CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Drop in Fee (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65975)

Tricia Magrini 03-23-2011 09:25 AM

Drop in Fee

Curious what you charge at your box. I msg'd a trainer at a box I will be visiting on vacay soon....let him know I was a L1 trainer and would be in town and he wants $25 for one visit. That seems insane to me! Curious what you all charge.

Krista Fudge 03-23-2011 09:58 AM

Re: Drop in Fee

We charge $15 but waive the fee if they buy a shirt. This only applies if someone knows CrossFit. If the trainers are having to correct your form and take time away from the regular clients, I can see where $25 would be reasonable.

Tricia Magrini 03-23-2011 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=Krista Debrick;917779]We charge $15 but waive the fee if they buy a shirt. This only applies if someone knows CrossFit. If the trainers are having to correct your form and take time away from the regular clients, I can see where $25 would be reasonable.[/QUOTE]

I agree if they need to be doing a lot of coaching, but this isn't the case. Ah well.....bodyweight beach WOD it is!

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

I offered a free drop in if they brought me a T-shirt from their local affiliate where they trained for a trade with one of mine. If they bought one of my shirts it came with a drop-in, or it was just straight $20.

Might seem high but everyone gets coaching. I don't care who you are or how experienced, I'm not going to sit back and not coach you. If all you want is the use of equipment I'm sure some globos can hook you up for a lower drop-in.

Affiliate owners never got charged, but we would typically do a t-shirt exchange of some kind anyway.

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=Tricia Magrini;917793]I agree if they need to be doing a lot of coaching, but this isn't the case. Ah well.....bodyweight beach WOD it is![/QUOTE]

Are they the only affiliate in town?

Brian Strump 03-23-2011 10:46 AM

We charge $15, or $45 for the week. If they call in advance, I'd ask them to bring me their affiliate shirt instead of $15.
If they buy a shirt we waive the $15.

We don't charge affiliate owners.

Jeff Stanek 03-23-2011 11:14 AM

I think its completely up to the owner. If you want to take the risk of random-Joe from off the street to possibly hurt himself because he's tossed into a class, then that's up to you.

However, I've dropped-in to at least 8 different gyms around the country, and every one has been welcoming (I love that part about CF). I've always offered to buy a t-shirt regardless of the fee.

Price to play if you're on the move.

Chris Walls 03-23-2011 12:11 PM

Everyone I had drop in were from out of town affiliates. Locals were not allowed to drop in for a class, they had to do the intro first, etc...

The out of towners all knew exactly where they were in terms of level. They knew what they could and couldn't do, they knew what they were supposed to work on. It didn't take long to assess them during the warm-up.

Brian Strump 03-23-2011 12:36 PM

We do not allow drop-ins if they are unfamiliar with CF and just want to "check it out".

Aushion Chatman 03-23-2011 01:25 PM

At Crossfit San Diego, first drop-in for any visitor is free, ea additional class is $15/class.

Nearly everyone that has dropped in on our class did so by e-mailing or calling us first and letting us know what affiliate they train at and how long they've been crossfitting.

We've had a few people just show up, but those folks typically come 30-45 minutes before the next class time starts and we have a feeling out process and discuss the WOD and whether they are familiar with the movements...

I think I've had maybe one person come unannounced right before a class started that I had to turn away or tell to wait for the next class.

Andrew Craig 03-24-2011 03:09 AM

CrossFit DBN - we don't have a drop in fee. Other affiliate members travelling for business or on holiday can train for free. Anyone that wants to come and try us out gets a week free and we ask they come at least 3 times that week. Pretty much all of our newbies come from word of mouth so we don't really have to deal with walk ins trying out the new gym in the area.

Matt Harris 03-24-2011 01:20 PM

I've visited two boxes on out-of-town trips. They both charged $20 for the first workout and gave me a free shirt. Or was it $20 for the shirt and the workout was free? Both clubs invited me back for additional workouts at no charge during my stay. And they said they'd be happy to trade a tee shirt from my local box in lieu of the fee. It's a nice welcoming policy and one of the many things I like about CrossFit. Next time I'm traveling with tees from my box!

Keith Martin 03-24-2011 01:42 PM

Two of the boxes I frequent charge $10 or $20. I don't think it's over the top. I'm on the fence, when I affiliate, as to whether I will charge a drop-in.

Brian Strump 03-24-2011 06:21 PM

I would much prefer an affiliates shirt, than $15.

If anyone's ever in Charlotte, bring a shirt, and come for a visit.

Zan Vetter 03-24-2011 08:29 PM

I travel for work and drop in to affiliates all over Canada and the US. The typical fee is $20, the odd boxes that are clearly in low rent districts charge $15, and the ones in high rent districts charge $25. A lot don't charge for the first time, and some that I've visited multiple times will waive the fee on occasion, but never have I been given a free t-shirt, which would be unexpected but awesome. I love doing the drop in because I end up seeing the same people again and again when I visit different cities.

Paying the fee and buying a shirt at the same time, $40, feels a bit painful for a single visit but I find it's a bit like tipping the bartender a bit extra on the first round. It tends to pay off over time if you don't start looking for freebies right away.

Guelph (home team)
YUL (Montreal)
YHZ (Kinetics)
YVR (CF Vancouver, Westside)
YEG (Lineage)
Whistler
SFO (Lalanne, San Fran CF)
LAX (Intrepid)
LAS (Las Vegas)
PHX (Full Strength)

One affiliate owner in Ottawa gave me a really hard time when I showed up. I had called 2 days prior (no response), day prior (no response). I thought what the heck everyone is always cool if I show up early, so I dropped in "unannounced". I got a huge runaround, "We don't do drop ins, you should have called", "It's a bad day we're doing squats" "Don't jump on my pullup bar" blah blah blah. It really made me angry but it's his gym. Then a few days later I thought man, that guy is really giving other affiliate owners a bad name and it was still bugging me, so I emailed HQ with my story. Glassman himself responded and thanked me for reaching out, said they'd been having problems with him for years and my email was confirmation of their fears. End result the owner decided (cough) to give up his affiliation.

The other dozen or so that I've been to have all been top notch! I wear my shirts to hotel and other globo gyms proudly.

Joseph Nichols 03-24-2011 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Andrew Craig;918113]CrossFit DBN - we don't have a drop in fee. Other affiliate members travelling for business or on holiday can train for free. Anyone that wants to come and try us out gets a week free and we ask they come at least 3 times that week. Pretty much all of our newbies come from word of mouth so we don't really have to deal with walk ins trying out the new gym in the area.[/QUOTE]

This. Learn from this guy.

Brian Strump 03-25-2011 04:20 PM

This is different than if someone is just in the area and wants to take a class while away from their affiliate.
If it's a new person that is considering joining, we offer 2 classes at no charge. Rarely are those with our regularly scheduled class, since we gradually increase a potential new members intensity, and skills.

[QUOTE=Joseph Nichols;918472]This. Learn from this guy.[/QUOTE]

Tamara Cohen 03-25-2011 04:45 PM

I've never been charged a drop in fee, even at affiliates that say they have one.

Tricia Magrini 03-25-2011 05:36 PM

Thanks all. I totally agree it depends on whether it is local folks interested in joining vs. a travelling Crossfitter. I just think $25 is $hitty for a L1 trainer trying to get a WOD in. Tamara.....you get in free cus you're hot.;)

Charlie A Nilsson 03-26-2011 02:26 AM

Been training Crossfit for little over 3 years and have never been charged a drop-in fee at an affiliate.
BTW usually mentions that i am LVL1 certified

Although there are usually one but after a chat and some money for a t-shirt the fee have always been waived...

An affiliate i visited i bought 2 t-shirts and no fee, next time no fee and they gave me an extra t-shirt for my mother.

I always carry enough cash to buy a t-shirt and/or pay an eventual fee.
There box, they have the right to charge me for a workout as all gyms do.

James lee 03-26-2011 04:15 PM

we don't charge anything for visit less than a week for any crossfitters. We do politely say that they could by a shirt if they want :)

we also ask them for a good review on yelp or google if they liked what they saw because great review on-line is 1000 times better than 25 bucks any day.

Ethan Nichol 03-28-2011 12:44 AM

I like the T-shirt exchange idea. Great way to spread the love.

Pretty soon everyone will be wearing them like they're Hard Rock Cafe shirts!

Jamie Gowens 03-28-2011 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=Tricia Magrini;918775]Thanks all. I totally agree it depends on whether it is local folks interested in joining vs. a travelling Crossfitter. I just think $25 is $hitty for a L1 trainer trying to get a WOD in. Tamara.....you get in free cus you're hot.;)[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying, but also...
you're wanting to use [i]their[/i] facility, [i]their[/i] programming, [i]their[/i] equipment, take up [i]their[/i] time in class, be covered by [i]their[/i] insurance...there's a cost for that.
I recognize the idea of an L1 cert. I also recognize that I've seen people in my own affiliate who've called ahead to tell me their coming, tell me their crossfit history, tell me where and when they got their L1, and reassure me several times that they're just looking to come in and workout and maybe meet some new people...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1.
That side of the coin is quite frustrating.

Josh Cook 03-28-2011 06:41 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie Gowens;919706]...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1.
That side of the coin is quite frustrating.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

I advertise a drop in rate on the website, but rarely ever collect it. I've never been charged by an affiliate when I've visited, so I try to pass the goodwill on. I always buy a shirt, though.
Because of our location(south florida), we get a lot of people that are only around for 1or 2 days. For that we usually offer people the opportunity to buy a shirt, or trade one from their gym back home, or to buy me a plate of ribs.
I don't charge other affiliate owners, because they usually aren't interested in being coached anyway, they just want to workout.
Active duty military never get charged.
If anyone is visting for a longer period than 1 or 2 days, we work something out.

Tamara Cohen 03-28-2011 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=Jamie Gowens;919706]...then that person actually arrives at my gym and they're a hot mess AND nearly uncoachable because hey man, they're an L1. That side of the coin is quite frustrating.[/QUOTE]

I did witness one visiting CFer who was such a total hot mess that one of the coaches had to spend the entire WOD helping him. And, I believe he went and puked after the WOD. I'm not sure what the best solution is in that case.

Jamie Gowens 03-28-2011 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Josh Cook;919720]Well said.

I advertise a drop in rate on the website, but rarely ever collect it. I've never been charged by an affiliate when I've visited, so I try to pass the goodwill on. I always buy a shirt, though.
Because of our location(south florida), we get a lot of people that are only around for 1or 2 days. For that we usually offer people the opportunity to buy a shirt, or trade one from their gym back home, or to buy me a plate of ribs.
I don't charge other affiliate owners, because they usually aren't interested in being coached anyway, they just want to workout.
Active duty military never get charged.
If anyone is visting for a longer period than 1 or 2 days, we work something out.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I rarely collect a drop in fee myself...especially if the person comes in and 'brings something to the table'.

Bryan Edwards 03-29-2011 03:41 AM

Being in a popular beach community we are swamped with tourist which includes tons of CrossFitters. Our rates are $15 for drop ins but waved if you buy a shirt. Those who give us a heads up and swap affiliate shirts get the fee waved. Most of the visitors we have had are experienced and do not require additional instruction. Its been my personal experience while traveling that most boxes extend the same offerings. Affiliate owners are not charged and we enjoy the visitors because they bring an unknown element into the box. Most give us great feedback on their experience and sometimes give us new ideas we implement into or box. So if you are in the Myrtle Beach area we have open doors for CF athletes.

Dan Uyemura 03-31-2011 01:27 PM

UNLESS your classes are so full adding one more person displaces a paying customer, I think drop in fees over $10 are borderline offensive.

That being said, I get that some owners really need to make ends meet. I'm not suggesting that they are trying to rip anyone off per se.

But especially in the CrossFit community where we are a big supportive community, preaching open source and accessible fitness, overcharging on the drop in feels wrong.

If you're travelling to LA - come drop in with us. FREE. Always. we're right by the LAX airport and love visitors.

Read our policies [URL="http://laxcrossfit.com/about-us/our-culture/"]here[/URL].

Dan Uyemura 03-31-2011 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=Bryan Edwards;919801]Being in a popular beach community we are swamped with tourist which includes tons of CrossFitters. Our rates are $15 for drop ins but waved if you buy a shirt. Those who give us a heads up and swap affiliate shirts get the fee waved. Most of the visitors we have had are experienced and do not require additional instruction. Its been my personal experience while traveling that most boxes extend the same offerings. Affiliate owners are not charged and we enjoy the visitors because they bring an unknown element into the box. Most give us great feedback on their experience and sometimes give us new ideas we implement into or box. So if you are in the Myrtle Beach area we have open doors for CF athletes.[/QUOTE]

DITTO this comment about bringing unknown. I ask every drop in visitor questions about things they do back home. Warm ups, techniques, etc. There's value in learning from people who are not a part of your daily process.

Jason Martin 03-31-2011 02:28 PM

A side note/suggestion for HQ....

It would be cool if there was some sort of standardized card or certification an athlete could get that demonstrated they know the basics of CF. Card could be presented when traveling, etc. Some way to verify that someone knows what is going on before they drop in.

Troy Peterson 03-31-2011 06:03 PM

[QUOTE=Jason Martin;920935]It would be cool if there was some sort of standardized card or certification an athlete could get that demonstrated they know the basics of CF. Card could be presented when traveling, etc. Some way to verify that someone knows what is going on before they drop in.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised at the direction of the posts....

1. CF affiliates are running a business
2. If you show up for a group class, you ARE taking their resources (trainers time, equipment)
3. There is no way a trainer will be able to tell what your ability level is unless they watch you and provide....training
4. If you contact a box that you'll be travelling by and let you in for free workout coaching, do their members who are also showing up for that timeslot also attending for free?
5. If you choose to workout at a non-CF/globo gym on the road, will they let you attend for free if you have a membership elsewhere?

If a box makes a decision to not charge a travelling CFer, I'm fine with that. But to expect you should be able to walk into a gym and workout for free, I don't get it. I've traveled to a number of different affiliates, contacted them first, tried to estimate which one I feel would provide the best experience and have paid the following in the past:
-free
-bought t-shirt
-paid $25
-paid $20 and bought a t-shirt

...and have been fine with all of them. But never felt entitled to workout for free. I'm all about CF as a whole, love the community and have enjoyed my traveling experiences. In fact, try to find affiliates and do a bit of planning around a workout when I do travel.

Mike Hopper 03-31-2011 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Troy Peterson;921011]5. If you choose to workout at a non-CF/globo gym on the road, will they let you attend for free if you have a membership elsewhere?

[/QUOTE]

It depends. Some places actually will or for very cheap. The facility I work for is a member of a national group (to show how important that membership is to me, I don't even know the name!) and if a person were to show up with a membership card showing that they are a member of a gym also belongs to the organization we'd let them in real cheap. But then again, we also offer any guests a guest pass for 5 bucks a day..

Tamara Cohen 04-01-2011 08:33 AM

[QUOTE=Troy Peterson;921011]I'm surprised at the direction of the posts....

1. CF affiliates are running a business
2. If you show up for a group class, you ARE taking their resources (trainers time, equipment)
3. There is no way a trainer will be able to tell what your ability level is unless they watch you and provide....training
4. If you contact a box that you'll be travelling by and let you in for free workout coaching, do their members who are also showing up for that timeslot also attending for free?
5. If you choose to workout at a non-CF/globo gym on the road, will they let you attend for free if you have a membership elsewhere?

If a box makes a decision to not charge a travelling CFer, I'm fine with that. But to expect you should be able to walk into a gym and workout for free, I don't get it. I've traveled to a number of different affiliates, contacted them first, tried to estimate which one I feel would provide the best experience and have paid the following in the past:
-free
-bought t-shirt
-paid $25
-paid $20 and bought a t-shirt

...and have been fine with all of them. But never felt entitled to workout for free. I'm all about CF as a whole, love the community and have enjoyed my traveling experiences. In fact, try to find affiliates and do a bit of planning around a workout when I do travel.[/QUOTE]

I never expect to train for free, I've just never been charged if I'm visiting. I offer to pay, bring a shirt, etc. One affiliate let me train multiple times for free in a week, and I sent them several nice jump ropes after because that was something they were lacking.

But, I do think that a $20 or $25 drop in fee is excessive. Every regular gym I have ever belonged to has had some sort of reciprocation agreement with other gyms. When you are paying $150 or $200 a month for a gym, I don't think expecting a similar agreement makes someone unreasonable.

Zan Vetter 04-01-2011 10:13 AM

In my experience sometimes the type of WOD dictates whether or not the owner charges me.

I don't love paying a fee and then ending up with a running, pushup, situp, squat type of WOD that requires no equipment and minimal coaching. I always feel I have received much better value for my money on a drop in when the WOD involves an olympic lift, pullups, rings, or some other type of movement that I couldn't otherwise do in a hotel gym or outside on the grass.

If there is coaching and/or equipment involved I will insist on paying. But if it is a run/squat/run/pushup thing and they offer me a freebee, I'm all over that!