mattress laying around it works as a skill cushion remarkably well but isn't very mobile. A few of those cheap couch pillows work ok as well but bed pillows are typically too small.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-26-2009 09:20 PM

[quote=Blair Robert Lowe;632049]Steve, if you have an old futon mattress laying around it works as a skill cushion remarkably well but isn't very mobile. A few of those cheap couch pillows work ok as well but bed pillows are typically too small.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Blair! We've got several of those sleeping mats (foam 2.5 X 6 ft) around, plus I completely forgot about the smaller exercise mat(s) my wife has......Awesome!