CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!! (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=40939)

Marianne Urbanski 03-09-2009 09:44 AM

Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

[quote=Amber Mathwig;536474]Hey all! Happy to see some new faces in here. Best of luck and have fun with your no grains/no sugar (or whatever variation you have).

I've been TOTALLY off the bandwagon. I somehow lost my appetite for the past couple of weeks (dust storms? PCS stress? Both?)....and the only food that had flavor was the sweets. So the more sweet foods I ate, the more I craved. I need to get back on track, which here I have been allowing myself one small dessert a day (usually macadamia nut cookie), occassional oatmeal, with the rest of my day being as close to paleo I could get.

Oh, and I stopped buying nuts. LOL. No portion control there at ALL, so I figured it was just best to go without.[/quote]

Amber:
do you like dark chocolate? that has saved me .. in fact I definitely eat it every day! I also have been having a little (literally 1/2 c measured) ice cream... I just can't stand the "deprived thing".. I know it must be really hard over there to get what you need cuz you can't really cook, right?

I'm confused on the oatmeal thing... it is definitely not paleo, but is for sure "zone"... what do people think about that? I really don't like oatmeal, but someone told me to try "steel oats" with protein powder since I don't eat meat, but I don't know if that is "legal"...

Stick with it, Amber. you can do this!! possibly your workout changes have contributed to your "slump"!? keep posting so we can keep encouraging you!! :)

Amber Mathwig 03-09-2009 10:08 AM

I definitly love dark chocolate, but getting the real stuff is not an option here. I'm hoping for some in my next care package. I gave the BF very explicit directions.

I prefer steel cut oats over oatmeal, but again I am eating out of convenience somedays. At home, I occassionally put raw steel cut oats in our smoothies (takes a little bit of getting used too). It all comes down to what YOU want.

Food choices and lack of sleep definitly prevailed this past week. But, I am off to the gym now! My weightlifting buddy is back so I have someone to yell at me today! Yay!

Brian Bedell 03-09-2009 10:19 AM

Hi everyone, I had a great January, then went off the wagon for several weeks during February and just got back from a 3 day all-inclusive stay in the Bahamas (ugh!).

So, starting today getting back on track; I'm going to drop about 10lbs in the next 5-6 weeks and get in "summer shape." ttys!

Charly Aurelia 03-09-2009 11:38 AM

Just wanted to step in and say "keep it up" for all of you who are doing it.

Good for you.

Break the addiction!

Amber Mathwig 03-10-2009 01:03 AM

Brian! How were the smorgasbords? Any handstands on the beach? Get back to the gym and healthy eating, you know you want to!

Charly - thanks!

John Penner 03-10-2009 09:10 PM

Go Brian I'm going for 10-15 lbs. "summer Shape" too.:kicking0:

I'm doing confessions of a CFer to help me out:pepper:

Greg Glossop 03-10-2009 09:46 PM

So yea Im an addict... lol

But I know if I gave up sugars... I would drop weight easy.. Whats consider grains?

I need all the help I can get!

Greg

Laura Kurth 03-11-2009 07:46 AM

Greg - the grain list includes, but is not limited to, the following

wheat
oats
barley
corn
rye
rice
amarath
millet
spelt

there is some debate about quinoa and buckwheat which are I believe considered seeds, not grasses/cereals like the others.

However on the paleo diet, I think quinoa and buckwheat would also be forbidden.

Lindy Hruska 03-11-2009 03:14 PM

Well, I've been on and off the bandwagon about 4 times in the past month. Just getting over bad cold, so good news was I lost 7 pounds. Bad news, it was all water weight and muscle. Oh well. My WOD's the past three days have sucked a**, just no energy. I never dreamed 45 pound thrusters could hurt so bad after rowing 1000m! :censored:
Getting back into things slowly. Kudos to everyone who is sticking to the no grains/sugars! I am officially back ON the wagon--this site helps a ton!

Mat Frankel 03-12-2009 06:26 AM

I'm just really starting to get into the Zone/Paleo and I am realizing and feeling the energy swings of having not eating certain foods. I still have dairy, cottage cheese and string cheese as snacks, but have cut out the WW bread. I also still have oatmeal in the morning so maybe its more zone? I am trying to figure out my block needs and trying to really break down my diet into nutrients since I function better on lower carbs. Hopefully i'll be able to figure it out and be on my way. You guys not having any grains/sugars are f'in determined. Great job. Look forward to talking with you all.