CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Crossfit Open 2016 (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89004)

Victor J McQuaide 12-21-2015 10:49 AM

Crossfit Open 2016

Appears to be the same format as last year.

Usually they repeat one workout. Any bets on which one. I think that they have to rule out 14.2/15.2 that one is tired.

15.1/15.1A or 15.5 are good ones to re test. Oly at the end of the met con is a good concept. HQ can find out if the motors are better and if the are stronger.
HQ loves thrusters.. add in the rowing also.. I would love to get that one again.

15.3 with the MU first is a good one also. See how many new mu people?

Any new exercises or apparatus coming?
Pistols (hard to judge depth)
triple unders (they have had them on the main site 7 or so times this year).. but I think that 3 unders will be a games thing. So hard to count.
GHD?
Bar Muscle ups
Max- OHS from the ground would establish a S20 plus ohs.
Hand Stand Walks?

Let us know your thoughts.

9 1/2 weeks away.

Cheers
Vic

Alex Burden 12-21-2015 11:49 AM

Re: Crossfit Open 2016

I would like to se 13.4 or 13.5

Both of them are a real test and to really see how far CF has comeback over the past years.

Most of all i would like to see 13.5 as this will really take people into the Dark zone and will really separate the field.

Steven Thunander 12-22-2015 11:59 PM

I think the retest will be 15.4 (HSPU/Power clean couplet), or 15.3 (MU's at beginning of WOD).

I do see the potential for 2 wods with 2 or more separate score components.

A max squat snatch after a wod with cleans and other movements, or a 5 RM front squat from the floor, ect, then WOD.

As far as new movements I could see are pistols, KB movements, Bar Muscleups, and HS walk. I also see the return of the Games standard HSPU.

Michael Cook 12-23-2015 10:15 AM

Here are some things I think we could see in the 2016 Open:

A 2 part wod with a strength component after a metcon.

Bar muscle ups.

A wod with muscle ups at the beginning, but with less reps than last year's 7 MU, 50 WB, 90 DU so that athletes will be able to do 5-8 rounds, rather than 2-4 rounds.

Burpees. Maybe even box jump burpees.

Ascending weights on OHS. Maybe coupled with ascending reps on TTB

HSPU - same standards as last year

16.5: a truly painful workout, like 14.5 (thrusters and bar facing burpees) and 15.5 (rowing and thrusters).

Alex Burden 01-06-2016 09:02 AM

It would be fun to Know what people have for goals in the open!

Where they would like to place and so on, if they are going scaled or not.

I will go RX as far as i can but i Know i will end up going scaled at least one week due to HSPU, MU,s possibly bar MU's but i am hoping to hit my first in the coming few weeks.

Goal
Top 200 Masters 45-49 Europe
Top 2500 Masters 45-49 World

Overall - no goal as this is not as important but better than last year :D

Victor J McQuaide 01-06-2016 09:40 AM

My goal is to end the workouts with one try, not stare at the leader board, and be 100% satisfied with the result.

Going 100% is what I struggle with. I tend to leave something in the bank each workout. Call it incredible pacing or just fear of the pain in the uncomfortable. But in crossfit and life I will not get to where I want to go sub max.

Wishing everyone good luck in the open. Would be interested in what others goals are going to be.

Jayme Gruber 01-06-2016 02:04 PM

The Games FB page posted a poll today:

100 burpees
or
100 wallballs

Possibly letting the community pick a WOD like they did for Heavy DT/Double DT at The Games?

Jason A Smith 01-06-2016 08:45 PM

I saw that. I think that could be a buy in for one of the week's events. Maybe 100 of one of those and then some Weightlifting ladder or something.

As I have a bum shoulder I doubt I will enter the Open this year. I may sort of do some of the events but it is not a make or break.

I am simialr to Vic. Although I usually can put in close to max on these workouts.

Victor J McQuaide 01-07-2016 03:57 PM

I think that it would be cool to have the public pick one of the workouts. Really doesn't matter to the top pro's they can do anything very well. But sometimes its nice to have a say in the workout.

One of the comps I did you could have a pick of each of the following-
1 min worth of:
Bar mu- 3 points
C2B - 2 points
Pull ups- 1 points

Next min:
Pistols- 3 points
1 leg squat to box- 2 points
Air squat - 1 point

Next min:
4" deficit hspu- 3 points
HSPU- 2 points
HSPU with 2 ab mats- 1 point

Next min:
70# kb- 3 points
53# kb - 2 points
35# kb- 1 point

They also had a ladder-
Clean- 1 point
Clean and Jerk- 2 points
Snatch- 3 points

The ladder went from 135-275.. was cool snatch then clean and jerk.

Crossfit could do something like that. They would have to really do some testing to make sure that things were fair.

Then strategy would come into the process.

Everyone attacking the workouts in a different way.

But I would be surprised if they let us have a say in matters.

The Double DT or Heavy DT.. that was cool. But if they do this again they should give us more notice and advertise it more. I don't like DT much so I did not really care. When I first saw it I thought the athlete picked 2DT or Heavy DT.. now that would have been cool.

John Drohan 01-08-2016 11:49 AM

Victor,

Good, creative ideas for sure. The only issue I see is that CrossFit has to keep the events simple enough such that they can be scored easily and consistently. I'm sure they receive enough video submissions too such that the events need to be easily filmed for review.

Anyway, not being critical, I like some of your suggestions a lot.

Victor J McQuaide 01-08-2016 12:10 PM

John,
I know that its not possible yet… but someday they are going to have to make the sport new and improved. They can't always just save the good stuff like the peg wall for the games. People want to do this.

Jason A Smith 01-08-2016 03:22 PM

Until numbers start to dwindle they will continue along the same path.

I find this curious as the original appeal was that regular type folks could compete at this, but now even local events have turned into invite only "Pro" spectacles and taken most of the regular people out of the equation.

i totally understand the appeal of competition for people that were formerly competitive in something else, I just have to think that in another year or two most folks will find it less and less interesting to try and see how they stack up in something like the Open.

I could be very wrong though..............

Victor J McQuaide 01-13-2016 01:28 PM

Jason you are right. Keep with the present model until you find you need to change. If they have over 300k people do the open then its working. 250k or under maybe something cool and new. I think that they have the option to change their minds thru the open.

Mauricio Leal 01-14-2016 04:18 PM

The world is a A LOT bigger than we like to think. For every one of you that have done CF/The Open for several years now, there are MANY others who have never done a CF workout even.

There is a natural cycle to things. You will get bored and jaded of competing (when you realize you're not going to win anything) at the same time as some kid is diving head first into the kool-aid bowl. And there are probably way more of them than us ;). Honestly, when things get too big, I think most retreat into and are happy enough in their local tribe. There are still plenty of reasons for people to want to compete within their own gym, regardless of their worldwide Open score. Girls, for one. Girls like it when you finish 43rd but throw down, like, hardcore bro, and can still stand up and celebrate the achievements of others afterwards. Being a big fish in a small pond is also pretty satisfying. So is PRing, and y'know, pushing yourself, self-actualizing and all that.

Not everyone has to like the Open or even CF for it to continue being very successful. Not even close. It isn't pizza. My bet is that CF will respond to the market over time and fill in the gaps, or the market itself will. We're already doing it on the affiliate level with Intramural Opens. I don't think anyone is going to step up and create something better than the Open. HQ is already light-years ahead, still improving, and have effectively cornered the market. I signed up for the Open today, doing it just to do it; to celebrate all the growth I have had that you can't measure. Keep on doing what you enjoy!

Steven Thunander 01-15-2016 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1259798)
Until numbers start to dwindle they will continue along the same path.

I find this curious as the original appeal was that regular type folks could compete at this, but now even local events have turned into invite only "Pro" spectacles and taken most of the regular people out of the equation.

i totally understand the appeal of competition for people that were formerly competitive in something else, I just have to think that in another year or two most folks will find it less and less interesting to try and see how they stack up in something like the Open.

I could be very wrong though..............

On the first point, there are competitions that are "novice and intermediate" only such as the festivus games. Then there are some competitions that are crazy even for the "Scaled" division where they call for the scaled athletes to have muscleups, DU's, and at least a 185/125lb C+J.

Price Goosby 01-15-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide (Post 1259794)
John,
I know that its not possible yet… but someday they are going to have to make the sport new and improved. They can't always just save the good stuff like the peg wall for the games. People want to do this.

The point of the open is to be as inclusive as possible, it's why rowers weren't even introduced until a year or two ago. Every workout has to be tailored so that the general public has access to the equipment needed.

Steven Thunander 01-17-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Price Goosby (Post 1259944)
The point of the open is to be as inclusive as possible, it's why rowers weren't even introduced until a year or two ago. Every workout has to be tailored so that the general public has access to the equipment needed.

The thing is that CFHQ now assumes that most people will be doing the Open in an affiliate setting. Thus, HQ can start to include more complex movements such as bar MU, pistols, rope climbs, KB swings, and others.

Christopher Morris 01-17-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thunander (Post 1259978)
CFHQ now assumes that most people will be doing the Open in an affiliate setting.

I doubt that...

But when it doubt, a home CrossFitter could always drop in on an affiliate to be judged for any workout that they lack equipment.

Diana Alt 01-22-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Morris (Post 1259981)
I doubt that...

But when it doubt, a home CrossFitter could always drop in on an affiliate to be judged for any workout that they lack equipment.

CrossFit would know best how many people do the workouts at affiliates, since the process for getting scores validated is different if you do the WOD elsewhere.
there are certainly lots of videos to validate every year, but the majority absolutely go to an affiliate.

Victor J McQuaide 01-26-2016 03:25 PM

Looks like they are going to have one of the open announcements in a Garage gym.. Guess that its cool for them to do. I like the big stage with the crowd. Guess someone's gym could be quite big.

Cheers
Vic

Nicholas Wheeler 01-27-2016 06:19 PM

I'll be submitting my garage gym as a potential location. Not going to lie, if I won that opportunity, I'd likely have a full on heart-attack. I've been having to reel myself back to reality that while I have a pretty awesome garage gym (linked in signature) I imagine it's not nearly as nice as most everyone elses out there! I'm close enough to Ben Smith and Nathan Bramblett that they wouldn't have to travel to far (about 30 minute drive for each, maybe 45 depending on traffic)

Jason A Smith 01-28-2016 06:12 AM

I put a picture of my space up as well. I am beyond unlikely as I am way up here in Canada, not sure what they have in mind by using your garage but it would be pretty cool of they did.

I am unlikely at best to be doing the Open this year as I am still not back at 100% after getting diagnosed with a SLAP tear. So likely watching everyone from the sidelines this year.......for the first time ever.

Nicholas Wheeler 01-28-2016 07:07 AM

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBFSMw0O...ged=opengarage

My post is up. Link SFW. I took the majority of my gear out of the gym, as logic tells me they will likely show up with all Rogue gear. There quite a few full blown affiliates that aren't REMOTELY a garage but "have a garage door" that are posting. I really hope CFHQ doesn't choose one of those, because it's ridiculous. They are literally bigger than quite a few affiliates that have been chosen in the past.

John Drohan 01-28-2016 09:21 AM

Nicholas,

Good luck - saw your post over at reddit. I submitted mine too, but as I commented over there, yours puts mine to shame. I really like your space, great job!

Mine is here: http://imgur.com/z0uG5Yr (WFS)

It looks much better in the summer with the garage door open. :)

Nicholas Wheeler 01-28-2016 09:27 AM

John, you've got an awesome space - the only difference is mine has more yellow paint! Go get some paint!

Jon Campbell 01-29-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason A Smith (Post 1260234)
I put a picture of my space up as well. I am beyond unlikely as I am way up here in Canada, not sure what they have in mind by using your garage but it would be pretty cool of they did.

I am unlikely at best to be doing the Open this year as I am still not back at 100% after getting diagnosed with a SLAP tear. So likely watching everyone from the sidelines this year.......for the first time ever.

Right there with you. I've been battling plantar fasciitis for 4-5 months now. Can't do double unders and struggle some days with box jumps.

Victor J McQuaide 01-29-2016 11:10 AM

Those are some super cool gyms. My gf and complaints of our roof has stopped my home gym progress. Its silly to have a home gym for me. Our local community and friends of mine who own gym, I have a work gym.. my home gym is more of a large screen with a hammock.. stretching and yoga also. The rower is heavy enough to hold the blue band so I get shoulder mobility.

At first I thought that it was a silly Ideal. But then later I think its a cool thing. I forget how many people throw down in their home gyms.

Great pictures guys.

Vic

Nicholas Wheeler 02-01-2016 11:37 AM

And now I anxiously wait to find out I didn't win.

Steven Thunander 02-03-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler (Post 1260235)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BBFSMw0O...ged=opengarage

My post is up. Link SFW. I took the majority of my gear out of the gym, as logic tells me they will likely show up with all Rogue gear. There quite a few full blown affiliates that aren't REMOTELY a garage but "have a garage door" that are posting. I really hope CFHQ doesn't choose one of those, because it's ridiculous. They are literally bigger than quite a few affiliates that have been chosen in the past.

There are still quite a few actual affiliates operating out of a home garage. I suspect that HQ may choose one of those.

Michael Cook 02-04-2016 10:24 AM

I think that if they are going to do one of the workouts in someone's garage gym, it is going to be a very simple workout. Something that 2 people can do in a garage at the same time: so no rig, no rower etc.

Maybe a repeat of the Deadlift & box jump workout from 2014?

I am pretty sure CF will bring their own equipment. It would be cool if they let the garage gym owner keep the equipment.

Victor J McQuaide 02-04-2016 01:00 PM

Castro was in the gym yesterday.. he said he did not think that it would be a gym in CA. Might have to be a big enough gym for 2 athletes, two judges, mega media.. and a surge of crowd outside. Who knows.. will be cool.

Maybe Rogue came up with the idea to stimulate more sales.. then people will be gearing up for the years to come to host all of the garage gym announcements in the years to come.

Victor J McQuaide 02-04-2016 01:05 PM

What if Castro asked you to come up with the workout and said to make it fit your needs. What would you pick.

I would pick 15-20 min of- AMRAP
15 hspu (open rules from last year)
50 double unders

back up-
15 min AMRAP
20' hs walk un broken
135# dead 20 reps
15 box jumps

Don't think that they are going to do this but the power of positive thinking is strong.

Michael Cook 02-05-2016 09:46 AM

I was just talking with a friend about HS walk in the open. He thought if HS walk was in the Open it would be a 20ft unbroken HS walk.

I'd love to see HS walk in the Open or Masters qualifier. I could do that all day long.

Victor J McQuaide 02-05-2016 01:02 PM

Wish ub hsw.. but it they did put it in would most likely be just a certain distance..

Just like pistols coming in they would not do weighted pistols.

What is the over or under on bar muscle ups this year?

Over or under on Snatch being the max after a met con?

Any new apparatus being announced? Air Assault bike?

Any repeats.. hope 16.2 is not 14.2 and 15.2.. although I did fine on that one its would just be getting old. If I were a betting person I would say that repeat would be 15.4 just to see if people got better on their hspu.. or 15.3 to see if anyone got better on muscle ups from the get go.

Hope everyone has fun with the open.. I am sure it will be fun and nerve racking.

Oh yes maybe a lift from the rack?

Shawn M Wilson 02-05-2016 01:10 PM

I dropped into a box this week who was doing the open workout 8 min HsPU and cleans for the day and actually got more this time than I did last year... Course I haven't really worked out in 1 month which makes it even funnier. (Pulled bicep 1 month ago)

Knowing how to attack it helped a ton.

I still ocassionally beat better athletes because some of them fail to know how to attack a WOD. Learning when to redline or when to stay below and how to maintain discipline to not speed up because the guy next to you is going balls out does a lot.

Not 100% sure if I'll sign up this year since I have a trip to Africa in March and won't find a box or have time while I'm there.

Steven Ngo 02-11-2016 11:33 AM

"Get Twelve" promotion:

Shouldn't you be able to purchase up to 12 tickets? It's like "hey we need 12 of you to qualify, but only 8 can get the early access" :dunno:

(wfs) http://games.crossfit.com/article/get-twelve-intheopen

Quote:

We’re giving affiliates the first shot at tickets to the 2016 Reebok CrossFit Games.

It’s simple. Get 12 or more members from your affiliate to sign up for the Open and you’ll be given a code that grants access to the ticketing website six days before it opens to the general public.

How It Works

Get 12+ members to sign up for the Open.
Your Affiliate Manager will receive a code in early April.
Use the code on April 22 to purchase up to 8 tickets through AXS.com
The remaining tickets will go on sale April 28.

John Drohan 02-11-2016 02:28 PM

I may be incorrect here, but it seems like HQ is doing more marketing for the open than normal. Could this be the first year we witness a decline in participation?

The creation of artificial demand on Games tickets as a motivator for more Open registrations seems, shall I say, desperate? Not trying to stir the pot, just trying to make an educated guess on what's going on.

As I said, I could be wrong.

Victor J McQuaide 02-11-2016 05:15 PM

Looks like they have 115+ k right now. Seems with 2 weeks to go will be a big push. I have not signed up yet so I am sure 100k more people will do it.

John Drohan 02-12-2016 06:57 AM

I'm sort of, well am, a big numbers nerd. Turned me into an engineer. Anyway, data fascinates me, so please bear with me.

Exponential and/or geometric growth is unsustainable. I've been witness to other fads before and seen them rise, fall, and stabilize. Besides working out, I've played poker (lifetime winner!!! :) ) for the last 12 years and saw the poker fad come and go. To wit, the following data represents World Series of Poker Main Event participants. I'm not posting all of it, just the years 2003 through 2007. The data is "Year", "Participants", and "Year over year growth". 2003 was the year Chris Moneymaker won and was one of the main reasons for the "boom" in growth.

2003 839 32.96%
2004 2,576 207.03%
2005 5,619 118.13%
2006 8,773 56.13%
2007 6,358 -27.53%

Now, the following data is the Crossfit Open participants from 2011 to 2015:

2011 26000 -
2012 69000 165.38%
2013 138000 100.00%
2014 209000 51.45%
2015 273000 30.62%

So I'm going to make a claim that either this year or next we'll see the first decline in participation.

(Don't shake the tree lest I fall off this limb....) :)

Steven Thunander 02-12-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide (Post 1260542)
Looks like they have 115+ k right now. Seems with 2 weeks to go will be a big push. I have not signed up yet so I am sure 100k more people will do it.

I suspect this is the case. Most of my box has yet to sign up.