CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37110)

Erin Davidson 07-10-2009 06:08 AM

Re: Steve's "I'm not aging quietly" log

Looks like some really dedicated work, Steve. KEEP IT UP! :kicking0:

Stephen R. Lampl 07-10-2009 11:16 AM

[quote=Erin Davidson;621993]Looks like some really dedicated work, Steve. KEEP IT UP! :kicking0:[/quote]

Erin,

Thanks so much for stopping by! It's always great to hear from you and I love looking in (when I get the chance, though lately, that's been the exception to the rule) on what you and the Tribe have going on.

Workouts are a bit haphazard right now - - still trying to find a job and working into a hybrid CFFB / Main Page program to build basic strength (it's working!).

Take care!

Stephen R. Lampl 07-10-2009 07:50 PM

[I][B]090710 FRIDAY

[/B][/I][B][I]Unplanned "light duty" day.

[/I][/B][I]Looks like I really did something bad to my right knee - - the pain was serious just trying to do air squats....

[B]Warm-up:
[/B][/I][B]Stationary Cycling: [/B]10:00 / L3 / 100 RPM / 2.6 miles. Knee felt OK doing this.[I]
[B]Partial CF Redding Warm-up[/B][/I]:
No squats, burpees, or OHS.

[I][B]CFFB Strength WOD: [/B][/I](Amateur)
[B]Strict Chin-ups - max reps X 3, rest 3 minutes between sets.
[/B]8, 7, 6 = 21.

[I]Intended to do bench presses - - all stations in use by high school kids.
Probably going to be side-lined or at least limited for a while in what I can do........
[/I]

Stephen R. Lampl 07-12-2009 02:29 PM

[I][B]090711 SATURDAY

090712 SUNDAY

Both REST DAYS........

[/B]Got a good analysis of my R/Knee injury from my friend who is the owner of and Dr. at a local PT clinic. It appears to be one of overuse / over-compensation for the minor hamstring tear of my L/leg.

It is probable that I overdid it walking at a high angle - 10% or more on the treadmill, or the relatively large (for me) number of power cleans I'd done in the preceding week +.

Rx........more rest days, R.I.C.E., foam rolling, deep tissue massage, and alternate WODs.......
[/I]

Ted Apollo 07-14-2009 10:00 PM

hey steve i am just checking in with you. i hope the recovery is going well? how long are you supposed to stay off of it & not wod?

i was thinking when you are ready to start working out again if you might be able to do some light tai chi? since crossfit is about: "endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, accuracy, agility, and balance" maybe some light tai chi would help with the balance, accuracy, and coordination? it would be a good way to start moving your body again without hardcore strain.

Nancy Cohen 07-15-2009 12:14 PM

[QUOTE=Ted Apollo;624741]
i was thinking when you are ready to start working out again if you might be able to do some light tai chi? since crossfit is about: "endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, accuracy, agility, and balance" maybe some light tai chi would help with the balance, accuracy, and coordination? it would be a good way to start moving your body again without hardcore strain.[/QUOTE]

Great advice, Ted. Or, how about water exercise!

Steve, interesting you mention that you think your problem might have been exasterbated (sp?) by doing treadmill at a steep incline. I'm convinced that my achilles problem developed from walking steep hills...I wasn't even doing any running when it developed. And then, yes, of course, it's actual cause might be from other muscles being weak, and compensations, etc.. But, I stay away from those hills now.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-19-2009 08:54 PM

I've been MIA for a few days......missing everyone's great work, so I'll be back now checking in on all y'all.....
[I][B]
090713 thru 090718 (Monday through Saturday):

[/B][/I]Spent this entire week up in Redding helping our daughter move out of her old apartment and in to her new place.......100 degree-plus heat each day! Not too upset I didn't have any chance to work out. I got more than my fair share of exercise.

[I][B]090719 SUNDAY

REST DAY..........[/B]Ready to get back at it!
[/I]

Nancy Cohen 07-20-2009 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen R. Lampl;627813]
[/B][/I]Spent this entire week up in Redding helping our daughter move out of her old apartment and in to her new place.......100 degree-plus heat each day! [/QUOTE]

aaaackkkkkk! And it was 110 in Fresno on Saturday. Just nasty! Husband went cycling out to Millerton Lake while I was doing my water cert all day. His cycle computer was reading 120 degrees out on the open road. I told him he's lucky he didn't just drop dead.

Irony was that I was in an indoor pool for 3 hours, and was getting hypothermia. I was literally losing the feeling in my fingers. I turned to look at the woman next to me, and her lips were completely blue, and she said she was also losing feeling in her fingers. Go figure!

Nancy Cohen 07-21-2009 03:41 PM

Steve, I found this on some random web site. Thought you'd get a kick out of it. As a swimmer, even I found the explanation pretty hilarious. It would be nearly impossible for someone to read this and understand it!! Enjoy!

[COLOR="Red"]The Flip Turn, Simplified:[/COLOR]
[B]Swim fast. Simultaneously do three things, all quickly:[/B] tuck your chin to your chest while pulling your outstretched arm to your side (your other arm is at your other side already) and make a little dolphin kick. Be patient and don't do anything else until you are folded in two with legs quite straight and eyes looking up to the surface of the water. Then, at the same time, turn your palms down and press on them while bending your legs and your turn is complete. Don't forget to leave your arms alone. It's your hips that leave your hands, not the other way around.

Stephen R. Lampl 07-21-2009 08:56 PM

[quote=Nancy Cohen;629220]Steve, I found this on some random web site. Thought you'd get a kick out of it. As a swimmer, even I found the explanation pretty hilarious. It would be nearly impossible for someone to read this and understand it!! Enjoy!

[COLOR=Red]The Flip Turn, Simplified:[/COLOR]
[B]Swim fast. Simultaneously do three things, all quickly:[/B] tuck your chin to your chest while pulling your outstretched arm to your side (your other arm is at your other side already) and make a little dolphin kick. Be patient and don't do anything else until you are folded in two with legs quite straight and eyes looking up to the surface of the water. Then, at the same time, turn your palms down and press on them while bending your legs and your turn is complete. Don't forget to leave your arms alone. It's your hips that leave your hands, not the other way around.[/quote]

Nancy,

You are sooooooo correct - - there is not a snowball's chance in the "hot place" that I'd EVER understand this......except trying to get my little brain around this tells me I would end up spinning sideways (horizontally) in the water using the one outstretched arm and making a little dolphin kick.....

Thanks for sharing this tidbit of hilarity. I've forwarded it to my daughter. She will get a kick out of it!