CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 05-29-2010 01:27 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Today, I decided to challenge Fran. As always, the body weight exercises just slayed me. I did two rounds of thrusters, one round of pullups and stopped at 7 of the second round of pullups. I just couldn't do kipping pullups in the little rack box I was using, and the mechanics weren't good for dead hang pullups, because I couldn't get close to the bar. I'm not blaming the equipment, because fundamentally I wasn't strong enough or in good enough shape. A very disappointing workout. The name workouts continue to challenge me.

I decided to finish up by going for a new PR on the Concept 2 at 1000 meters. I stopped at 500 meters with a PR of 1:45. That is a full 18 seconds faster than my last attempt. I was happy to see I am making progress after all. I was well and truly exhausted after all this effort today.

Despite the injuries, illnesses, setbacks, and disappointments, the bottom line is that I am throwing vastly more exercise at my body than I have ever done before. Surely, as a matter of logic, it must become more fit to handle the increased loads being placed on it. Moreover, now that I have dramatically changed my diet as well, that will inevitably have a positive effect over time.

I have to remember that I have only been doing this exactly two months and one day, and Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes months and years of steady effort to transform one's body.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-01-2010 03:29 PM

On May 30, 2010, I did 1000 meters rowing in 4:15, a new PR by 35 seconds. Nice. Then I tried the bench press portion of Linda. I gassed out after two reps at bodyweight, so I reduced the load down to 145 and finished, 10, 9, 8, and failed at 7. I was exausted and spent the rest of the day laying down and sleeping. The next day, I slept about 16 hours. I probably have averaged 16 hours a day of sleeping lately. Very abnormal for me. I took the whole day off, per my new programming.

I will try to get a workout in tonight. I am feeling somewhat better and ready to hit it again. Consistency is the key!

Stephen R. Lampl 06-01-2010 07:04 PM

Ben,

Props on the Rowing PRs! Awesome.

[I][B]"I have to remember that I have only been doing this exactly two months and one day, and Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes months and years of steady effort to transform one's body."[/B][/I]

I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to comment one more time on how hard you work.......

I think you hit the nail on the head, Ben. As hard as you have pushed yourself, you just haven't quite given yourself enough recovery time to hit a hard 500m row after attempting a "Fran", and then follow that the next day with a hard 1K row, and an attempt (even at just a portion) of "Linda."

You are doing great, but again, I think you are pushing yourself just a bit too hard for your body. Here's what I suggest, FWIW....It is recommended that one take a full week off about every twelve weeks......you've hit at least the eight week level and again, as hard as you've hit it, you could probably stand a full week away from ANY organized CF workouts. Take some walks, maybe do some LIGHT cardio, but nothing hard, fast, or heavy. When you start back in, you'll be amazed at the change in your performance. And don't be afraid to back off a bit or scale down on weights, etc. You want to keep up the intensity, but not bog yourself down trying to do something Rx'd which might be a bit too ambitious and not be able to finish the WOD......

I wish I had your determination! At my age, I'd probably break something if I went that hard. Just remember you are doing great - - you don't want to burn yourself out. And you WILL get to the point where you simply "kill" any WOD you attempt!

Rock On!

Benjamin R. Greene 06-02-2010 09:14 PM

Thank you for the compliments! I have the type of personality where I am constantly berating myself for not trying hard enough, so I appreciate a little more objective view.

Well, now that I have given CrossFit about six weeks of solid effort, with about two weeks of more or less rest, I am ready to do CrossFit, per se, meaning following the Main Site WODs, even if I have to scale them down if necessary, and including the prescribed days off. Neither pushing myself too hard or blowing off workouts seems to be getting me where I want to go.

I missed the workout yesterday due to being on the road and away from a computer and gym, so today, I begin again, rested and ready. Today's workout was:

Four rounds, each for time of:
800 meter run

Rest as needed between efforts

I did them in 3:31, 3:40, 3:46, and 3:55.

There are no easy workouts in CrossFit, that's for sure.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-03-2010 10:28 PM

Today's WOD:

"Randy"

75 pound Power snatch, 75 reps for time.

Post time to comments

I did this one in 8:15. Like so many other metcon workouts, it started out tedium and ended up torture. By the end, my heart was beating out of my chest and my forearms were on fire. I did the first 25 unbroken.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-04-2010 02:00 AM

I almost forgot to mention two things I learned at my doctor visit today. My blood pressure was 140 over 59, so I am definitely improving. Also, I will have to cancel my plans to participate in the Lemoore Grappling Challenge on Jluy 11 and 12th due to minor surgery. Oh well. By the time the next UFC Grappling contest takes place in Las Vegas on Sept 24th and 25th, I will be a CrossFit firebreather.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-05-2010 09:44 AM

Well, I knew when I woke up this morning I was in trouble. My legs were really sore from all the work I have being doing on CrossFit. Sure enough, I started too fast on my run and quickly burned out. My legs were on fire, and my abs and back weren't much better. I ended up walking 2/3s of the run and finishing in an embarassing 39 min. Pork Chop Platoon all the way.

Lessons learned:
1.Take a week off prior to "tests" like that.
2. Just jog the first part to get used to it.
3. Just jog out the whole thing next time and finish.

:crybaby0:

Stephen R. Lampl 06-05-2010 12:23 PM

Ben,

"A" for effort for you, that's for sure. So glad to see your B/P is headed down in the right direction. It's great that you're listening to your body and adjusting what you do to accommodate your capabilities. No one thinks the lesser of you for doing that!

And you are correct, as hard as you are hitting things, as you and your body adjust, you'll find the correct pattern of workout intensity and rest/rehab. You are already a firebreather.......you will just be MORE of one in September!

Benjamin R. Greene 06-05-2010 05:02 PM

I really appreciate the support, Stephen. And congratulations on the 30 min. 5k last week.

Benjamin R. Greene 06-07-2010 08:01 PM

I joined CrossFit Bako today in order to get more coaching and a supportive group of fellow athletes. It went well, but I was shocked I finished the WOD dead last.

1 round for time:
Run 250m
21 Push Ups w/plate on back
Run 500m
15 Push Ups w/plate on back
Rum 750m
9 Push Ups w/plate on back

Guys use 45# and gals 25# respectively. Scale weight as needed.

Pursuant to instructions, I rowed 750 meters instead of running on the last round. I finished in 13:38. I finished about two minutes off the pace for the men. Oh well, at least I finished it.

I will start attending clases there Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at the park. Hopefully, it will help me improve.