CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Testimonials (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fit by 40 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63507)

Lisa Erickson 12-10-2010 08:56 AM

Fit by 40

I spent 12+ years so fat and out of shape I could hardly walk or keep up with my kids. I had hit a "rock bottom moment" at Sea World when I almost rented an electric skooter to get around. I have a condition called PCOS and was told I would be fat and I would have to live with it. But I got the nerve to go the a local globo gym 21 months ago and met my trainer Mando there. He is CrossFit certified and did these workouts with me that I thought were crazy, but I went along with it. I didn't know what CrossFit was. He was just feeding it to me in little easy to swallow amounts. When he opened his own CF affiliate in March this year I left the gym and went with him. I can't believe how far I've come. My mantra has been, "Fit by 40!" In January I will be turning 40. To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.) I can't believe some of the things I can do. I hold many of the records at our box for highest one rep max in weightlifting on the board for woman. I'm just a stay-at-home-mom with 2 young kids, is this normal? For me it is. The Paleo diet and CrossFit was exactly what my messed up endocrine system needed. My Dr. Can't believe it! So I am still struggling with the last 20 pounds but it's going to be fun trying to get it off! Thanks CrossFit! I don't know how to put up before and after pictures so here is the link to my blog. See for yourself!
http://allnewmom.wordpress.com/

Jason R O'Dell 12-10-2010 02:28 PM

Re: Fit by 40

I just read your blog too and WOW. Great job. Fit by 40? Sounds like you were fit by 39 easily!

Chantal Brien 12-10-2010 06:40 PM

Awesome work! It's always cool to see people achieve great things despite obstacles in their paths.

Ted Apollo 12-11-2010 03:42 PM

Nice Work! and most importantly it looks like you have made it into a sustainable life style. congrats!

Lisa Erickson 12-11-2010 10:00 PM

Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!

Ted Apollo 12-12-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 878283)
Thanks all! I am new to the CF forum and I love it! Doing my first Triathalon tomorrow morning just for fun. Going to think of it as a "chipper" WOD and power through it!

awesome! triathlons are so much fun. was it a sprint tri? how did you do?

Casey Crookston 12-16-2010 03:15 PM

Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Erickson (Post 877738)
To date I have lost 82 pounds (trying to get to 100lbs lost.)

I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!

Lisa Erickson 12-20-2010 10:22 PM

Thanks...Yes. I know muscle weighs more than fat. I am 5'9 inches and weighed in today at 188. I am super strong and proud of that. I think that 160ish is a reasonable goal for my height and age (almost 40) And yes....I know I should count calories. Blah blah blah. Ok I'll try it tomorrow. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Crookston (Post 880251)
Lisa,

Inspiring blog and impressive story! Thank you for taking the time to share.

I read your post on your blog (dated 12/10/2010) where you were venting about how frustrated you were that those last 20 lbs won't come off. And OH WOW, can I relate! Not that I'll say anything you haven't already considered, but, here's two things I wondered about as I read...

1) I assume you're keeping in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, and that you have no doubt built up a lot of muscle recently.

2) I KNOW I'm going to get myself in trouble for saying this, but I'm going to say it anyways. Have you considered keeping track of calories? (GASP!!)

I started to say more about this, but it was getting too long winded and I could see it hijacking your thread. So I started my own thread here. (safe) Short version: I've come to the conclusion that I was using Palio and Crossfit to over eat, and that to force myself to stop, I needed (for a while at least) to count calories. I'm not saying this is you too, but so far I'm seeing some positive results.

Good luck with those last 20 lbs. I hope you don't mind if I shared the URL of your blog with my wife. She just had out third child eight months ago and is struggling to get back to her pre-pregnancy body.

Thanks again!

Lisa Erickson 12-20-2010 10:24 PM

Didn't mean that to sound so bratty. I just mean I know I should count calories but I don't.

Jeremy R Johnson 12-21-2010 02:10 PM

Inspiring, Lisa! I sent your blog to a client whose daughter has PCOS. Keep up the good work.