CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Stephen R. Lampl 07-06-2009 11:08 PM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

[quote=Blair Robert Lowe;619767]Interesting. I, myself sometimes like a longer warmup than other people but mainly to get myself loose and lively.

Do you find that it mucks up with your WOD performance? I found this a bit last year as I tended to bike about 6-7 miles slightly uphill to the gym to workout. I did this as well last saturday which was 5+ in a headwind.

It looks like I see 30m of LSD before some of your workouts and was just curious.[/quote]

Actually Blair, it doesn't seem to hurt my WOD performance at all - - probably just the opposite. The couple of times I tried some fast intervals, I got winded, but I did those as my CFE-type WOD and toward the end of my workout session. I've also had some days when I'll do an easy to moderate row for about a half-hour while I'm gearing down for the evening and watching TV.

BTW, the longer warm-ups tend to fit in well with what Kelly Starrett said in his video on the CF Journal site. Definitely worth watching, plus he makes some good points about not using NSAIDs any more......

Blair Robert Lowe 07-07-2009 12:05 AM

Hmm, I don't remember the longer WU video with KStar. NSAIDS, yes.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-07-2009 07:07 PM

[quote=Blair Robert Lowe;619814]Hmm, I don't remember the longer WU video with KStar. NSAIDS, yes.[/quote]

I don't think Kelly produced a video about longer WUs; I just commented on his analysis of some of the causes of tissue injuries, like age (where I fit in), prior injury of the same body component(s), etc......

Stephen R. Lampl 07-07-2009 08:31 PM

[I][B]090707 TUESDAY......More CFFB Programming.....

Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Walking/running: [/B]10:00, .70 miles total distance. Walking warm-up to 4.2 MPH. Intervals - easy runs: 3 X 30 sec @ 6.5 MPH with 30 sec rest (4.2 MPH) between runs, 1 X 30 sec @ 6.0 MPH with 1:00 cool down @ 4.0 MPH.
[B]CF Redding WU: [/B]Push-ups to 30 reps, sub stability ball full-ROM situps X 20 for GHDs, weighted lunges - 20# Dbs X 10 X 2 (R/L).

[I][B]Strength WOD: [/B]
[/I][B]Weighted Pull-ups 3, 3, 3, 3, 3.
25# X 3, dropped to 20# X 3, 3, 3, 3*[/B]
[I][B]Daily WOD:
[/B][/I][B]Power Cleans 185# (for time): 15, 10, 5
Warm-up sets: [/B]45# X 10, 95# X 5, 135# X 1, F, F. Wanted to use 135# but just could not get under it. Used same weight as previously (120#)
[B]Working: 120#
Time: 4:37

[I]Tried a few dumbbell snatches [/I][/B][I](Don't think I have the form correct)
[/I]20# X 10 X 2 (right, then left).

[I][B]*[/B] Not sure, but I don't think I've ever gotten more than two or three sets of weighted pull-ups (weight was 15# for those).
Workout today felt good; would have liked to have used 135# for the cleans, but had a couple of near misses even at 120#. More skill work necessary I'm afraid. [/I]

Dave Coughlin 07-07-2009 09:04 PM

Nice work with the CFFB style, Steven. Please keep on maintaining a good eye on your recovery with these WODs, scaled or not they are quite traumatic.

Your work with weighted PUs will pay off sooner rather than later...I need some more of those myself/

Stephen R. Lampl 07-07-2009 09:08 PM

[quote=Dave Coughlin;620472]Nice work with the CFFB style, Steven. Please keep on maintaining a good eye on your recovery with these WODs, scaled or not they are quite traumatic.

Your work with weighted PUs will pay off sooner rather than later...I need some more of those myself/[/quote]

Dave.

Many thanks! At your recommendation, I am watching my recovery like a hawk. Going solo makes it difficult to keep the intensity at 100%, but I aim for it as best I can. My 2 on - 1 off / 3 on - 1 off schedule seems to work well for whatever I am doing.

Thanks also on the weighted PUs......I felt nice to get through five sets of them for once without having to dump [I][B]all[/B][/I] of the weight.

Justin McGinley 07-08-2009 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=Blair Robert Lowe;619814]Hmm, I don't remember the longer WU video with KStar. NSAIDS, yes.[/QUOTE]

He talked about it in the injury one recently, how people with previous injuries might need to spend more time warming up the injured area. I definitely need to spend extra time on my right shoulder before I do any pressing.

Justin McGinley 07-08-2009 02:27 AM

Look at you doing weighted Pull-ups. Who would have thought?

Stephen R. Lampl 07-08-2009 09:34 PM

[quote=Justin McGinley;620535]Look at you doing weighted Pull-ups. [I][B]Who would have thought?[/B][/I][/quote]

I sure didn't! Thanks!

[I][B]090708 WEDNESDAY

REST DAY

[/B][/I]Job interview and gtg pavement pounding........NOT my idea of a rest day......feel more gassed than after a good WOD.....

Stephen R. Lampl 07-10-2009 12:03 AM

[I][B]090709 THURSDAY

[/B]Woke up today not feeling well and with something wrong/pain behind my right knee when I extended my leg. No idea where that came from.......

[B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Walking: [/B]20:00 / 1.5% to 5% incline / 2.5 MPH initial to 4.2 MPH / 1.27 miles
Tried a short run at 5.5 MPH; both hamstrings were tight and back of right knee complained loudly......[U]lots of stretching[/U] followed.
No CFWU today or organized WOD today.

[I][B]Leg lifts: [/B][/I]100, unbroken
[B]
[I]July Thruster Challenge: [/I][/B]
[B]Week 1, Day 2: [/B]75# X 15 reps (unbroken)

[I][B]Jump Rope Singles: [/B][/I]100 X 3 (broken - tripped 3 or 4 times each).
[I][B]Double-under attempts: [/B][/I]5, 5, 5. (none chained together....RATS!).

[I][B]Active Shoulder Lat Engagement (on dip bars): [/B][/I]15 X 3

[I][B]Pull-ups:
[/B][/I][B]Dead Hang: [/B]8, 5.
[B]Kipping: [/B]12, 8.

[I][B]Bar Rows (C2B): [/B][/I]10, 8.