CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   My Midlife Crisis (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=56812)

Benjamin R. Greene 05-11-2010 10:37 PM

Re: My Midlife Crisis

I must have really hit on something difficult yesterday in my workout. I was more sore today in every part of my body than I have ever experienced doing CrossFit. My quads, abs, back, and chest were killing me. I treid to run a little, but it just hurt too much. I had to take a day off.:crutch00:

Benjamin R. Greene 05-12-2010 05:42 PM

I still felt horrible this morning, but by the late afternoon I had recovered enough to at least do something:

"Phillies' Fan": 1:20, 1 and 1, with 2 min breaks

70 lb KB swings, CF style, 2x15, 7 (f)

Benjamin R. Greene 05-13-2010 11:36 AM

I had a break from my trial, so I hit the globo gym. Some guy was on the only Oly bar, so I used dumbbells.

3x15, 1x16 at 40 lbs dumbbell cleans, 60 second rests

This actually felt easier than the previous time I did this workout. While it was still an 8 on the 10 point exertion scale, previously it was an absolute 10. My forearms will still on fire, however.

I tried 3x5 at 50 lb dumbell push presses. I got 2 sets in with no problems, but couldn't clean the last pair.

I gave up, but since the showers were full, I decided to hit one last attempt at burpees. I tried for 3x15 with 60 second rests, but failed at seven on the second set. I don't know what happened and I was somewhat surprised. Perhaps I was still not recovered from the dumbbell cleans.

I am going to try and hit a cardio workout tonight after work.

I got some elevated "prediabetic" results from a fasting blood glucose test (114), so I am switching to a vegan diet. My cholesterol levels were a little high too. I want to get restested in 90 days to see if the diet has made an improvement. I am not that concerned about lack of protein in my diet. I am sure I can eat enough legumes and soy to compensate for it. And I am scared about ending up diabetic like my father. I will exchange being a little bit thinner than I want to be in order to avoid diabetes, if necessary.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-13-2010 10:03 PM

I guess now I can talk about my diet, too. Sigh. I did all vegan except for some ground beef with spaghetti for dinner. We were a little short on vegan alternatives for dinner.

I absolutely had to skip the second workout I had planned for today. I might take tomorrow off totally. My chest is still sore from Monday's ring pushups. (Note to self: Those are awesome for your pecs.) And, as usual, pretty much everything is hurting. Maybe one or two days off now would do me good.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-14-2010 08:55 PM

Had an all-vegan day except for cheese and shrimp on the lunch salad and a little milk in my coffee. I think I am having a period of psychological adjustment to my new diet. At least I am reducing the amount of fats and cholesterol I am eating.

I felt pretty lousy still this morning, but after an afternoon nap I felt good enough to hit the gym.

365 lb deadlifts (tying my PRs):1, 2, 1

Pullups:4, 1

Ring dips:1

Understandably, I was not happy with those gymnastic efforts, so I rested a little bit and hit it again.

This time: 10 pullups(tied recent PR), 3x3 ring dips, 4 pullups, 1

I definitely need to work harder on my gymnastic exercises. I am not making the progress on those I would like to see. I would like to participate in the UFC Fan Expo grappling tournament on May 27th, so I need to hit the metcon workouts. The fights are five minutes long, so I need to get ready.:yikes:

Benjamin R. Greene 05-15-2010 03:23 AM

I couldn't sleep, possibly because I felt guilty about eating some ground beef on my spaghetti for dinner. I am a vegan if a vegan is defined as a guy who eats meat but feels guilty about it.:o

So, not being able to sleep a wink tonight, I finally decided to try a "name" workout, since I think I might be able to complete one of the easier ones. There is just no way I am going to complete the 150 pullups required for "Eva", for instance, so I tried yesterday's workout, "Karen".

Good news, I finished it.:pepper: It took me 13:04. I subbed 20lb dumbbells in each hand for the ball. A very tough workout, indeed. I really want to conquer each "name" workout in order of perceived difficulty in order to establish a baseline for future comparison. Unfortunately, my lack of ability in the pullup department is holding me back.

Well, May 14, 2010 will live forever as the day I finally finished my first "name" workout. Now, I just have to worry about rhabdo setting in. I hope not.:rhabdo:

I checked out the Crossfit Endurance site and I think I need to add a couple of those workouts to my week, three if possible. I am still not happy with my endurance capabilities. Hopefully, a little sprint training will help a lot.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-15-2010 12:14 PM

Today is a perfect example of why I don't try to slavishly follow the main site WODs. Friday's workout was "Karen", which I barely finished. Today, my legs and shoulders are very sore, with my right shoulder particularly bad. Even under the best conditions, I don't think I could finish "Eva". Yes, I know I could probably scale it back to something I could do, but then it isn't Eva. To assign it right after Karen just makes no sense to me.

So, today I am going to do a CrossFit Endurance workout of their WOD and maybe some pullup work, since that is such a weakness for me.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-16-2010 12:49 AM

I just forced myself to take a full day off. Psychologically, I am definitely addicted to the heavy workouts that go with the CrossFit ideology. However, my body absolutely needs some rest time. I am sure that I will feel better tomorrow.

Benjamin R. Greene 05-16-2010 09:39 PM

Man, I had a pretty discouraging day overall on my trek to CrossFit Nirvana. First off, I was just killer sore all day. Karen just tore me up. When I tried to do the CFE workout of 20 sets of sprinting of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, I could only finish 5 sets before I was gasping for air on the ground.

Then I tried to at least finish the pullup component of Fran. I did it, but

1x6
2x5
Then sets of 2 or 3 to completion. Total of 45 pullups. Clearly, no progress at all since 5-2-10, or possibly even worse. I will commit myself to progress on my pullups so I can start nailing more named workouts.

Stephen R. Lampl 05-16-2010 10:52 PM

Hey Ben,

Don't be discouraged......you've probably heard this before (hope I don't sound patronizing) but you'll have days where you feel like you're going backwards.....Don't be too hard on yourself. You are kicking butt - - "Karen", "Fran", "Eva", and some of the other named WODs are a serious undertaking, even scaled. Be sure to take a rest day or two in there........and [U]really rest[/U].