CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Starting (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Crossfit Gym? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67956)

Roger Steinbeck 06-15-2011 09:08 AM

Crossfit Gym?

I've done crossfit off and on for a while. just started working in a new area with a crossfit gym right down the rode, and i'm thinking of checking it out (i need something organized to motivate my *** to workout after work). the classes are an hour long, so can someone give me some idea what goes on in a 1 hour class, given that some workouts are clearly way under an hour? also, does a crossfit class give you a solid workout? i'm sure some people will disagree, but a shorter workout (1-1-1-1-1) won't cut it for me in terms of getting in a solid workout on the limited time that i have.

thanks.

Dan Bosco 06-15-2011 09:18 AM

Re: Crossfit Gym?

roger,

depending on that particular affiliate, you may be doing many different things in that hour
typically ull do a warm up, skill session, wod and cool down...some affiliates will throw in a strength session before the wod...

Dan Bosco 06-15-2011 09:22 AM

and a resounding YES to your second question...

dont brush aside the max lift days!! they are very intense and beneficial if you understand the bigger picture of how they fit into you CF workouts..hit them head on with determination and intensity....ull get a neuroendocrine response like no other!!

Thom Knapp 06-15-2011 10:27 AM

These questions are really better directed at the affiliate. Stop by the gym and ask... most affiliates and any good ones will be more than happy to walk you through a typical class and discuss their programming focus.

Scott Walters 06-16-2011 11:22 PM

Goodness we had a shortish (5-5-5-3-3-3-1-1-1) lifting day today, and I am BEAT UP. I am sore (in a good way) and tired, so dont underestimate them. But in most gyms (our for example) they are only a part of what you do overall.

Johan Lindstr 06-16-2011 11:46 PM

Its funny how people react to different kinds of workouts. :) I personally love the "short" workouts, with emphasis on strength (probably since i used to train discus and shot when i was younger), and really hate the running, rowing and super long sets. At the same time i feel thatīs the beauty in it, varying the workouts. Keeps things interesting.

Jarrod Henry 06-17-2011 08:02 AM

Can't have ball busting gut busting pukie-inducing metcons EVERY day.

Gotta build that strength :D

Rebecca Roth 06-17-2011 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Roger Steinbeck;948734]I've done crossfit off and on for a while. just started working in a new area with a crossfit gym right down the rode, and i'm thinking of checking it out (i need something organized to motivate my *** to workout after work). the classes are an hour long, so can someone give me some idea what goes on in a 1 hour class, given that some workouts are clearly way under an hour? also, does a crossfit class give you a solid workout? i'm sure some people will disagree, but a shorter workout (1-1-1-1-1) won't cut it for me in terms of getting in a solid workout on the limited time that i have.

thanks.[/QUOTE]

How is that short? if done properly, even without warmup (which you should always do), a true 1-1-1-1-1 should take you at least 15-20 minutes, that't just as long as most metcons WODs.

Brendan McNamar 06-17-2011 12:55 PM

Re: CrossFit Gym?

The question of what best goes into an hour class should be directed to the gym in question.

At my gym I aim for less then an hour most of the time.

The heavy 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 days require you to be a little more experienced to take full advantage of them. By experienced I mean having done enough lifting to have good form and an idea of your 1 Rep Max or 5 Rep Max. This allows correct weight to be used for the 7 heavy singles.

On these days I often modify the workout for my newer clients to work on sets of 5. This allows us to start to get a feel for their strength.

I have been lifting long enough that my 7 heavy singles will start 90+% of my 1 Rep Max and will lead to PR attempt somewhere in the last three Reps. That is a serious workout.

Johan Lindstr 06-19-2011 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=Rebecca Roth;949731]How is that short? if done properly, even without warmup (which you should always do), a true 1-1-1-1-1 should take you at least 15-20 minutes, that't just as long as most metcons WODs.[/QUOTE]

Very good point! Its really important to take your time with these if the goal is to get strong.