CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Drop in Fee (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65975)

Andrew Craig 03-24-2011 03:09 AM

Re: Drop in Fee

CrossFit DBN - we don't have a drop in fee. Other affiliate members travelling for business or on holiday can train for free. Anyone that wants to come and try us out gets a week free and we ask they come at least 3 times that week. Pretty much all of our newbies come from word of mouth so we don't really have to deal with walk ins trying out the new gym in the area.

Matt Harris 03-24-2011 01:20 PM

I've visited two boxes on out-of-town trips. They both charged $20 for the first workout and gave me a free shirt. Or was it $20 for the shirt and the workout was free? Both clubs invited me back for additional workouts at no charge during my stay. And they said they'd be happy to trade a tee shirt from my local box in lieu of the fee. It's a nice welcoming policy and one of the many things I like about CrossFit. Next time I'm traveling with tees from my box!

Keith Martin 03-24-2011 01:42 PM

Two of the boxes I frequent charge $10 or $20. I don't think it's over the top. I'm on the fence, when I affiliate, as to whether I will charge a drop-in.

Brian Strump 03-24-2011 06:21 PM

I would much prefer an affiliates shirt, than $15.

If anyone's ever in Charlotte, bring a shirt, and come for a visit.

Zan Vetter 03-24-2011 08:29 PM

I travel for work and drop in to affiliates all over Canada and the US. The typical fee is $20, the odd boxes that are clearly in low rent districts charge $15, and the ones in high rent districts charge $25. A lot don't charge for the first time, and some that I've visited multiple times will waive the fee on occasion, but never have I been given a free t-shirt, which would be unexpected but awesome. I love doing the drop in because I end up seeing the same people again and again when I visit different cities.

Paying the fee and buying a shirt at the same time, $40, feels a bit painful for a single visit but I find it's a bit like tipping the bartender a bit extra on the first round. It tends to pay off over time if you don't start looking for freebies right away.

Guelph (home team)
YUL (Montreal)
YHZ (Kinetics)
YVR (CF Vancouver, Westside)
YEG (Lineage)
Whistler
SFO (Lalanne, San Fran CF)
LAX (Intrepid)
LAS (Las Vegas)
PHX (Full Strength)

One affiliate owner in Ottawa gave me a really hard time when I showed up. I had called 2 days prior (no response), day prior (no response). I thought what the heck everyone is always cool if I show up early, so I dropped in "unannounced". I got a huge runaround, "We don't do drop ins, you should have called", "It's a bad day we're doing squats" "Don't jump on my pullup bar" blah blah blah. It really made me angry but it's his gym. Then a few days later I thought man, that guy is really giving other affiliate owners a bad name and it was still bugging me, so I emailed HQ with my story. Glassman himself responded and thanked me for reaching out, said they'd been having problems with him for years and my email was confirmation of their fears. End result the owner decided (cough) to give up his affiliation.

The other dozen or so that I've been to have all been top notch! I wear my shirts to hotel and other globo gyms proudly.

Joseph Nichols 03-24-2011 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=Andrew Craig;918113]CrossFit DBN - we don't have a drop in fee. Other affiliate members travelling for business or on holiday can train for free. Anyone that wants to come and try us out gets a week free and we ask they come at least 3 times that week. Pretty much all of our newbies come from word of mouth so we don't really have to deal with walk ins trying out the new gym in the area.[/QUOTE]

This. Learn from this guy.

Brian Strump 03-25-2011 04:20 PM

This is different than if someone is just in the area and wants to take a class while away from their affiliate.
If it's a new person that is considering joining, we offer 2 classes at no charge. Rarely are those with our regularly scheduled class, since we gradually increase a potential new members intensity, and skills.

[QUOTE=Joseph Nichols;918472]This. Learn from this guy.[/QUOTE]

Tamara Cohen 03-25-2011 04:45 PM

I've never been charged a drop in fee, even at affiliates that say they have one.

Tricia Magrini 03-25-2011 05:36 PM

Thanks all. I totally agree it depends on whether it is local folks interested in joining vs. a travelling Crossfitter. I just think $25 is $hitty for a L1 trainer trying to get a WOD in. Tamara.....you get in free cus you're hot.;)

Charlie A Nilsson 03-26-2011 02:26 AM

Been training Crossfit for little over 3 years and have never been charged a drop-in fee at an affiliate.
BTW usually mentions that i am LVL1 certified

Although there are usually one but after a chat and some money for a t-shirt the fee have always been waived...

An affiliate i visited i bought 2 t-shirts and no fee, next time no fee and they gave me an extra t-shirt for my mother.

I always carry enough cash to buy a t-shirt and/or pay an eventual fee.
There box, they have the right to charge me for a workout as all gyms do.