CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 04-27-2010 10:36 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

The second workout today consisted of 5 sets of 3 front squats. The first set was at 135, the second at 155, the third and fourth at 185. I was able to clean the weight for the last set but dropped it at the squat. I reduced the weight to 155 and finished the last set. I hit new PRs for the clean and the front squat.

The front squat is really a full body exercise. It involves much more of your body than the back squat. It is also much more functional, due to the fact that a load would more likely be in front of your body in your hands as opposed to balanced on your back.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-27-2010 10:44 PM

By the way, I counted 27 workouts I completed in my first 31 days. Not bad, considering I am still adjusting to these workouts, both mentally and physically.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-28-2010 07:47 PM

I was pretty much sore from head to toe today, so I am giving myself an off day to relax.

Stephen R. Lampl 04-28-2010 09:07 PM

[quote=Benjamin R. Greene;776237]I was pretty much sore from head to toe today, so I am giving myself an off day to relax.[/quote]

Ben,

Sorry I haven't dropped by the last few - - outta commission of sorts, but feeling better today.

Glad you took a rest day today. The volume of work you have performed is amazing, but I think (personally) that it may be taking a toll on your body. You appear to hit all your workouts hard - - like we CrossFitters should, and they are difficult. That's what makes CF work. Even the most bad-a** CFer doesn't generally do [I][B]three[/B][/I] WODs in one day at the intensity you give. Two workouts are also often the exception rather than the rule.

I hope I am not sounding a bit condescending, but remember, rest is just as important as the workouts themselves. Develop a training cycle which works for you [I][B]and[/B][/I] incorporated rest days. The default CrossFit cycle is 3 on - 1 off, 3 on - 1 off, etc. If you aren't resting in a cycle and are pushing yourself until you must rest, you are actually hurting your performance. Incorporate your rest breaks and your strength and performance (with your capabilities already) will skyrocket!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-28-2010 11:52 PM

Thanks Stephen! I would rather be advised to be careful of overdoing it than told to pick it up. I feel proud to to be told, "Hey, take it easy" by a guy who is as dedicated as you. :) In my mind, you wrote the book regarding perserverance in the face of adversity.

I have been trying to give it one hundred percent. I am glad it shows in my log. I concede I am certainly throwing a lot more exercise at my body than I ever have, but I am trying to keep an eye on the overtraining issue. If I can maintain this pace for a year, just imagine.;)

Benjamin R. Greene 04-29-2010 09:25 PM

My pull up bar was finally installed today, so I decided to test my pull ups on it, naturally. I did 10 (recent PR), 3, 2, 2. Then I repped my recent PR in the push press of 135 for 5 reps, then another set of two. About six weeks ago, when I was in Hong Kong on my vacation, I was only able to get 8 reps on the pull ups, so, progress is welcome.:highfive:

When I say something is a "recent PR", I mean I have done better than that in my lifetime, but not recently. For instance, my PRs in high school for pull ups and the push press were 22 and 185, respectively. But that was a long time ago...:shrug:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-30-2010 04:42 PM

I went to a big box gym today, so I tried some back squat exercises. I did my recent PR at 315, then a set of two reps at 315. I failed at a third set. Then I did 14 reps at 205. I felt psychologically like my legs should be able to do more, but they just felt incapable.:thumbs_do

Benjamin R. Greene 05-02-2010 08:53 PM

My wife and I went to the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood, California for our first anniversary this weekend. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. It is a beautiful hotel with panoramic views of the entire LA area.

On Saturday I did 3 rounds of 15 burpees, with 30 second rests. I finished them, barely, but my performances are definitely improving. My heart rate was racing away at the end of the third round so badly I did a major "Crossfit flop" on the bed in the hotel room and stayed there for probably 15 minutes until I got a grip on myself.

Today, I did 5 rounds of 3 OHS at 135. I couldn't really check my form due to lack of a mirror, but I think I had increasing difficulty breaking parallel. I would guess the last two sets weren't there, for sure.

Then I did 4 sets of 5 reps on the pull up bar. I am still working on my kipping form.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-02-2010 11:03 PM

Since I was feeling a little anxious about work tomorrow, instead of having a drink I thought I would try doing a second workout. So, I did thrusters at 95 lbs for 11, 10, and 9 reps. Another workout that was much harder than it seemed on paper. I am trying to bring up my thruster and pull up abilities in preparation for challenging Fran.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-05-2010 11:26 PM

After two days off to allow my body to recover, I completed the first half of the first round of "Fran". I did 21 95 lb thrusters. By the end my upper body was spent and my heartrate was skyrocketing. If it had been 22 thrusters, I would have failed for sure. I then repped out a couple of weak pullups, but it was clearly going nowhere so I called it quits. But hey, I demonstrated I can do the first part.:)