CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 06-08-2010 09:59 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Man, I was so sore today. Those group workouts I am doing are a little more intense than the ones I have been doing on my own. I had to take the day off today.

Stephen R. Lampl 06-08-2010 10:28 PM

Ben,

Congrats and my hats off to you for joining a box! The group workouts tend to be a bit more intense - - you get more of a feeling of competition among others, plus the coach(es) will "get on your case" to keep up the intensity and push yourself as hard as possible.

You are wise to listen to your body and take a rest day or two in there. Don't be afraid to scale back on the weight/intensity used during your workouts until you become adjusted to everything. CF, even scaled, is hard work, but that's the idea, and you have been doing admirably. Most people could not endure for as long as you did, the intensity of your workouts.

Keep up the great work!

Scott Ewan 06-09-2010 12:29 AM

[QUOTE=Benjamin R. Greene;794715]Man, I was so sore today. Those group workouts I am doing are a little more intense than the ones I have been doing on my own. I had to take the day off today.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I found the same thing after training on my own for a while. The intensity is so much greater in a box!
Glad you're still progressing (I'm a little jealous of your progress actually ;)) and enjoying it.
I'm always a little nervous before In turn up for training these days - I know I'm going to be wrecked at the end of every workout.
Good times :D[/FONT]

Benjamin R. Greene 06-09-2010 01:02 PM

Yeah, this workout really threw me for a loop. I had to pull over and take a nap yesterday while driving, the pain was so bad. Then, when I went to sleep that night, I had vivid nightmares and tossed and turned all night because every position hurt. Without pain pills, I wouldn't have been able to show up for work. A record setter.

Good times.:D

I am definitely taking today off. We will see about the rest of the week.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-09-2010 11:15 PM

It just hit me that my training, so far, has experienced three quantum leaps in difficulty: One was just sliding off the barstool on February 23, 1010 and doing bodybuilding training. That was very difficult. I still remember hurting from doing back squats.

The second was when I moved from bodybuilding workouts to doing CrossFit on my own. That was a jarring change that my body struggled to deal with.

The third transition was when I joined a CrossFit group and started doing group workouts. I am still struggling to get up to speed.

It just shows that each change was an equal order of magnitude. I wonder if training for Regionals is another quantum leap in difficulty.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-10-2010 10:06 PM

I have come to the conclusion that, if Monday's WOD was any guide, CrossFit Bako is no joke. If any other gym wants a challenge, come on over. After three days of recovery, I am finally ready to hit it again tomorrow. I can tell that two or three days at CrossFit Bako will be plenty a week. I will try to hit the evening workout tomorrow, and, if I can still walk and the puking has stopped, the morning WOD at the park Saturday. Wish me luck. I'm scared...:bat:

Scott Ewan 06-11-2010 12:19 AM

Good luck ;)

steve esqueda 06-11-2010 09:05 AM

Hi Ben!

I'm glad you liked the WOD, but I'm sorry you were SO sore! Some soreness is good, but we want to keep you away from injury. If you're too sore to workout the next day or day after it doesn't do either one of us any good! Next time we'll scale back the weight a bit...heavy enough to give you a great workout, but not to the point where you're out of comission for a few days. :)

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and we'll see you tonight!!

Steve

Benjamin R. Greene 06-11-2010 09:04 PM

Thanks Steve! Unfortunately, my machismo got the best of me and I underestimated the workout again tonight. I need to challenge myself a little less. As you said, "Leave your ego at the door."

Run 400m
Then
3 rounds of:
10 Shoulder Dislocates
10 Good Mornings
10 Push Press (DB or BB - get the shoulders warm)

Workout of the Day:
Southwest Regional Floater WOD
20 Shoulder to Overhead 185/115#
40 Barrier Hop Burpees
7min. Time limit.

Cash Out:
"Mini-Tabata"
4 rounds each of:
Rower
Ring Rows
Abmats
Squats

Well, I tried this one scaled to 155# and gassed out at 18 pushes. Then I DNF'd at 25 burpees. No time limit. Yikes. That :censored:'d. "The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak."

This was one of those workouts where I start to wonder if the workouts are getting harder or I'm just getting older.

Tonight I marked off a 1000 meter track around my house. I am going to rechallenge that 5k run tomorrow, without the killer leg soreness this time, and see how I do. I need a new PR to pick me up! I am aiming for 25 minutes.

Stephen R. Lampl 06-11-2010 10:35 PM

[quote=Benjamin R. Greene;796316]Thanks Steve! Unfortunately, my machismo got the best of me and I underestimated the workout again tonight. I need to challenge myself a little less. As you said, "Leave your ego at the door."

Run 400m
Then
3 rounds of:
10 Shoulder Dislocates
10 Good Mornings
10 Push Press (DB or BB - get the shoulders warm)

Workout of the Day:
Southwest Regional Floater WOD
20 Shoulder to Overhead 185/115#
40 Barrier Hop Burpees
7min. Time limit.

Cash Out:
"Mini-Tabata"
4 rounds each of:
Rower
Ring Rows
Abmats
Squats

Well, I tried this one scaled to 155# and gassed out at 18 pushes. Then I DNF'd at 25 burpees. No time limit. Yikes. That :censored:'d. "The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak."

This was one of those workouts where I start to wonder if the workouts are getting harder or I'm just getting older.

Tonight I marked off a 1000 meter track around my house. I am going to rechallenge that 5k run tomorrow, without the killer leg soreness this time, and see how I do. I need a new PR to pick me up! I am aiming for 25 minutes.[/quote]

Ben,

It is so easy to underestimate the workouts. I still do it and thankfully, I am not yet strong enough to attempt some of the WODs at Rx'd weights.

Here's a thought, if you have not already done this. Take a day or two (or three) and spend time calculating your 1 RMs for all of the basic 9 lifts: Back Squat, Front Squat, Overhead Squat, Shoulder Press, Push Press, Push Jerk, Clean, Snatch, and Dead Lift. You can also throw in a Thruster and Sumo Deadlift High Pull, etc. Then scale the weight you use based on the number of anticipated reps for a WOD. For instance, if you do five rounds for time of 15 push press, 15 box jumps, and 15 pull-ups, and your 1 RM for a push press is 135#, then you'll want to drop to perhaps 75# - - no more, I'd say than 95#. At that, 95# is going to get tough in the later rounds. And the lighter weights allow you to ramp up the intensity. Here is a great post from CrossFit One World's Freddy Camacho about intensity. I apologize for the long post, but this really explains the reasoning behind the [B]high intensity[/B] bent of CrossFit....

[COLOR=Navy][I]“Power: Work done or energy transferred per unit of time; The time rate of doing work.”

Force x Distance = Work
Work / Time = Power

“Intensity: Magnitude, as of energy or a force per unit of area, volume, time, etc.”

Power = Intensity

The simple definition of Crossfit is “constantly varied functional movement performed at high intensity.” I think you all have a great grasp of “constantly varied” and “functional movement.” I want to ramble on a bit about “high intensity.”

Intensity, simply put, is where the good **** is. You want to lose weight? Intensity. You want to get stronger? Intensity. You want to get healthier? Intensity. Get it? As Crossfitters, you must grasp the fact that intensity is not how loud you yell during your workout. It’s not about throwing up after a workout. Its not about being dizzy and turning bright red. Intensity is achieving the highest power output that you possibly can in a workout.

I owe you all an apology for not better explaining this to you when I first started posting time goals on the workouts. I can’t lay claim to it as something I figured out myself either. I decided to start programming this way after attending Dutch Lowy’s trainer seminar. It’s pretty simple to explain. Crossfit is about producing the most power output you possibly can in any given workout. The best results will be achieved with more power output. Let’s take “Fran” (21/15/9 reps for time of 95# Thruster and pull-ups) and do some mathematics. I figured these numbers using the power output calculator from Catalyst Athletics (kudos to Greg Everett for such a great website).

Athlete #1 (5’8”/185#) does Fran as prescribed in three minutes. His power output numbers look like this:
291.48 watts
0.4 horsepower
214.98 ft-lbs/sec
(Wow! Almost half a horsepower. That’s badass!)

Athlete #2 ( height & weight the same) does Fran as prescribed in ten minutes. His power output numbers look like this:
87.44 watts
0.12 horsepower
64.49 ft-lbs/sec
A HUGE drop off in power output.

If I take Athlete #2 and lower his thruster weight to 65#, and he finishes in three minutes, suddenly, his power output numbers look like this
255.45 watts
0.35 horsepower
188.41 ft-lbs/sec

The lower weight in the thruster with the faster time brings Athlete #2 closer to the power output of Athlete #1. Athlete #2 will actually see better results with the lighter weight! As he gets faster, he adds more weight until eventually, he is producing high power output at the prescribed weight.

So here is the hard part to grasp. If I tell you all a workout should take ten minutes (I set the goals high because you all want to get there right?), and you take 25 minutes, there is an issue. Yes, you sweat and you feel good because you gutted through it, but really, you just sweat a whole lot without getting the true benefit of the potential power of what Crossfit can do for your overall fitness.

Think about it! Try checking your ego at the door and lowering the weight a bit. I am slowly trying to drop this on all of you and see how your progress comes along. In the near future, I will occasionally not even post prescribed weights on the workouts. I will post a time frame to finish the workout. You need to start logging your weights and times so you can easily figure out what you need to do in any given workout to make it happen within the required time frame. If its a ten minute workout and you finish in 3 minutes, you went to light. If you finish it in 15 minutes, you went to heavy.

[/I][COLOR=Black]Hope this info helps, Ben. You are doing great - - don't get discouraged, but just keep at it. You will find a balance, and the guys and gals at CF Bako will help you.

Take care!
[/COLOR][/COLOR]