CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Footwear? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=49229)

Andrew Bayro 07-25-2009 12:55 PM

Footwear?

so im fairly new to crossfit, and as i get into it im seeing you have to get shoes accordingly. i was wondering if there was a certain brand or kind of shoes that is widely used with crossfitters. i found inov shoes on the crossfit endurance page, but dont know if those are good, or if there is some better. i do some trail running, but it is a very mild trail with crushed gravel. any help would be greatly appreciated

Scott Stevens 07-25-2009 02:46 PM

Re: Footwear?

Andrew: Welcome aboard!

This question will get you a dozen different answers from a dozen different people.

For a shoe for straight up lifting, most will say to get a pair of weightlifting shoes.

For a shoe for straight running, some will say get a running shoe and some will say learn POSE and get some flat soled shoes (converse, vans, DCs, etc)

For the in-between (a WOD that includes lifting and running) is the grey area. I like my Vans but others like those five-finger shoes.

Do a board search on footwear or shoes and you'll find lots of opinions.

Thomas Covington 07-25-2009 03:34 PM

Scott said it well, to each their own.

Another popular choice to his list are indoor soccer shoes such as Samba's.

I believe when you are just starting out it is probably best to get a pair that you can use all around rather than a specialized style such as weightlifting or VFF's.

Eugene Goldashkin 07-25-2009 03:55 PM

i have puma H-streets, DC's, nike running shoes. but i thend to use my running shoes most of the work outs unless it involves lifting then i go barefoot. if it is a mix of both i wear the H-streets or DC's

Ahmik Jones 07-26-2009 07:53 PM

Like the post above said, for the workouts that involve both running and lifting, (or jumping and lifting, or rowing and lifting) indoor soccer shoes seem to be the best compromise.

Ryan M. Hale 07-27-2009 05:10 AM

Andrew,

If you are new, I wouldnt worry about shoes. I have lifted all my life and shoes have never been a big concern. If you start getting in to real heavy lifts then you may want to invest in a lifting shoe, but as a Novice I would not worry about it.

Just my thoughts on the Footware debate!

RH

Victor Myers 07-27-2009 07:27 AM

Trail running shoes like the solomon xa pros have less cushion than most running shoes, and therefore less forward lean. If there is a running or box jump workout, I go with these. If it's a lifting cal workout I just go barefoot.

Leanne M Lloyd 07-27-2009 07:43 AM

I vote for vibram five fingers for everything.

Rick Hardin 07-27-2009 08:10 AM

This always cracks me up about CrossFitters.

They'll make fun of you for wearing gloves, complete with "match your purse" jokes.....but they'll obsess over the latest in footwear.....which is much more girly.

:rofl:

Just make sure your Vibrams match your purse!

Leanne M Lloyd 07-27-2009 08:42 AM

Sorry to disappoint you sugar, but I don't even own a purse. Previously I was lifting barefoot but I happen to like being able to run around the pond for part of my warm up without having to worry about taking off my shoes before I start lifting. It's feels a lot better than cramming my foot into the "latest - greatest fad running shoe" that always comes up short anyway. BTW I also wear gloves when it's cold. sorry to disrupt your sterotype.