CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Kevin Simons 04-24-2010 02:20 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Hey congrats on the ring dips and repping the old deadlift PRs! That's badass! You should upload a few pics of the garage gym. It sounds pretty nice, we would like to see it! Good work bro, keep it up!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-24-2010 09:49 PM

Thanks, man! I am working hard on really pimping out the gym. Once I get it all done, be sure bragging through photos will ensue.

My mother is always a brutal critic of my physique. The last time she saw me (before I started CrossFit), she exclaimed, "Oh my God, have you been drinking a lot? You are so fat! Look at that belly on you!" She really went on and on for twenty minutes. Thanks, Mom.:(

Today, I went and had lunch at my parents' house, a rare treat indeed. I get invited over about once a year. My mom admitted I look much thinner, although, as she put it, "there is still room for improvement." Nevertheless, I am still happy that my most ruthless critic admits I have made progress in that area.

She and my dad are moving towards a very strict vegan diet. Any comments? They swear it is supposed to reverse my dad's diabetes. I certainly don't want to get that, and I'm sure there is a hereditary component.

Kevin Simons 04-24-2010 10:52 PM

I am no nutritionist. I have dialed in my diet to find what works for me and some of the guys I train from an athletic standpoint, but that is about it. That said, I haven't ever heard of meat contributing to diabetes. Some old school thinking may associate the saturated fat and cholesterol in animal products with coronary heart disease.. but diabetes? Type II diabetes is an issue concerning the body's ability to regulate blood sugar, which rises predominantly from carbohydrates. A vegan diet is almost solely carbohydrate... It makes no sense to me.. but what do I know? Open the question up to a wider audience and post in the Nutrition section of the forum. Or do a little research yourself. Just keep in mind that any control group is likely to be the traditional high carb/low fat diet promoted by the ADA, which (sadly) almost certainly DOES contribute to the disease. You are unlikely to come across a comparison between a vegan and paleo diet for this topic, but let me know what you find.

Working out, however, is definitely correlated with lower rates of the disease. Personally, I would go with the diet that supports training, and in my experience that is Paleo. Have you known many vegans? It is just about impossible to be an athlete on that nutritional plan. Every one I have met has been scrawny almost to the point of emaciation. No thank you.

And don't worry about what mom or anyone else says. You are doing this for YOU, remember? And you are obviously doing great. You're setting PRs, achieving goals, and from the sound of your comments, just generally enjoying life. That is how it should be. :)

Benjamin R. Greene 04-25-2010 03:08 PM

Absolutely true. I will post the question to the Nutrition forum and see what people say.

As for today's workout, I just decided to approach my home gym the way my six year old son sees it: As a playground.

So, I started by playing on the rings, and did a personal record five dips on the rings, followed by another personal record of six pull ups on them. I am working hard towards achieving my personal goal of one muscle up within a year of starting CrossFit.

I also did a PR of 185 on the power clean and another PR of 30 on the wall runs. I am definitely getting stronger, no doubt about it. I also did an overhead walk with a 53 lb kettlebell.

Oh, another insight into the necessary adaptation to the CrossFit lifestyle: I slept 15 hours last night. I think my body is trying to tell me something. Perhaps my sense of overtraining recently is correlated with my lack of sufficient rest. I have started to do enormously more physical activities, so it would make sense that my need for rest has increased. I am going to impose an 11 pm "lights out" curfew on myself and see if that makes a difference.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-25-2010 05:03 PM

Oh wow. It's amazing how hard even simple-appearing workouts on CrossFit can be. I just did:

2 min face-high KB swings at 53 lbs (PR, I used to be only able to do 2 min at 35 lbs)

3 sets of 15 burpees, 60 seconds approx rest between sets. 2 times as Rx'd, third set failed at 12, then finished last four.

Those burpees were just insanely hard. That was the first time I had ever tried to do them. They look so easy when the CF studs do them on the online videos. My legs are burning like mad. I need to add those to the list of exercises that require some extra attention. So far, those include ring dips, the 800 meter run, front squats, and now burpees. I was at the very edge of :puke0000:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-25-2010 06:53 PM

Since I still felt energetic, I decided to do a third workout today. I ran a mile in a PR 8:27. I could have gone faster if my legs weren't so burnt out from all the workouts today, but hey, even a two second PR is a PR.

Now I am definitely done for the day.:surrende:

Benjamin R. Greene 04-27-2010 02:07 AM

I had a pretty down day, so I wasn't really feeling like working out, but I did something anyway. I guess I need to celebrate every victory, even if it is just doing something when I don't want to. I signed my reorganization papers today and someone said some mean things about me on the internet. I suppose I should get used to that. I am a pretty high profile guy locally, and it comes with the territory. At least at this point, it still hurts.:(

In any case, I did 3 sets of 15 burpees. Each set took a minute with one minute rest. I was able to do all three sets as planned, so PR. Then I did four HSPUs, so another PR.

Uh, yay, I guess.

Kevin Simons 04-27-2010 05:08 PM

Consistency is the name of the game, that's how we develop good habits. You don't have to destroy yourself every single time you workout. Be proud you did something when you really didn't feel like it. Mental conditioning. I remember you recently saying that burpees are a weakness, so good for you for using your time wisely.

And celebrate those PRs! Every one is a little victory. Keep in mind that most of us are going to have more birthdays in our lives than HSPU records. Make sure you pat yourself on the back and enjoy it when it happens.

Benjamin R. Greene 04-27-2010 07:04 PM

So true. Thanks again for the words of wisdom. What would my career be like if I only showed up for work when I was in a great mood and felt like it? Consistent investment in time and effort, regardless of circumstances and mood is the key to success in anything. And even short workouts and small PRs are acheivements!

Benjamin R. Greene 04-27-2010 08:45 PM

I am going to try for two workouts today.

I haven't done kettlebells in a long time, so I thought I would hit them today. I did want to use the full ROM swing prescribed by CrossFit where your arms go behind your ears. It definitely changes the feel of the exercise, from being a cardio strain to an upper back strain.

I started with 53 lb for 20 reps, followed by 12 reps to failure, then switched to 35 lbs for 8, then 20 reps times 2, then 13 to failure then 7. Then I did ring dips for another personal record of 6.

You are so right about celebrating personal bests. I can't allow myself to become blase about PRs just because I am getting one or more every day. The day will come when I am stuck and I will miss breaking those records every day.

I love the encouragement I get from this board. It is very motivating.