CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39328)

John Penner 11-15-2008 10:34 AM

Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II

I started this Primal/Paleo thing last week and a friend turned me on to this thread from last Aug. We saw it had a lot of hits & replys so we thought another Challenge would be well appreciated.:kicking0:

Here is what it said

"Here's the skinny for those of you wannabe Cave People. We're seeing if we can do 21 days* without eating grains or sugar.
We start today, Monday Aug. 4th and end Sunday August 24th

Those are generally the devil foods, so besides that everything is fair game. We think this is the major thing that we need to take care of while moving to a cleaner diet. Later we can do some more fine tuning such as watching macros or eliminating dairy, alcohol, fruit, salt, caffeine or whatever. But "spirit of the law" here is to ease into eating a clean and paleo/primal diet.

*I picked 21 days because that's how long it takes to form a habit according to some sources. Which is probably bull but it sounded like a nice number. Besides, Danielle is going on a fabulous vacay in three weeks and she needs to be able to eat delicious once-in-a-lifetime foods.

Who's in?"

So....My little tweeks are steping it up to 30 days:stir: & no slips, but if you do, to stay in the challenge you must post/confess exact discription of your slip (6 M&Ms, 3 king size Snickers, or 2 cups pasta ect.)

Who's in? today is day #1 so...11/15 to 12/15
I know Thanksgiving is in there so make your own goals there and let us know what they are.

PLEASE add and contribute to this Challenge.

Ted Apollo 11-16-2008 10:59 AM

Re: Kick the Sugar/Grains habit Challenge II

i am in for sure. i was thinking of posting this challenge myself a week ago. i did the challenge in august and the results were awesome. i lost weight and inches, but what the real benefit was my energy level. the only stipulation i request is that on turkey day there is a challenge exemption.

Lauren Hall 11-16-2008 12:59 PM

I would be in (with the caveat of a cheat day on Thanksgiving), but I have a question:
- How are we defining sugars? Simply refined sugars? Sugars broadly would encompass everything from fruit to sweet potatoes.

If we make it a little more clear what we're avoiding, I'm down for the challenge. Fortunately, I got my cheat day over with prior to the 15th, so I'm still on track.

My goal is no grains or refined sugars (no processed foods at all) until the 15th. Who else is in?

Steven Bowser 11-16-2008 01:13 PM

I already started it and Thanksgiving will be day 31. At which time I plan on taking the day off and starting back up after to do a total of 60 days. I cut 10 pounds so far and my goal is to cut another 15. Seems that the first 8 pound fell off me the first week and slowed down and only lost 2 pounds the second week. I can see the results in the mirror and I am stuck at 200 pounds. I feel a little weaker but I want to get down to 185 to make my runs easier.
I also made a promise that I would eat and entire pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. That challange would get some takers for sure. LOL

Ted Apollo 11-16-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauren Hall (Post 447861)
If we make it a little more clear what we're avoiding, I'm down for the challenge. Fortunately, I got my cheat day over with prior to the 15th, so I'm still on track.

My goal is no grains or refined sugars (no processed foods at all) until the 15th. Who else is in?

in the past challenge the rules where pretty much paleo. so sugar in foods naturally were ok. but any added sugar or syrups were a negative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Bowser (Post 447874)
I already started it and Thanksgiving will be day 31. At which time I plan on taking the day off and starting back up after to do a total of 60 days. I cut 10 pounds so far and my goal is to cut another 15. Seems that the first 8 pound fell off me the first week and slowed down and only lost 2 pounds the second week. I can see the results in the mirror and I am stuck at 200 pounds. I feel a little weaker but I want to get down to 185 to make my runs easier.
I also made a promise that I would eat and entire pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. That challange would get some takers for sure. LOL

I like the pumpkin pie eating contest steven! you start the thread and we will post results online with videos. how would we do it? timed? tabata? max?

John Penner 11-16-2008 04:30 PM

Paleo recomendations for me so, some fruits. Thanksgiving is up to all of you but the leftover mashed potatoes & pie for Fri., Sat. Sun. is out. If you have Thanksgiving on a different day for some reason then we will call it a 1 day cheat.

Also if your goal varies from this a little that's fine just let us know what it is and stick to it.

M-36/5'10"/162.6lbs.

How are you guys measuring BF?

my garage gym didn't offer that.;)

John

Andrea Schüler 11-16-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Penner (Post 447285)
I started this Primal/Paleo thing last week

So....My little tweeks are steping it up to 30 days:stir: & no slips, but if you do, to stay in the challenge you must post/confess exact discription of your slip (6 M&Ms, 3 king size Snickers, or 2 cups pasta ect.)

Who's in? today is day #1 so...11/15 to 12/15
I know Thanksgiving is in there so make your own goals there and let us know what they are.
PLEASE add and contribute to this Challenge.

Thanks for bringing up this challenge. I am in. No grains, no sugar. Then for me tomorrow is day one. With one little exception: the sugar in my breakfast espresso. It tastes horrible without sugar. I already joined the quit smoking challenge. I don't want to overdo it with heroism. ;)
Too much drug withdrawal at one time maybe too much. :crutch00:

Andrea Schüler 11-16-2008 04:51 PM

Correction. I have no clue what time it is in California. Here in Berlin, Germany, it is 0.50 A. M. (Monday 11-17). Well then - today is my day one.:cool:

Melanie Paulson 11-16-2008 05:32 PM

I'm in! No grains, no refined sugar until December 16, excepting Thanksgiving Day. I don't have a way to measure bodyfat other than the random number generator on my bathroom floor, so I'll be taking measurements.

Steven Bowser 11-16-2008 06:00 PM

I like the pumpkin pie eating contest steven! you start the thread and we will post results online with videos. how would we do it? timed? tabata? max?[/quote]

I still got people at my gym not talking to me because of the Cindy Challenge. They think I made up the name Apollo. LOL

I am not BSing. I am gonna eat a whole pumpkin pie. Might need the pukie bucket but I am doing it.