CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Final games thoughts (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=69139)

Ryan Hoegner 09-09-2011 12:14 PM

Re: Final games thoughts

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;983758]Perhaps athlete locator info and random testing would alleviate most of the problems. The money (advertising, sponsorship and winnings) is getting up there, but it may not be quite high enough to justify year-round random testing... yet[/QUOTE]

You'd have to randomly test about 200,000 people world wide. Yah, we are not there yet...

:D

ps: annie is yoked!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean Dunston 09-09-2011 12:30 PM

[QUOTE=Ryan Hoegner;983771]You'd have to randomly test about 200,000 people world wide. Yah, we are not there yet...

:D

ps: annie is yoked!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bother with that. big PL federations don't even do that - just the top athletes, and those who set records. I guess the theory behind not testing everyone (other than cost) would be: why test people who "don't have a chance to win" the ultimate prize anyway?

So - anyone who makes it Regionals would be subject to testing - for a start.

Katherine Derbyshire 09-09-2011 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;983777]I wouldn't bother with that. big PL federations don't even do that - just the top athletes, and those who set records. I guess the theory behind not testing everyone (other than cost) would be: why test people who "don't have a chance to win" the ultimate prize anyway?

So - anyone who makes it Regionals would be subject to testing - for a start.[/QUOTE]

The way US Olympic sports do it is to define "elite" in a way relevant to the sport, and subject everyone who fits that definition to random testing. You can also ask to be in the testing pool, and you have to be in the pool by a certain date to be considered for things like the Olympic team.

Katherine

Zach Reed 09-09-2011 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;983758]Perhaps athlete locator info and random testing would alleviate most of the problems. The money (advertising, sponsorship and winnings) is getting up there, but it may not be quite high enough to justify year-round random testing... yet[/QUOTE]

I think it's heading towards year-round random testing, and that it'll happen sooner than some may think.

I heard that there was some testing at Regionals this year as well, which is at least a step in the right direction.

Ryan Hoegner 09-09-2011 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Sean Dunston;983777]
So - anyone who makes it Regionals would be subject to testing - for a start.[/QUOTE]

Regionals are only a couple months out from the games, so I wouldn't call that year-around. (im not trying to debate, just busting your balls! haha)

Sean Dunston 09-09-2011 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Ryan Hoegner;983793]Regionals are only a couple months out from the games, so I wouldn't call that year-around. (im not trying to debate, just busting your balls! haha)[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I totally get that, and don't worry about busting my balls, I've been kicked a few times!

That said, at the end of the "Open" we know who qualifies for regionals, so that gives a bit more time. Of course, we already know who qualified for the Games in 2011, so I'd say all of them would be on the table subject to testing too. if they refuse, fine - they just would be subject to whatever penalty is appropriate, similar to whatever punishment a positive test would bring... perhaps: ineligible to compete in future Games?

Michael Kelley 09-09-2011 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Stu Christensen;983747]Who said that?

Also, there has been nearly ZERO testing of steroid use and its benefits/harms. I am surprised you just posted this...can you link some studies for proof - not "stories". Thanx.[/QUOTE]

They haven't done double blind, placebo controlled studies on meth but nobody doubts the "stories."

Here's a resource:
[url]http://www.drugabuse.gov/infofacts/steroids.html[/url]
(wfs)

Eric Montgomery 09-10-2011 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=Evan Peikon;983729]i guess i was being to positive. i guess id like to believe that the top tier athletes are just that ( as in top tier athletes).
its dissapoitning to think that a lot of them got that way via chemistry opposed to training/genetics.
on the other hand though there are some amazing athletes who id guarantee aren't using. like speal, [B]he's a amazing athlete but not so freaky that he'd have to use drugs to get to that level[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Drugs could help turn Speal into superman, or they could help a lower-level athlete get up to the level of a Speal or Froning. That's why they're called performance enhancing drugs. What's your cutoff of just how "freaky" someone has to be before you consider the possibility that they're on something?

You're a bit naive to think that top tier athletes wouldn't take something that could give them another 1% edge over their competitors when there's millions of dollars or a gold medal at stake, especially if they were reasonably sure they wouldn't get caught.

Evan Peikon 09-10-2011 08:53 AM

eric i get that. I'm trying to figure out my wording to get my point across. but what I'm trying to say is, that the level that speal or froning for that matter are both levels of fitness that are possibly attainable by non drug using athletes. however someone like mariusz podzianowski had to have taken drugs to get to that level, because it would be humanly impossible to achieve his feats and have that physique without drugs. maybe i am naive but that just my opinion i guess.

Wayne Reeder 09-10-2011 11:52 AM

Aren't anabolics PALEO!!!? What's the big deal?

I read an article a while back on steroids (aka "gear") written by a powerlifter (I thought it was on StrengthVillain, but couldn't find it there) that blew me away. Basically, there aren't many risks as long as you do your homework. I concluded that if you are a highly competitive athlete you are either: a genetic gift from God if you don't need them (highly unlikely) or an idiot for getting caught using them (you timed your cycle wrong). Besides, all the PEDs in the world won't turn average genetics Joe Schmo into Ronnie Coleman. These guys already have awesome genetics, it's just another piece of gear in their training toolbox (hence the nickname).

The only competitive athletes that I 100% believe don't currently use PEDs as part of their off-season training are the top tier US Olympic athletes, like Michael Phelps, that volunteer for ridiculous amounts of off-season testing. Other countries don't necessarily test their athletes year round. I really would like to think otherwise, but the cynic in me refuses to accept that based on a single test at a competition.

The world of sports would be so much cooler if steroids were just ignored. Remember how cool baseball was in the late 90s when McGuire and Sosa were hitting (sometimes multiple) homeruns every game?