CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Can someone explain the science behind kinesio taping (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75633)

Sara Lynn Miller 05-26-2012 09:12 PM

Can someone explain the science behind kinesio taping

I am especially interested in how kinesio taping can protect the lumbar and discs at that level from injury during heavy load.

Well, and the general science behind how it works. I am one of those skeptics.

Brian Strump 05-28-2012 05:42 PM

Re: Can someone explain the science behind kinesio taping

Why don't you email Rock Tape? Tell them what you're looking for. That should help.

Megan Zetter 05-29-2012 06:43 AM

Or click here: http://www.kinesiotaping.com/global/...ng-method.html and or do a Google search. There is a lot of info available on the web.

Katherine Derbyshire 05-29-2012 01:03 PM

From what I see on their web page, it doesn't. It's a rehab technique, not intended for that application.

But I do not speak for the company.

Katherine

Jon Gray 05-29-2012 02:19 PM

It seems suspect to me. You're really only bolstering the skin, which as we all know glides over the muscles. I'm sure that there must be an intense proprioceptive signal that the skin sends to the body though.

Brian Strump 05-29-2012 08:05 PM

There is also the benefit of increasing circulation.

I think a big reason why people think it may be suspect is because they think it looks cool, order some poor quality online(or good quality stuff), but do not know how to properly use it.

It's alot more than just putting take where it hurts.

I can't offer much in research to it, but I've seen it do some pretty dramatic things for swelling in an extremity.

Megan Zetter 05-29-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire (Post 1064774)
From what I see on their web page, it doesn't. It's a rehab technique, not intended for that application.

But I do not speak for the company.

Katherine

In regard to lumbar disc injury, I don't see it being directly beneficial, but rather, it could serve as a great support to the lumbar paraspinals if applied properly.

Does k-tape cure people? Hardly. However, when used appropriately, it can be a useful therapeutic tool.

Sara Lynn Miller 05-30-2012 08:28 AM

I brought this up because I am seeing these video clips from Regionals and the athletes are taping the hell out of their backs and shoulders as if it were a preventative measure. Especially in the WODs involving cleans and snatches.

The load on the bar is going to win, not the taping.

Brian Strump 05-30-2012 11:59 AM

Because it looks cool! Ditto for all the ankle and arm sleeves you see guys wear now.
:shrug:

Neither cures anything, but can be used to "lock in" any therapeutic changes.

Oh, and sponsorships help too. I'd wrap myself up in it, if it would pay for a trip to Cali.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Lynn Miller (Post 1064998)
I brought this up because I am seeing these video clips from Regionals and the athletes are taping the hell out of their backs and shoulders as if it were a preventative measure. Especially in the WODs involving cleans and snatches.

Megan Zetter 05-31-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara Lynn Miller (Post 1064998)

K-tape gives proprioceptive feed back, which some may say helps prevent injury. And if applied correctly it can be supportive. Ultimately though, if your technique sucks you will get hurt.