CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89483)

Brad Gerbrandt 03-07-2018 09:15 AM

Re: 2018 CrossFit Open, Regionals and Games Thread

I'm kinda pulling for 15.4 (hspu and cleans) to be the redo. It could also be 17.3 as we haven't seen C2b and snatches yet. I have a feeling that, other than the redo, each event will have a new movement. I could see Castro being put off by all the lists claiming to have unlocked the open and listing all the movements that have been tested. Hence his video stating it's going to be unlike anything we have seen before...or whatever term he used.

Other events I would like to take another shot at are 11.4 (burpees, OHS and MU) or 11.3 (squat clean and jerk). We have already seen repeats of movements within the same year (burpees in 16.1 and 16.5) so I think 11.4 is still on the table. If any movements are repeated, burpees are the most likely candidate. I don't see TTB coming up again this year so while I really liked 13.4 (TTB and clean and jerks) I don't think it will be the redo. I also don't think we will see 7 minutes of burpees showing up again due to the fact that there were so many tied scores. It didn't differentiate individuals enough to be included in a good test of fitness.

Jon Campbell 03-07-2018 09:41 AM

Really hoping no OHS or Squat Snatches come up. I can't do either due to shoulder mobility so if they do I guess I'm out.

Jordan Derksen 03-07-2018 03:47 PM

One of the workouts from a past open I remember smashing me the hardest was the 30 DU and 95lb Power Snatch one from I think 2012. I haven't competed since then so I've missed a lot. That one was brutal though.

Jon Campbell 03-08-2018 07:23 AM

[QUOTE=Jordan Derksen;1270893]One of the workouts from a past open I remember smashing me the hardest was the 30 DU and 95lb Power Snatch one from I think 2012. I haven't competed since then so I've missed a lot. That one was brutal though.[/QUOTE]

That was 2014, weight was 75lbs. And that one smoked me as well.

Vic McQuaide 03-08-2018 12:55 PM

Hope 18.3 gets people off feet and upside down. HSPU and C2b. Heck throw in a new event. HS walks. Would be easy to measure. 5' increments out and back playing field.

Brad Gerbrandt 03-08-2018 01:47 PM

Hey Jordan,

That was done in 2011 and 2014. My favourite event by far! Since it's already been done twice I doubt it will come up again, but I can only hope!

Vic McQuaide 03-08-2018 04:53 PM

Loved the dubs and light snatch. Got 360 in the open last time and 390 2 weeks ago. Bring that one on! HEheHE

Jon Campbell 03-09-2018 07:14 AM

100 DU's followed by 13 mins of looking at memes on my phone.

Vic McQuaide 03-09-2018 11:19 AM

Well looks like dubs for days. With some MU in the middle.

Alex Burden 03-13-2018 01:04 AM

Seems that quite a few people registered their score incorretly making the leaderboard look a bit funny.

What i don't understand is that if you are affiliated the owner shouldn't they double check that the score and time is correct before validating. I find it hard to beleive that 61 people actually finished this abd beat the likes of Matt, Rich and others.

I wonder if CFHQ will remove the scores or not?

[B]While i am on a roll and the iron is hot[/B]
I also hope they fix the leaderboard so that anyone that does not register a score for 1 week ends up below everyone that has completed all 5 weeks.
This would be in line with the Rx vs Scaled... 1 rep Rx is worth more than 500 scaled reps so i feel the principle should be the same... maybe add DNS (did not start) to the score so that they can code all DNS results to the bottom of the pack.

I think its only fair... 4 out of 5 is not completing The open! 5 out of 5 scaled weeks is worth more than 4 Rx out of 5 weeks and 1 DNS

Jon Campbell 03-13-2018 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270935]Seems that quite a few people registered their score incorretly making the leaderboard look a bit funny.

What i don't understand is that if you are affiliated the owner shouldn't they double check that the score and time is correct before validating. I find it hard to beleive that 61 people actually finished this abd beat the likes of Matt, Rich and others.

I wonder if CFHQ will remove the scores or not?

[B]While i am on a roll and the iron is hot[/B]
I also hope they fix the leaderboard so that anyone that does not register a score for 1 week ends up below everyone that has completed all 5 weeks.
This would be in line with the Rx vs Scaled... 1 rep Rx is worth more than 500 scaled reps so i feel the principle should be the same... maybe add DNS (did not start) to the score so that they can code all DNS results to the bottom of the pack.

I think its only fair... 4 out of 5 is not completing The open! 5 out of 5 scaled weeks is worth more than 4 Rx out of 5 weeks and 1 DNS[/QUOTE]
If you aren't going to regional does it really matter that much?

Alex Burden 03-13-2018 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270938]If you aren't going to regional does it really matter that much?[/QUOTE]

If it didnít matter then why bother with the open?

Jon Campbell 03-13-2018 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270939]If it didnít matter then why bother with the open?[/QUOTE]
I guess what would it change if they did what you are asking? For someone that didn't finish a workout to be ranked ahead of you, you would have to be pretty far down the rankings. Is being in 90,000th place over 95,000th place really change anything? I mean you still get a good idea of where you stand against the world.

Alex Burden 03-13-2018 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270940]I guess what would it change if they did what you are asking? For someone that didn't finish a workout to be ranked ahead of you, you would have to be pretty far down the rankings. Is being in 90,000th place over 95,000th place really change anything? I mean you still get a good idea of where you stand against the world.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to say a good idea of your fitness compared to actually knowing compared to everyone else is a big difference. In the masters the numbers add up and should be correct.

Comparing my fitness over many years is and should be based on fact and not fiction. CFHQ need to fix the errors to show that the leaderboard is a true and comparable.

Jon Campbell 03-13-2018 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270941]Sorry to say a good idea of your fitness compared to actually knowing compared to everyone else is a big difference. In the masters the numbers add up and should be correct.

Comparing my fitness over many years is and should be based on fact and not fiction. CFHQ need to fix the errors to show that the leaderboard is a true and comparable.[/QUOTE]

If accurate picture is what you are truly looking for then I'd argue it does show it. If someone is so much fitter than you that they can miss a workout and still be ranked ahead of you gives a more accurate picture than just moving them down because they missed a workout. If Matt Fraser missed 18.3 does that make you fitter than him?

Vic McQuaide 03-13-2018 09:45 AM

I guess with over 400k scores they make mistakes. But the owner also has to validate the score. Its simple they put RX instead of scale. Checked the wrong box.

Alex Burden 03-13-2018 11:58 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270942]If accurate picture is what you are truly looking for then I'd argue it does show it. If someone is so much fitter than you that they can miss a workout and still be ranked ahead of you gives a more accurate picture than just moving them down because they missed a workout. If Matt Fraser missed 18.3 does that make you fitter than him?[/QUOTE]

In that case it would be a DNS... did not complete the open

Alex Burden 03-14-2018 01:00 AM

Someone at CFHQ has paid attention to the comments because the bad scores are gone from the top of the leaderboard.

Jayme Gruber 03-14-2018 06:16 AM

[QUOTE=Jon Campbell;1270942]If accurate picture is what you are truly looking for then I'd argue it does show it. If someone is so much fitter than you that they can miss a workout and still be ranked ahead of you gives a more accurate picture than just moving them down because they missed a workout. If Matt Fraser missed 18.3 does that make you fitter than him?[/QUOTE]
:thanx:

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1270956]Someone at CFHQ has paid attention to the comments because the bad scores are gone from the top of the leaderboard.[/QUOTE]
No, they didn't. They are capable of seeing anomalies on the leaderboard without having to check here for what might be amiss.

Jon Campbell 03-14-2018 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=Jayme Gruber;1270958]:thanx:

No, they didn't. They are capable of seeing anomalies on the leaderboard without having to check here for what might be amiss.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Seems like this happens every year with at least one workout. With 300,000+ people entering scores, it's a certainty that some won't be able to follow directions. You just have to be patient.

Vic McQuaide 03-14-2018 02:31 PM

OK 2 weeks left-
C2B
Wall balls
Thrusters
Snatch
Box jumps
Dead lifts
Shoulder to Overhead
Clean and Jerk
HSPU
Lunges of some type-

What is the prediction-
18.1 Long time domain- 20 min 3 exercises
18.2 Shorter- 4-12 min
18.2A Max test short with fatigue
18.3 14 min or medium.

I'm thinking that they should do one of those separators where in x:xx time you finish this work load and then get more time. Maybe a repeat of 17.3 C2B/Squat snatch?

I vote 10 min AMRAP
8 C2B
8 HSPU

Alex Burden 03-15-2018 12:42 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1270963]OK 2 weeks left-
C2B
Wall balls
Thrusters
Snatch
Box jumps
Dead lifts
Shoulder to Overhead
Clean and Jerk
HSPU
Lunges of some type-

What is the prediction-
18.1 Long time domain- 20 min 3 exercises
18.2 Shorter- 4-12 min
18.2A Max test short with fatigue
18.3 14 min or medium.

I'm thinking that they should do one of those separators where in x:xx time you finish this work load and then get more time. Maybe a repeat of 17.3 C2B/Squat snatch?

I vote 10 min AMRAP
8 C2B
8 HSPU[/QUOTE]

Looking at how difficult it is to bring the best of the best to the games i don't think they are going to leave this to chance, so i believe this will be a seperator again. HSPU will split at all levels just as the muscle up did last week.

HSPU, barbell squat cleans - 10min AMRAP
or
Walballs, HSPU increasing ladder/chipper - 12min AMRAP

Jayme Gruber 03-15-2018 06:34 AM

They seem to leave thrusters for week 5 with one other movement so I feel like they'll stick with that couplet next week. I agree w Vic also in that they need one of those "finish in X time and you get another round WODs" so maybe 13.5

As for this week, that leaves a lot of things undone so far (not that they have to include every movement possible each year) so I'm guessing a medium length WOD with 3-5 movements. I don't predict a repeat, based on Castro's Tweet the other day.

Vic McQuaide 03-15-2018 02:59 PM

HSPU and wall balls that would be a good one. People will underestimate how they the same movement except one is upside down.

But who knows what they throw at us. Will be interesting regardless.

Jordan Derksen 03-15-2018 05:51 PM

Diane + heavier Diane!

I've always thought they should do more of the original named workouts for open workouts, at least one a year. I love the heavy addition to the end. the 315 deadlifts (55 of them!) and handstand walking will be a big separator.

Alex Burden 03-16-2018 01:00 AM

Just HSPU is going to seperate the field again for the normal crossfitter.

Vic McQuaide 03-16-2018 12:45 PM

Those new standards for HSPU is a separator also.

Jordan Derksen 03-16-2018 12:48 PM

My best Diane was 6:17... 5.5 years ago. Then I took a 5 year break. Ya I doubt iíll even get to the second part in 9 mins. Only been back at it for 3 weeks ha ha.

Jon Campbell 03-20-2018 12:22 PM

18.5 is 13.5 with DB thrusters...right?

Alex Burden 03-21-2018 04:11 AM

I hope not, that will be a burner...

What the hell, whatever Castro is going to throw at us is going to hurt for everyone...

Brad Gerbrandt 03-21-2018 06:50 AM

I have always said that Castro's clues mean nothing and we should just ignore them.

He has stated that every year will have a repeat. Based on his clue, I think that we will be seeing 2 repeats somehow mixed into one. This could also serve as more of a separator than many workouts we have seen in the past.

Jon Campbell 03-21-2018 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Brad Gerbrandt;1271032]I have always said that Castro's clues mean nothing and we should just ignore them.

He has stated that every year will have a repeat. Based on his clue, I think that we will be seeing 2 repeats somehow mixed into one. This could also serve as more of a separator than many workouts we have seen in the past.[/QUOTE]I think they do mean something but they are so obscure that you can't figure them out.

For 18.5 Castro will release 3 WODs at 5:00 CST. The community will have 2 hours to vote on which WOD they want to do.

Brad Gerbrandt 03-21-2018 08:25 AM

Yep, just saw that about the vote.

Alex Burden 03-21-2018 09:05 AM

Thus the clue, 1 of 3

Vic McQuaide 03-21-2018 12:21 PM

Castro to announce 3 options tomorrow 3PM. The one that gets the most votes is 18.5. Hope they pick the best one for me. I hope that they gave it more thought than the hspu standard.

Greg Morrison 03-23-2018 08:03 AM

Was just watching the announcement replay. Sigmundsdottir's "full" extension at the top of the thrusters?

Jon Campbell 03-23-2018 08:20 AM

I hate thrusters but did vote for 11.6. Overhead squats are just such a struggle for me due to shoulder mobility and I never know how they will feel from day to day. I just couldn't vote for 14.2.

Jordan Derksen 03-27-2018 08:17 AM

Why does the menís side always seem to be completely dominated by one person that no one else can even come close to but the womenís side seems to be a tight race between a few people that almost anyoneís game up to the last workout. There has been some years that have been a tighter race on the menís side as well, but mostly it seems thereís one guy wiping the floor with everyone else.

Greg Morrison 03-27-2018 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Jordan Derksen;1271080]Why does the menís side always seem to be completely dominated by one person that no one else can even come close to but the womenís side seems to be a tight race between a few people that almost anyoneís game up to the last workout. There has been some years that have been a tighter race on the menís side as well, but mostly it seems thereís one guy wiping the floor with everyone else.[/QUOTE]

Because Matt Fraser

Alex Burden 07-09-2018 02:28 AM

[B]So who is going to win the games this year???[/B]

If things are going to be as hard as Castro says the first day will this beat them down so much they breakdown and fall back or will the athletes just pace it off knowing they have 3 days left?