CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Food for thought (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=8793)

Kurt Ronald Mueller 03-10-2006 12:51 PM

Any brain foods out there that help increase cognition, memory, concentration?

Thanks,
Kurt

Ben Kaminski 03-10-2006 12:53 PM

Fish oil, caffeine, ZMA, to name a few off the top of my head.

Kevin McKay 03-10-2006 01:12 PM

What is ZMA?

Scott Kustes 03-10-2006 02:49 PM

Long answer: ZMA is a scientifically designed anabolic mineral formula. It contains Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate plus Magnesium Aspartate and vitamin B-6, and is an all-natural product that has been clinically proven to significantly increase anabolic hormone levels and muscle strength in trained athletes.

Short answer: A zinc/magnesium supplement. The only supplement I take other than fish oil (which isn't a supplement around here).

Taha Mohamedali 03-10-2006 04:57 PM

Scott do you cycle it or take it as a daily before bed? And do you use it everyday or only on days when you have a hard workout?

Do you konw anything about developing a tolerance to it?

Thanks!

Scott Kustes 03-10-2006 09:53 PM

I don't cycle...I just take it daily before bed pretty much daily. Sometimes I'll skip it if I didn't workout that day, but I'm pretty religious with it. I don't know anything about developing a tolerance to it. Someone with more knowledge may be able to help on that.

Robert Wolf 03-10-2006 10:22 PM

Sardines are great. DHA/EPA and a nifty little molecule DMAE.

joseph elberti 03-10-2006 10:25 PM

Piracetam combined with a good choline source.

Im telling you... I came into grad school only able to study 20 minutes before being wiped out... I can now do about 5 hours (with well timed breaks to further improve retention, of course).

bulknutrition.com good, reliable source for piracetam.

I get gpc choline from nutricraze.com.

Both places, best bang for your buck- at least as far as my research has taken me.

Google nootropics.

I would be suffering something fierce if it wasnt for them. There is a cumulative effect too- I noticed a constant, gradual improvement for up to about a year- and I have plateaued- but I am most definatly fireing on all cylanders (despite my inability to spell, I am AMAZED at what this has done for my ability to memorize and cram!)

Safe stuff too- they gave up trying to find the LD50 for piracetam, nontoxic, and theres lots of good solid research backing it up.

Ben Kaminski 03-11-2006 06:34 AM

Joseph, if I were to try those things based on your recommendation, how long before a noticeable effect would be expected? With a testimonial like that my curiosity is piqued, but I'm not going to embark on a year-long experiment. Thanks!

Steve Liberati 03-11-2006 08:56 AM

Foods are very questionable in my opinion for this purpose. Far better off reading a book, completing a crossword puzzle, or learning a new language if you are trying to increase cognition, memory, and concentration.