CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 05-19-2010 11:51 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

Thanks. My kids, who are six and seven, rowed all night like they were hamsters on a wheel. It was pretty funny. Since I am at it, I might as well mention their PRs for the record. Tyler, who is seven years old, did seven pullups.(!) Joey, who is six, rowed 3312 meters tonight. (!) Um, do you think they are obsessive like their dad?:)

Benjamin R. Greene 05-20-2010 02:00 AM

I still felt energetic, sore back notwithstanding, so I hit the gym. By the way, purchasing the equipment for a home gym has made working out so much more sustainable. Before, I couldn't face up to changing my clothes, geting into the car, and hitting the globo gym. Besides, the one near my house wasn't open 24 hours, I had to stand in line sometimes to use the weights, and the other guys were huge, intimidating meatheads. There were just way too many reasons to skip it.

Now, the gym is convenient, private, and open whenever I feel like using it. I still have insomnia and anxiety issues, but at least I can use my time wisely.

First day of the 100 burpee challenge! Since I work out every day anyway, recovery isn't an issue. I am looking forward to improving my burpee abilities. So, one down, God knows how many more to go.

Day 3 of the Recon Ron program is done as well. For the record, that's 6, 5, 5, 4, 3. My back was hurting and I was really looking forward to day seven, my next rest day. I had to really struggle, but I got it done as Rx'd.

And, since my back has been giving me a lot of problems, I thought I would go against the normal thinking and do hang cleans.

3x5 at 135, as Rx'd

Before I started CrossFit, I was trying to set up a set of squats at the globo gym. I tried to move a barbell weighing 135 to a higher peg by hang cleaning it. No dice. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't lift that thing up. I finally had to take the weights off to move it to the higher rack setting. Very frustrating. So, as you can imagine, I have seen enormous improvement in my hang clean abilities.:D

Benjamin R. Greene 05-21-2010 06:50 PM

So, I had a brutally difficult day at work. I am really not feeling the old workout desire tonight. I did 2 burpees and day four of Recon Ron. I will rest a little and see if I can challenge today's workout later.

Stephen R. Lampl 05-21-2010 11:55 PM

Hey Ben,

Hope tomorrow goes better for you. Don't let the "down days" throw you for a loop.....we all have them. Take care!

Benjamin R. Greene 05-22-2010 12:36 AM

Thanks Stephen! As always, you are very encouraging.
I don't usually feel this exhausted. As my workout log indicates, normally I energetically hit my workouts. I think it is a combination of not sleeping well due to my chronic neck and back pain as well as just a really tough week. However, the relative rest I have had over the last couple of days has helped a lot with the neck and back pain I was suffering, and hopefully tomorrow things will be back to normal.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-22-2010 09:15 AM

This morning I got up and did day 3 of the 10 burpee challenge, day five of the Recon Ron workout, and then a 1000 meter row in 4:50. Not an outstanding time. I was held back by not wearing shoes and losing my form when I got tired. Something else to practice....

Benjamin R. Greene 05-23-2010 12:35 AM

The neck and back issues are still pretty disturbing. I am very tempted to just take some time off. Chronic neck pain is very uncomfortable.:(

Benjamin R. Greene 05-23-2010 01:36 AM

I thought I would log a few medical benchmarks as well. I have had a lot of blood work done lately, and some of the results were disturbing. My fasting blood glucose is 114. My cholesterol is 99. My blood pressure is 159 over 59 and 148 over 58. Not good. I just started Antabuse yesterday to see if that can help over the long term.

Stephen R. Lampl 05-23-2010 11:55 AM

[quote=Benjamin R. Greene;787637]I thought I would log a few medical benchmarks as well. I have had a lot of blood work done lately, and some of the results were disturbing. My fasting blood glucose is 114. My cholesterol is 99. My blood pressure is 159 over 59 and 148 over 58. Not good. I just started Antabuse yesterday to see if that can help over the long term.[/quote]

Ben,

The thing is, you are doing something about your medical benchmarks, and that is what is important. My wife is a Type-II diabetic and I tend toward hypoglycemia, so I'm familiar with that hassle - - your fasting blood glucose level is not too bad (< 100 would be best), but most importantly, if you do not know it, find out at what level your A1-C is. As you stick with CF, your resting BP will drop markedly, as will your resting heart rate and your recovery time (from strenuous exercise and a high, working heart rate). Your total cholesterol is at a number some would kill for.....what is your HDL/LDL ratio? Also, your triglyceride level is important - - the lower, the better.

Hope the neck pain eases quickly.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-23-2010 04:17 PM

Actually, I was off on my cholesterol. It was 198, the HDL is 35, and my LDL is 133. The A1 stuff, it doesn't say. Any help you could give in interpreting this stuff would be much appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what it all means.

I have decided to take a break from working out. My nagging neck injury is really bothering me, and now I seem to either be suffering from allergies or a cold to boot. Sometimes, you just have to surrender to your body and rest. I just finished sleeping fourteen hours today. I'm clearly at my breaking point, and no amount of willpower is helping.

It looks like the grappling contest on Friday is unlikely for me. I need to save some dough after spending so much on the home gym and I'm not feeling up to it physically.