CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   First steps to Crossfit Australia (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=16462)

Don Stevenson 08-12-2005 11:14 PM

For all the folks downunder. This is far from being anything official but I'm working on getting a crossfit/kettlebell gym up and running in Sydney Australia over the next few months.

The first stage is that i'm moving from my inner city shoebox apartment to a place with a garage and a parking lot out the front. The place is also walking distance to a big athletic field and a huge open grassy area.

The plan is to start running some crossfit workouts on Saturday mornings and build up some interest before moving into a real space sometime next year.

I'll have more details soon but for a start i know that the garage gym will have the following toys to play with.

Olympic bar and plates (Dodgy set for now but i'll be getting bumpers)
Pullup bar
Kettlebells from 8 to 32 kg
dumbells
A couple of tyres for dragging, flipping and slamming.
Sledgehammers
lots of grip toys
Sandbags
Boxing gear.

I'm also talking to a local metal work shop and finding out about a power rack and some other goodies.

Eric Cimrhanzel 08-12-2005 11:41 PM

That seals the deal right there. If one CrossFitter can make a CF/KB gym on another continent, anyone can.

Josh Hillis, I hope you're watching this. :happy:

Don Stevenson 08-12-2005 11:46 PM

And of course any Crossfitters or visiting service personnel from the US, UK or wherever who make it out my way will be more than welcome to come share the pain.

Fiona Muxlow 08-13-2005 04:39 PM

Don way to go! We will definatly have to train next time im down. Kickstart (the gym i work at) is becoming more and more CrossFit friendly now I have the owner working out with me and i even herd him recomending it to others on friday night after our WO.

The Gym is in an industrial area and is basically a big shead. Tin roof, brick walls, while in no way officaly CrossFit YET (mabye one day)
CrossFit friendly equipment we have include

* Olympic bars x 2 + 15kg training bar and weights
* About 20 broom sticks (used by kids for Jo work but hicked by me) Had the whole kids karate class doing OHS with them the other
week.
* Medicine Balls ranging from 2kg-9kg
* 6 Punching bags that aren't haning at the moment and can be used as sand bags.
* Rower
* Power rack and Bench
* Urban track marked at 100m, 200m and 800m around Gym block.
* Pull Up bar and Parrellets ( + therabands)
* Indoor wall ball traget
* 12 and 14" Box for jumps (more being made)
* 15 x 14m matted area as well as smaller 4x5m
* Power rings (Hopefully going up next week)
* Heaps of Dumbells
* Nothing bolted down do equipment can be moved eg for FGB
* CD with tabata intervals
* Buckets
* AND a picture of Pukie on the wall in pride of place behind the rower.

Things we DO NOT have
A pec dec
Airconditioning
HOT WATER system (nothing like a cold shower after WOD in winter.

Any CrossFitter ever in Townville welcome to drop in.

Pat Janes 08-13-2005 05:46 PM

I'm set now when I travel up the coast and down the coast!! Never been as far north as Townsville before, but I do make it to Sydney every now and then.

Nice work, guys!!

Joshua F Hillis 08-14-2005 03:15 PM

Yes Eric, I am watching this =) I'll email Coach and Lauren about getting official...

Actually "CrossFit Brazil" (all four of us) had our first group workout on Saturday. They're all newbies so the workout looked like this:

joint mobility warm up

practicing medicine ball cleans for 25 minutes - for some reason everyone in Brazil has perfect squatting form, so I teach everyone to clean the first day. Still working on it though, I basically use the burgener warm up, but with a medicine ball. It's going awesome.

The Workout: 12-15-9 burpees/ring rows. I didn't want to make anyone puke or die so I thought this would be about right. About four minutes of fun. I plan to build up slowly over the next few weeks.

followed by medicine ball throwing for fun. I taught them three ways to throw it (swing, chop, and wall ball) and my only rule was that they had to clean the ball before each throw. I thought they'd get tired/bored of throwing the medicine ball back and forth and playing wall ball... I got bored after a half hour - but they kept at it for well over an hour.

Then Ivan, the guy who puked mid-week, did Tabata squats with me, againt my assurances that he would get Rhabdo.

Best part is, I'm getting passable at coaching in Portuguese =p

Does this mean we have CrossFit on every continent yet? (excluding Antarctica of course)

Joshua F Hillis 08-14-2005 05:55 PM

I forgot the best part: Afterwards we stopped at one of the Kiosks at the lake where we worked out, 'cause some of them sell hamburgers and stuff. When we asked them if they had food, the lady working there told us that the food the sell is total crap and people like us would want to eat something better.

Andrew Cattermole 08-15-2005 12:36 AM

Nice Work Don
What suburb are we talking about?
Please keep me informed.
Thanks

Don Stevenson 08-15-2005 01:47 AM

The new place is in Randwick a couple of blocks from Centennial park and ES Marks athletic field.

Saturday workouts should start in about 4 weeks time and will follow the format of pukie inducing workout followed by BBQ breakfast:biggrin:

Fiona Muxlow 08-15-2005 03:24 AM

Put the power rings up today,thought i should use the smith machine for something :P