CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Digital Coaching (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   C&J Video (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=7242)

Jerry Mobbs 08-21-2006 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some video of my clean and jerk.

I -think- it looks -okay-, but comparing it with the world class coaching tapes I reckon my mistakes are:

Going too low in the squat. In the side view I can see my lower back is no longer as straight as it was through the rest of the exercise. I feel this topples me forward sometimes and I can feel 'shaky' as I come up out of the squat.

Bending arms too early. In the front view, I can see I bend my arms when the bar is just above my knees. My understanding is that my arms should be straight until I have fully extended.

Are these my main faults, and what other issues should I look at?

Cheers

Jerry

Lincoln Brigham 08-22-2006 06:31 AM

Don't worry about the squat depth, worry about that early arm bend.

Once the bar passes your knees you turn the lift into an upright row. There is no rebend of the knees what so ever and the bar is several inches away from touching the thighs.

You should use considerably more patience before beginning the second pull. You should reach a point where the bar is touching the upper/middle part of the thighs and the arms are still straight. THEN you may jump the bar up.

The jerk looks much better.

Allen Yeh 08-22-2006 06:49 AM

If you feel like you are going to topple foward it is most likely because you are shifting too much weight to the balls of your feet or toes. I would also suggest not doing O-lifts in running shoes, I've found that the cushioning is not great for doing powerlifts/O-lifts in. Not to say you need to get O-lift shoes but shoes with little to no cushioning. I wear wrestling shoes because I happen to have them.

Is that stance the one you front squat in? I was watching your feet and It doesn't seem like you move your feet at all from the clean into the catch. If that is comfortable for you then I guess it isn't an issue but during the 2nd pull your feet should move out a little to accomodate the catch (front squat).

Jerry Mobbs 08-22-2006 07:35 AM

Lincoln,

Aha, that makes sense. I can't seem to increase my 1rm. I guess its because the early arm bend means my arm strength is now the limiting factor.

Allen,

Asian squat toilets gave me some good flexibility from an early age.

Thinking more about Lincolns post, my guess is the early arm bend means I've got less upward momentum, and therefore less chance to jump under the bar.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Off to fix my early arm bend.

Cheers

Jerry

Lincoln Brigham 08-22-2006 08:37 AM

The arm bend is acting like shock absorbers, taking energy from the legs and hips that should be going into the bar and dissipating that energy into the arms instead.

Jerry Mobbs 08-22-2006 09:55 AM

Lincoln

Understood

Many thanks for your time

Jerry