CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Stephen R. Lampl 07-03-2010 12:51 AM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Ben,

You've made amazing progress and some of it is because you've pushed yourself so hard. That is obviously not the norm for most people and though you've had a rough time, you have excelled too.

Props on the amazing front squats! (Some envy here for certain)!

I never cease to be amazed by what one can do - - observing you, seeing my own progress (albeit seeing it more slowly than some other people, probably because I'm a bit older). I love your bit about sit-ups - - we did some for time the other day, and though I've always been able to do them fairly well, I'd never have believed that I would beat everyone else's time at my box....

Glad you took a real rest day......Take care!

Benjamin R. Greene 07-04-2010 08:35 AM

Yesterday we had a group WOD/bbq to celebrate the 4th of July. It was very nice. CrossFitters are just nice people.

I started by warming up with a new PR of 15 HSPUs. Yay!:pepper: I recall being thrilled I could even do three the first time I tried them back in early April, a short three months ago. And as Kevin Johns once told me, "You should celebrate your PRs. You will have more birthdays than HSPU PRs."

Then we did a metcon WOD of 3 minutes at each station of the following: wall ball shots (12 lb ball for me), kb swings (35 lb kb for me), rowing and burpees, with one minute breaks. I did in the mid to high 30s on each. (The row was judged by calories, and I did 38.)

As usual, the main limitation I have is apparently my heart. I can feel my heart rate skyrocketing and it is hard to get it down. I have been doing metcons diligently for three months, and I wonder if it is my heart murmer that is holding me back. The doctors said it shouldn't, but maybe that is just for performance under "normal" conditions, not during a Fran. Or maybe I'm just still not in shape.

In any case, happy Fourth of July, everyone!:kicking0:

Benjamin R. Greene 07-04-2010 06:41 PM

Since I got eighteen hours of rest last night, I thought I would challenge myself with a difficult WOD: Linda

I scaled it to about 3/4 of Rx, 225 deadlift, 155 bench press, and 115 cleans. I estimate RX for me to be about 290 on the deadlifts, 195 on the bench press, and 135 on the cleans. (Actually, today I lifted 77%, 79%, and 85% of what is Rx'd, respectively.)

Since I knew this was a beast of a workout, I just paced myself by having my wife and kids change the weights while I rested.

I finished it in 1:14. I realize that is :zombie: slow time, but since I did not finish it last time, I thought it important to at least finish it in order to establish a baseline of performance.

I will order some more weights and slowly work my way up to doing it as RX'd, then concentrate on doing it faster. You have to finish it first before you even start worrying about doing it faster.

So, for even finishing it, I give myself a :pepper:

Benjamin R. Greene 07-04-2010 10:32 PM

I thought I would take the opportunity to record two ways that CrossFit has provided me practical strength.

I always have to carry a briefcase at work. It is the large size and is usually filled with cases. Dragging it around all day used to be exhausting. Now it feels light as a feather no matter how full it is.

I am always in a hurry and usually have my hands full and the courthouses I work in all have stairs, so I trip a lot. I used to go down on my face once a week. I now realize it was because I had a huge beer belly pulling me down in front, weak back muscles and weak legs. Now that I lost the beer belly and strengthened my torso and legs, I still trip a lot but am always able to catch myself.

I was recently doing a WOD at CrossFit Bako and missed a jump onto a 24 inch box. My left foot made it to the top, but my right foot stuck about an inch bellow the top. Prior to CrossFit, this would have made for a spectacular and dangerous fall. But now I caught myself, landed on my feet, and never even hit the ground.

It is amazing in how many contexts strength is important, some of which are not obvious.

Benjamin R. Greene 07-06-2010 07:29 AM

I have been thinking lately about my goals in CrossFit. I would like to have more stuff to brag about in my signature. But my metcon abilities seem to be lagging, possibly due to my heart murmer. So therefore I need to concentrate on longer and more strength-related WODs, like Linda.

I can really feel the soreness in my legs and abs from the deadlift portion of my Linda WOD. I am going to start doing those more often and try to build up my strength.

My goal is to do Linda as Rx'd by August 31st. In order to accomplish that, I need to start doing more of my workouts at home and work on the specific lifts required.

Bob Guere 07-07-2010 03:18 PM

Ben,

I've been thinking about your heart rate, .... and I wonder if you and I can have a nutrition chat... or if you're up for it, we can discuss it here.

You've been CrossFitting 3 months and in my opinion your heartrate rises very quickly... which all of ours do, but more then most you seem uncomfortable about it. I know you have a very stressful profession, and that can't help.

Are you doing your best to incorporate an anti-inflammatory diet? Perhaps a visit to the doc to have the ticker looked at is prudent? None of us are as young as we wish we were, and it's better safe than sorry. You know?

Hope all is as well as it can be on your current case, talk to you soon.

Bob

Stephen R. Lampl 07-07-2010 10:09 PM

Ben,

You are spot on with regards to the practical strength CF has provided you. I have to agree whole-heartedly on that one! I'll venture to say that your reflexes are also far sharper......I notice that every day.....catch things I'd have routinely dropped when thrown to me, kept from tripping, etc. Balance is also much better too. Have you observed that too?

You are right to assess your goals. Set short-term ones as well as long term ones too. Make them attainable [U][B]for you[/B][/U], and don't do like I've done and reach too far too fast......

Don't neglect the metcon work in favor of strength......one needs to program practically for work across all domains. Just scale the metcons so you still work hard, but don't (figuratively) kill yourself getting through the WOD. And I agree with Bob....take a look at your nutrition - - this can be so important.

Good luck and blessings!

Helen Lawson 07-08-2010 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=Benjamin R. Greene;806320]I thought I would take the opportunity to record two ways that CrossFit has provided me practical strength.

I always have to carry a briefcase at work. It is the large size and is usually filled with cases. Dragging it around all day used to be exhausting. Now it feels light as a feather no matter how full it is.

I am always in a hurry and usually have my hands full and the courthouses I work in all have stairs, so I trip a lot. I used to go down on my face once a week. I now realize it was because I had a huge beer belly pulling me down in front, weak back muscles and weak legs. Now that I lost the beer belly and strengthened my torso and legs, I still trip a lot but am always able to catch myself.

I was recently doing a WOD at CrossFit Bako and missed a jump onto a 24 inch box. My left foot made it to the top, but my right foot stuck about an inch bellow the top. Prior to CrossFit, this would have made for a spectacular and dangerous fall. But now I caught myself, landed on my feet, and never even hit the ground.

It is amazing in how many contexts strength is important, some of which are not obvious.[/QUOTE]

Great post! :highfive:

[QUOTE=Benjamin R. Greene;806892]I have been thinking lately about my goals in CrossFit. I would like to have more stuff to brag about in my signature. But my metcon abilities seem to be lagging, possibly due to my heart murmer. So therefore I need to concentrate on longer and more strength-related WODs, like Linda.

I can really feel the soreness in my legs and abs from the deadlift portion of my Linda WOD. I am going to start doing those more often and try to build up my strength.

My goal is to do Linda as Rx'd by August 31st. In order to accomplish that, I need to start doing more of my workouts at home and work on the specific lifts required.[/QUOTE]

They (the fitness guru's including Rippetoe) say that strength will increase speed, but speed will not increase strength...so if you want to try taking some extra time to work strength you may be right in your assessment that it will increase your metcon times.

Some of the CrossFit gurus may not agree with this suggestion, but...have you tried wearing a heart rate monitor during your metcons? I'm wondering if your heart rate really is getting that high or if it is just your perception that its getting that high. It is unlikely, but it could be a breathing issue without necesarily being a heart rate issue. Either way, the result may give you more scientific information for [B][I][U][COLOR="Blue"]WHEN [/COLOR][/U][/I][/B]you talk to your doctor about it. :)

Benjamin R. Greene 07-08-2010 06:25 PM

Bob, I am open to any suggestions regarding a diet that could improve my performance. I don't have any idea what would be an anti-inflammatory diet, or how it might help. I am open to seeing a doctor regarding my heart. Unfortunately, I think a lot of doctors are of the mindset of my parents' generation where they say "Doing that (exercise) to yourself is crazy. You are just going to end up getting hurt. Just go for a brisk walk around the block and you will be fine." Besides, no doctor ever got sued for telling a patient to take it easy. I don't mind receiving advice on my blog.

Stephen, as always, thank you for the input.

Benjamin R. Greene 07-08-2010 06:27 PM

Helen, I will give some thought to that. But I really don't feel out of breath, I feel my heart beating so fast it feels like it is about to jump clean out of my chest.