CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39289)

Tim Fisher 05-09-2012 10:55 AM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
My son is back from Army training so I have my workout buddy back.

warm up 2 miles on bike

wod - 17,15,13,11,9 135 Bench Press, 55 db swings, assisted pull ups

Cliff Miller 05-09-2012 04:45 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
today.

3 x 2 k.m. runs

10:15, 10:48, 10:47 (had air supply on the i pod so that i would push to finsh my run faster so that i would not have to listen to them any longer :confused:) it seemed not to help my time

ended 90 day no booze challenge. alcohol clean except for 6 beer at the beach since super bowl sunday. the longerst the other 8 people in the challenge at the box went was 22 days.

feel better for it. now the challenge is not to go back to my past habits not that they were bad....

will have to moniter the situation and see how the body feels cause i enjoy the way i feel today :pepper:

John Burch 05-09-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
Good work Pat
Tim glad to hear that your son is back with you
Speaking of Tim whatever happened to the Preacher from Washington?

5/9
bench with Chains wu @ 135 1@185 1@225 F@255
Pushpress Triple 135/155/175
3x12 DB seated press @25 each arm
5 35lb pullups

WOD
5:00 EMOM
15 Abmat situps
10 pushup
5:00 EMOM
8 T2B
8 GHD Back extensions
5:00 EMOM
:30 ring holds
8 walking Lunges

Post 1 mile run
m/57/180

Tim Fisher 05-09-2012 07:40 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
wod - 5 rounds - 15 push ups, 15 air squats, 55 lbs each hand farmers carry, 10 70lb chopper right, 10 70lb chopper left

bicep work out and 100 reps 45 bp bar

Jim Cordes 05-10-2012 12:16 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
5/8 Workout
SB Sweat at Alameda Park
Three rounds of 60 seconds at seven stations with about 15 seconds between stations and a run after each round. Stations included jump rope, suicide sprints, kettle bells swings, burpees, lunges, sit ups, etc. As the name suggests, I built up quite a sweat. Second workout of the day, which may have been a little much.

5/10 WOD
“Barbara”
5 Rounds For Time:
20 pullups
30 pushups
40 situps
50 squats
3 minutes rest between rounds

33:06 including rest, so 21:06 of work.
First two rounds 4:00 even, then 4:16, then I lost track. Came close to a meeting with Pukie when done. Some awesome times this morning, I expect to see at least Shane on the leaderboard with 29:12. (Link to whiteboard (WFS): [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/93561498@N00/7171576402/[/url]) And as Coach Christina pointed out, big props to Sarah Schultz for (1) being only girl at 6 am and (2) doing situps on floor instead of the mat like the rest of us guys.

Claw

Alden Hingle 05-10-2012 03:41 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
Deb - I'd be happy too if my lifts looked like that. I'm still trying to get my t-spine loosened up so that the middle back curves the right way. I'm gaining ground but not there yet.

Tim - Glad to hear your son is back. It won't be any fun for you if he deploys.

Don't remember the last day I posted.

5/7 - Rest/ travel day

5/8 No gym in the hotel so 4 rounds of:
run for 2:30
wall pushups X 10
air squats X 15
walking lunges X 20

5/9 Long travel day, no workout

5/10
Warmup - RC warm up; t-spine mobility; 3 rounds (20 reps each) of 45# pulldowns, 30# shoulder press, PVC OH squats; Burgner warmup

Workout: deadlifts 45#, 95#, 95# X 15 reps interspersed with dumbbell swings 10#, 15#, 20# X 20 reps

Cash out: wobble board

Am amazed at how much strength/ endurance has disappeared after only a few months of not being able to work out. Also still feeling my way around to determine what hurts and what feels ok.

Andrew Tsao 05-10-2012 05:22 PM

Over 50 and stalled
 
Need some advice from fellow over 50's.

Been doing Xfit 3-4 times a week for ten weeks.

On Paleo diet about 85%.

Sleep 7-9 depending on the day, and even go in to the box on off days for mobility, maybe a little light rowing, the occasional technique question.

While I am down two belt notches and feeling my clothing get looser all around, my belly fat and neck fat remain stubbornly evident.

Also, though I can see muscular changes everywhere, something strange is happening. This weeks WODs almost drove me to DNF. I am having to dump weight, far below the women's RX'd to finish, and still I am the last one done by a long measure.

Am I getting weaker? My endurance seems to be diminishing. Any observations on this? Since everyone in my box, including the coaches are half my age, they don't really understand my personal struggles with Xfit.

Just for background, I am 52, weighed 223 when I started at 5'10" height. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, former smoker.

I haven't gotten on a scale yet, just going by the good news in the mirror.

But what the heck is going on with lack of strength and endurance? My WOD times are actually getting WORSE.

Thanks for any wisdom from my master's Xfit colleagues.

Jim Cordes 05-10-2012 06:07 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
Andrew, a couple quick thoughts.

Belly and neck fat will decrease primarily based on how and what you eat, and only secondarily on how much you train. It's just not feasible to excercise off the calories in a couple cheeseburgers and shakes. (Want to test that? Go on the C-2 rower and row until you've hit 1,000 calories.)

Next, your diminished performance may be related to overtraining. If you're here, you're probably Type A who fixes everything by going harder, louder, and faster. Three or four WOD's a week for someone of your health history who has only been at Crossfit a couple months sounds like a lot. Try taking a longer and/or more frequent rest days and see how that helps.

Also, your mobility is probably compromised, which only makes the movements more difficult. As you eventually loosen up, you will be able to perform the same amount of work with less effort, which will also help your results. You'll need more time to stretch out, before and after the WOD's, than the kids.

But have faith brother! This stuff works!

Claw

Andrew Tsao 05-10-2012 07:26 PM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
Jim:

These are very helpful observations, thank you.

Indeed, I am realizing that my recovery time needs to be more. I think perhaps I am trying to do too much, too soon.

At 85% Paleo, I also realize the other 15% is probably holding me back, as well as the issue of portion control. Cutting out sugar, carbs and dairy have made me ravenous, and this leads to large meals.

Finally, your take on inefficient movement is well founded. The other day there were OHS in the WOD, and I had to strip to a bare 45# bar to get through all the reps with correct form.

I'll keep at it and make some adjustments.

Deb Weber 05-11-2012 03:21 AM

Re: Over 50 Crossfitters Sign In
 
[QUOTE=Andrew Tsao;1059963]Jim:

These are very helpful observations, thank you.

Indeed, I am realizing that my recovery time needs to be more. I think perhaps I am trying to do too much, too soon.

At 85% Paleo, I also realize the other 15% is probably holding me back, as well as the issue of portion control. Cutting out sugar, carbs and dairy have made me ravenous, and this leads to large meals.

Finally, your take on inefficient movement is well founded. The other day there were OHS in the WOD, and I had to strip to a bare 45# bar to get through all the reps with correct form.

I'll keep at it and make some adjustments.[/QUOTE]
disagree about the 15%. Why would you cut out carbs? carbs fuel your workout. Can eat starch in moderation. The diet only makes a huge diff if you ate crap before. crossfit, eat, rest-time and patience. Youll get there.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:40 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.