CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89483)

Vic McQuaide 07-09-2018 04:03 PM

Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

I don't think that the main players will pull a Murph. Backing off can be a good strategy; but no too much laying off.

Alex Burden 07-10-2018 09:15 AM

Cole Sager will place high this year I think. Based on his improvement last year I can see him being closer to the top 5.

I also think Iceland will be back in the women’s side, I am hoping for Sara.

Vic McQuaide 07-11-2018 08:49 AM

I wonder if Matt F will have some closer competitions? Maybe Castro will program a really tall person's workouts. I don't know if that will slow him down anyway. Canada is the up and going country right now with Patrick and Brent. Maybe a rookie will make a splash like last year.. ohh sorry Ricky.

AUS and Iceland will be hard to beat in the Women. I'd like to see a USA woman back on the podium again.

Alex Burden 07-13-2018 05:13 AM

I forgot all about Noah... now if he can use his head a bit more and plan the workouts better rather than blowing out as he did towards the end. This stopped him placing top 3.

Vic McQuaide 07-13-2018 11:56 AM

Alex, What happened to the boards. Almost dead. Hope CF keeps them. I have years of data in them.

Alex Burden 07-14-2018 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271762]Alex, What happened to the boards. Almost dead. Hope CF keeps them. I have years of data in them.[/QUOTE]

Good question Vic....

There are still a lot of people reading the board as I can see the views keeps on going up which means there is an interest in it.

I am a little quiet at the moment as we are on vacation but I will be back at full speed soon.

I wonder if it is possible to load the data to our computer so it does not disappear, we have a lot of good WODS there.

As long as people keep reading our stuff I will keep blogging it.

Share the info, share the vibe, share the fun, share disappointments and share our achievements :D

Mike Gray 07-16-2018 07:06 AM

Hey guys - I heard that somebody's been removed from the top 5 men in the European region. Does anyone know what's up?

Jon Campbell 07-16-2018 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Mike Gray;1271774]Hey guys - I heard that somebody's been removed from the top 5 men in the European region. Does anyone know what's up?[/QUOTE]

Failed drug test. Andrey Ganin was the one in Europe. I read that Frederik Aegidius has bee invited in is place.

Emily Abbott also failed which is a huge name.

13 athletes in all.

The two above qualified as individuals for the games. There were 3 others that were on teams that qualified. The other 8 were regional athletes but did not qualify for the games.

Mike Gray 07-16-2018 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1271778]Failed drug test. Andrey Ganin was the one in Europe. I read that Frederik Aegidius has bee invited in is place.

Emily Abbott also failed which is a huge name.

13 athletes in all.

The two above qualified as individuals for the games. There were 3 others that were on teams that qualified. The other 8 were regional athletes but did not qualify for the games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I read it. And man ... Emily. Ugh.

Alex Burden 07-16-2018 02:38 PM

Crossfit is no different to any other sport and I am pleased they are taking responsibility to try and keep it as clean as they can.

Of course someone is always trying to beat the system but hopefully HQ and the testing will wean them out.

Vic McQuaide 07-23-2018 01:52 PM

Picking the results 1-10 to win a Million $$'s . Wonder what the odds are of that. 30 results in order. Well you might be solid with Matt F in 1st. After that it crazy.

Vic McQuaide 07-23-2018 01:54 PM

First time they tested some of the non top 5 peeps and many busted. I did not get the feeling that they tested every regional athlete both individual and teams. Wonder what that number would be. Some did and have been busted for the wrong pre workout drink. Not that big of a deal. But some really go for it. :ranting2:

Alex Burden 07-24-2018 12:28 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271830]First time they tested some of the non top 5 peeps and many busted. I did not get the feeling that they tested every regional athlete both individual and teams. Wonder what that number would be. Some did and have been busted for the wrong pre workout drink. Not that big of a deal. But some really go for it. :ranting2:[/QUOTE]

Just the tip of the iceberg Vic. Imagine how many PED users there are in local or other competitions that never get caught as they are never tested.

Alex Burden 07-24-2018 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271831]Picking the results 1-10 to win a Million $$'s . Wonder what the odds are of that. 30 results in order. Well you might be solid with Matt F in 1st. After that it crazy.[/QUOTE]

I think you have more chance of winning the lottery than getting this right. :confused:

Jon Campbell 07-26-2018 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271830]First time they tested some of the non top 5 peeps and many busted. I did not get the feeling that they tested every regional athlete both individual and teams. Wonder what that number would be. Some did and have been busted for the wrong pre workout drink. Not that big of a deal. But some really go for it. :ranting2:[/QUOTE]

They don't test every regional athlete and why would they? Why waste the time and money testing someone that has zero chance of making it to the games? They did test anyone that could possibly make it, meaning someone in the top 5 gets busted. My guess is they test the top 10 at minimum.

Jon Campbell 07-26-2018 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1271836]Just the tip of the iceberg Vic. Imagine how many PED users there are in local or other competitions that never get caught as they are never tested.[/QUOTE]

I would guess the number if very small and to be honest who cares if someone is using at a local comp. I mean if the people running the comp want to spend the money to test more power to them but the money local comps pay (if any) isn't worth what PED's cost.

Vic McQuaide 07-26-2018 10:09 AM

Add to the budget to test every athlete in my book. The ones who are cheating to get to the regionals will keep on cheating to get to the games. Once they get that far they are a farce and now you have more scandal to deal with. HQ attacks legally anything that crosses the brand. Why not this? I do feel that they are making more of an attempt so progress is good.

Jon Campbell 07-26-2018 10:43 AM

Again, why test the bottom 2/3rds of regional athletes? It's throwing money away. Realistically there are only maybe 10 competitors at each region that has a real chance of making the games. IMO they are attacking this with extended testing and having a process in place that will allow for replacement of athletes that test positive. Beyond that there's no real threat to the brand regarding PED's. Every single sport around has PED issues. The only thing they can do is put a testing process in place and punish those that fail.

Vic McQuaide 07-26-2018 04:01 PM

Jon, Doing steroids or strong PED's can carry you past a sticking point or to the next level. Even if you get off them they are still in your system both physically and mentally. If your body gets enough access to the heavy weights, running faster or what ever it has memory. If someone gets a title of Regional competitor that can also give them even more energy for the quest to the games.

Alex Burden 07-27-2018 03:16 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1271856]Again, why test the bottom 2/3rds of regional athletes? It's throwing money away. Realistically there are only maybe 10 competitors at each region that has a real chance of making the games. IMO they are attacking this with extended testing and having a process in place that will allow for replacement of athletes that test positive. Beyond that there's no real threat to the brand regarding PED's. Every single sport around has PED issues. The only thing they can do is put a testing process in place and punish those that fail.[/QUOTE]

Testing the bottom 2/3rds would be flushing the system. This means you as an individual are going to be tested thus are you willing to take the risk?

I only wish they tested all those that qualified for the games prior to the start. Vic might have gone 2years back as someone got caught, but only after competing at the games.

My thoughts are as long as they are doing something things will only get better for the sport. Only time will tell.

Vic McQuaide 07-27-2018 09:18 AM

Alex, Yes that was so close. But thankfully did not go. Was busted up with injuries. Test them all find them all. Shoot throw in testing for all of the teens and masters.

Vic McQuaide 08-01-2018 11:39 AM

CLB bounce strict press. Thankfully Boz come over and sorted it out on the 3rd attempt. Good for you Boz

Alex Burden 08-02-2018 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271894]CLB bounce strict press. Thankfully Boz come over and sorted it out on the 3rd attempt. Good for you Boz[/QUOTE]

she did all 3 lifts the same way yet only 1 was a NR... either the athletes don't listen to the requirements or the judge was not that good.

either its a good lift or its a NRep...

Vic McQuaide 08-02-2018 03:47 PM

All three no reps but Boz came over right before her 3rd attempt. The males got the tougher judges for sure.

Alex Burden 08-03-2018 03:56 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271904]All three no reps but Boz came over right before her 3rd attempt. The males got the tougher judges for sure.[/QUOTE]

Very true, Cole Sager moved his heal and got a no rep

Maybe nerves for the judges at the start.

Drew Cloutier 08-04-2018 08:11 AM

The judging i've seen in general has not been consistent and kind of crappy.

There's been a couple ok/good judges but most seem like people they just picked off the street.

Also something as simple as a STRICT press...how do you mess that up...i mean you don't even have to listen to the directives to know, no bouncing, no jerking, no bending legs...makes me think some people were just gaming the system, seeing what they could get away with.

I will say Patrick Vellner surprised me big time with his DL, good on him.

You can tell some people don't really train the strict that much and work jerks and push presses way more.

Steven Ngo 08-04-2018 10:58 AM

Um, ok, so the slug/sled dog pull thing....

The finish is both feet need to cross into the blue line...

So, uh....can I just run to the finish line and leave the damn thing exactly where it is At the beginning? :rolleyes:

Should have been that the whole slug crosses the line.

Other than that, not a bad event that Chaos

Greg Morrison 08-06-2018 08:23 AM

Judging was very inconsistent throughout. HQ needs to get that right before it really costs someone.

Vic McQuaide 08-06-2018 10:04 AM

I think that its always going to be that way. Grid was a good example of judging. Those athletes were going so fast that sometimes the professional judges had a hard time keeping up. And they were fantastic at it. They had instant replay to help and rules on how to remedy the situation.

Noah Olsen was hosed in the Crit. His pedal fell off, clearly mechanical. Crit racing has mechanical stations on both sides of the coarse. So he and Pat V should have been able to get those fixed and get a free lap and finish in the pack. Extra wheels could have been around for those peeps who could have flatted. So they put so much time into the bikes, training the athletes.. could have been more informed. Pat and Noah would have been in better shape after the 1st event to give Mat F a better run.

The worst calls I saw were CLB doing her bounce strict press. I really can't believe that she did that to her judge. Almost like Brooke Wells and her hspu with new standards.

Don't even get me going on the 45+ masters men. What a S@#T show from the Masters Qual to half way thru the games.

Steven Ngo 08-06-2018 10:58 AM

another thought on Chaos:

Fikowski is so freakin' awesome. watch him on the burpees -- full burpee (full jump), burpee with slight jump, burpee with heel lift, burpee with no lift, just touch the tape. you can tell he's thinking "you're not gonna no rep me? fine, guess i'll just continue with these down-ups" :rofl:

Diana Alt 08-06-2018 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1271926]I think that its always going to be that way. Grid was a good example of judging. Those athletes were going so fast that sometimes the professional judges had a hard time keeping up. And they were fantastic at it. They had instant replay to help and rules on how to remedy the situation.

Noah Olsen was hosed in the Crit. His pedal fell off, clearly mechanical. Crit racing has mechanical stations on both sides of the coarse. So he and Pat V should have been able to get those fixed and get a free lap and finish in the pack. Extra wheels could have been around for those peeps who could have flatted. So they put so much time into the bikes, training the athletes.. could have been more informed. Pat and Noah would have been in better shape after the 1st event to give Mat F a better run.

The worst calls I saw were CLB doing her bounce strict press. I really can't believe that she did that to her judge. Almost like Brooke Wells and her hspu with new standards.

Don't even get me going on the 45+ masters men. What a S@#T show from the Masters Qual to half way thru the games.[/QUOTE]

CLB has a history of dodgy stuff at regionals and not being good to judges who hold her accountable, as does Brooke. I’ve been on the receiving end of Wells’ irritation.

What did you see that concerned you in Masters 45-49? Suffice to say I have intimate knowledge of that division....

Vic McQuaide 08-06-2018 03:46 PM

Diana- 45+ men. The MQ winner declined the invite. He is a top 3 qual type person but doesn't hit top 10 in the games. Bill G announcing for the 2nd time and taking a spot. James G high qualifier each time but doesn't seem to find the games shape out, Felix who lost his videos and HG gave him a chance to re do some workouts posted a 840 score on MQ workout but only did 760ish on the redo and HQ let him in injured himself the day prior to the games. Who the heck trains hard on eve of the games. They guy who used an AB mat on the HSPU on the MQ with no plates got in and was almost last. Glad to be out of that division and into the 50's next year.

So happy to see my buddies Amanda A and Tonia go 1 and 2 in the womens 45+.

Jon Campbell 08-07-2018 06:40 AM

Edit: nevermind, just saw the story.

As far as the judging, no way you can have an event with this many opportunities are judging errors and not have them. Well, at least not have instances where some will disagree with the decision a judge made.

Now I do believe the bikes having mechanical issues is a big problem. Crossfit supplies these bikes and to have one break on a competitor is not good. It's not fair to the competitor and as we know one bad finish can cost you a podium spot. I like that they are having events like the bike race but if you can't fairly address equipment failures like Noah had they need to stop including them.

Alex Burden 08-07-2018 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1271934]Edit: nevermind, just saw the story.

As far as the judging, no way you can have an event with this many opportunities are judging errors and not have them. Well, at least not have instances where some will disagree with the decision a judge made.

Now I do believe the bikes having mechanical issues is a big problem. Crossfit supplies these bikes and to have one break on a competitor is not good. It's not fair to the competitor and as we know one bad finish can cost you a podium spot. I like that they are having events like the bike race but if you can't fairly address equipment failures like Noah had they need to stop including them.[/QUOTE]

I think any of the equipment used - rowers, ergs and so on can break or malfunction as long as they have a plan on how to not affect the athletes that much is vital.

seconds lost means points lost, which in turn can lead to a lower placing at the end which in the end is also prize money to the competitor.

Mind you it could have been worse....

Jon Campbell 08-08-2018 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1271941]I think any of the equipment used - rowers, ergs and so on can break or malfunction as long as they have a plan on how to not affect the athletes that much is vital.

seconds lost means points lost, which in turn can lead to a lower placing at the end which in the end is also prize money to the competitor.

Mind you it could have been worse....[/QUOTE]

I get that but if a rower breaks surely they have spare rowers at the ready and the athlete can be back to rowing in no time. When a bike pedal falls off on a 1200M, or whatever it was, course what you are going to do? You can't have a spare bike on every inch of the course.

So yes, equipment failures happen but 99% of events are performed in essentially one place/spot. This makes equipment replacement fairly seamless as long as they have spare equipment at the ready.

Jacob Burns 08-08-2018 01:55 PM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1271943]I get that but if a rower breaks surely they have spare rowers at the ready and the athlete can be back to rowing in no time. When a bike pedal falls off on a 1200M, or whatever it was, course what you are going to do? You can't have a spare bike on every inch of the course.

So yes, equipment failures happen but 99% of events are performed in essentially one place/spot. This makes equipment replacement fairly seamless as long as they have spare equipment at the ready.[/QUOTE]

I mean, they were riding tREKS......... HEYOOOOO!!! (insider cyclist joke)

Andrew Bell 08-14-2018 07:12 AM

I actually liked most of the events at the Games this year. Wasn't a fan of the bikes since there were quite a few equipment failures, something you don't want to see given the fact that the athlete's were not in charge of them (unlike a tri where they own the bike). Yes, there were for sure some judging inconsistencies, but that's going to happen in heats of 10-15. I wish we could narrow the scope so that this was not such a big deal, I think Dave and Boz have some room to work here with ideas to get there, and they seem to solve many problems, so hopefully we will see something one day.

About testing the athlete's at Regional's, it is simply too cost prohibitive to do this. I do think you would pop several more, but what's important is that the ones who go are the ones who don't get popped. That's really the best you can do. Before long it could look like the international Olympic Lifting community and 3-6 getting popped every year. No one wants that in the sport, but everyone wants a level playing field. Hard to have the best of both worlds when it comes to PEDs.