CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Leon Robotham 11-06-2009 01:52 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;691695]3:00 break
front squats 5x5 at 155lbs. (thanks Loen for the tip)[/QUOTE]

No probs man, hope it works out well for you.

Beck Randelin 11-06-2009 04:47 AM

Hey Nic - wow - you've been having a great week! progress all over the place :) It's really cool to see those kinds of results with your obvious focus on top form...

Nik Nichols 11-06-2009 05:09 AM

[QUOTE=Beck Randelin;691932]Hey Nic - wow - you've been having a great week! progress all over the place :) It's really cool to see those kinds of results with your obvious focus on top form...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Beck, I try to keep form and intensity first in my workouts. There is a bit of a motly crue here on the logs that keeps each other in check and pushes each other to good form and fast times.
Me I'm on the lighter side and still trying to catch up in some strenth and skill areas. But we all have out strenths. Mine is pullups most of the time. My body weight plays a big factor in that.

Scott Jenkins 11-06-2009 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;691633]With a continuously running clock do one pull-up the first minute, two pull-ups the second minute, three pull-ups the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

Use as many sets each minute as needed

18rounds and 7 reps all C2B
Last time was 17rounds 12 pulls all C2B
time befor was 17round 14pulls but not C2B after round 14.

I tore the crap out of my hand again, right hand palm about the suze of a quarter. I have another blister on my left hand pinky just asking to pop. How do you do this workout and not tear your hands?

As I said all C2B Brady was checking form. Last round I was down to singles so I could keep C2B standard. Good workout.[/QUOTE]

Great PR Nik, your logs so busy I missed this. I was also down to singles at the end with a massive chest lunge.

That is a massive score for C2B!

Nik Nichols 11-06-2009 08:26 AM

Friday 091106
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
65 pound Power snatch, 12 reps
10 Push-ups

10 round snaches and 3 pushups.

I had a couple of obsticals today. Ripped palm and 3year old on a trike. And the fact that I started with 15 reps on the snaches, it has been a wile sense I have miss read a WOD, but such is life. Still got the desire metcon affect, I was breathless.

Oh My son Martin was deadlifting here and there wile I was working out, 8 lbs DB. He can do 15lbs, but I wasn't there to watch him so I set him up light. :)

Good day numbers arent everything everyday.

Scott Jenkins 11-06-2009 08:37 AM

Great job multi tasking there Nik and its about time you read a workout wrong. I remember when you really messed up and ended up doing about 5x as much as you was supposed to do. :D

Nik Nichols 11-06-2009 10:46 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;692042]Great job multi tasking there Nik and its about time you read a workout wrong. I remember when you really messed up and ended up doing about 5x as much as you was supposed to do. :D[/QUOTE]

Right, it has been a wile. I don't even want to remember those sumos I did that time.:rofl:

Laurie Smith 11-06-2009 05:03 PM

Lol! How cute is that. My son likes to do workouts with me too. He did the tire flip workout at my gym the other night with the big boys. He used the same tire I did for the tire flip workouts (about 75#'s....and he's only 11). Nice job Nic....even if it was your own twisted version of the workout. :D

Nik Nichols 11-06-2009 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;692345]Lol! How cute is that. My son likes to do workouts with me too. He did the tire flip workout at my gym the other night with the big boys. He used the same tire I did for the tire flip workouts (about 75#'s....and he's only 11). Nice job Nic....even if it was your own twisted version of the workout. :D[/QUOTE]

HAHA great that your son is messing arround with it too. What a good thing to get the kids into!!

Thanks on the workout, you will see me mangel more workouts. I have a habbit of miss reading them, it has just been a wile.

Nik Nichols 11-08-2009 08:25 PM

For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

Time 24:22

last time I did this it was at home no timer no PP, thrusters with 30lbs for wall ball. Last time was a mess.

I hate wall ball, I hit wallball at the 16 min mark, it took me 4 min to do wall ball. I wanted to quite there on the first set of 10, but you know that wasn't happening, I'll take a slow time then a quite. I took my time and focused through it. DU's were ok, plenty of singles but I got 11 in a row, and some other chunks. I was just tire with them at the end. Looking forward to the 5k tomarrow.

Scott Jenkins 11-09-2009 12:40 AM

Thats quick on the fifty Nik and your double unders sound like they have improved, 11 consecutive is a breakthrough.

Be nice to have a run today without having to steal all the equipment from around the gym. Might be a good day to get some close grip bench in as well :evilsmile

Leon Robotham 11-09-2009 01:54 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693063]For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

last time I did this it was at home no timer no PP, thrusters with 30lbs for wall ball. Last time was a mess.

I hate wall ball, I hit wallball at the 16 min mark, it took me 4 min to do wall ball. I wanted to quite there on the first set of 10, but you know that wasn't happening, I'll take a slow time then a quite. I took my time and focused through it. DU's were ok, plenty of singles but I got 11 in a row, and some other chunks. I was just tire with them at the end. Looking forward to the 5k tomarrow.[/QUOTE]

Argh dude, how can you look forward to a 5k??

Beck Randelin 11-09-2009 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693063]I wanted to quite there on the first set of 10, but you know that wasn't happening, I'll take a slow time then a quite.[/QUOTE]

Love the attitude! great job on the 50s...

Enjoy your run. I think they're downright relaxing after some of these WODs...
:run:

Marianne Urbanski 11-09-2009 05:43 AM

[quote=Nik Nichols;693063]For time:
50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

I hate wall ball, I hit wallball at the 16 min mark, it took me 4 min to do wall ball. I wanted to quite there on the first set of 10, but you know that wasn't happening, I'll take a slow time then a quite. I took my time and focused through it. DU's were ok, plenty of singles but I got 11 in a row, and some other chunks. I was just tire with them at the end. Looking forward to the 5k tomarrow.[/quote]

GREAT JOB on the FILTHY FIFTY, Nic!!! I hate wall ball too and doesn't it suck right at the end of this workout!? I wonder if my gym will do it. I never can get it done under 30 min, so it is a "weekend workout" for sure!
Hey, how can you "look forward" to a 5k?!! :kicking0:Good luck!

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;693118]Thats quick on the fifty Nik and your double unders sound like they have improved, 11 consecutive is a breakthrough.

Be nice to have a run today without having to steal all the equipment from around the gym. Might be a good day to get some close grip bench in as well :evilsmile[/QUOTE]
Thanks, on the DU's it is taking my time, not trying to go fast, just get them going at a slow steady pace. I was rushing the rope arround and missing every jump.

Yea we are fortunate to have our gym as it is, no real running arround and hording equipment. I think about you in your gym sometime, it must suck, but that is what it takes.

Oh close grip bench sound good, good call.
[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;693127]Argh dude, how can you look forward to a 5k??[/QUOTE]
%k is 24min if I'm good, so it really isnt much. 10 k is death.
[QUOTE=Beck Randelin;693164]Love the attitude! great job on the 50s...

Enjoy your run. I think they're downright relaxing after some of these WODs...
:run:[/QUOTE]
I hope so.
[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;693166]GREAT JOB on the FILTHY FIFTY, Nic!!! I hate wall ball too and doesn't it suck right at the end of this workout!? I wonder if my gym will do it. I never can get it done under 30 min, so it is a "weekend workout" for sure!
Hey, how can you "look forward" to a 5k?!! :kicking0:Good luck![/QUOTE]

You are right, I was thinking it shoud be first to get it out of the way, it being almost last is just diabolical.

Like I said, 5K is 24min, not do bad compared to the 24min of the 50 WOD.

Ernie Guevara 11-09-2009 08:18 AM

That's a great time on the fifty Nik! Actually right around my pr. I wasn't able to do yesterday cuz I sprang the entire day at an air show. The sun and all the walking wore me out. Hope I get to do it tonight but if not then tomorrow morning. Enjoy the run, Miami has great running weather today. Nice and cool breeze out today.

Laurie Smith 11-09-2009 12:15 PM

I hope my time is as good on the filthy. The jumps are going to wipe me out and the burpee's....well, they'll just suck. :D

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 12:21 PM

5k run
time 26:43

last time 26:24.

I was going good till about 1 k in, I got this massive cramp in my left calf, but kept going, then I guess my body favored that calf and my lower back on the right side started hurting pretty bad. I didn't stop running though, I didn't walk. But my time suffered from it.
My back is fine now, but my calf is really sore. i think it is just dehydration. I will roll my calf in a bit and drink loads and see how it goes.

Happy enough with the run though.

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=Laurie Smith;693339]I hope my time is as good on the filthy. The jumps are going to wipe me out and the burpee's....well, they'll just suck. :D[/QUOTE]

Right?!? burpees always suck.

Marianne Urbanski 11-09-2009 12:36 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;693343]5k run

I was going good till about 1 k in, I got this massive cramp in my left calf, but kept going, then I guess my body favored that calf and my lower back on the right side started hurting pretty bad. I didn't stop running though, I didn't walk. But my time suffered from it.
My back is fine now, but my calf is really sore. i think it is just dehydration. I will roll my calf in a bit and drink loads and see how it goes.

Happy enough with the run though.[/quote]

Great Job pushing through it today, Nik!! :kicking0:
Great time too!! (heck I'll take anything under 30 min for me! I SUCK at running!) :( I'm going to do an endurance cert next year for sure! I need all the help I can find!

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;693359]Great Job pushing through it today, Nik!! :kicking0:
Great time too!! (heck I'll take anything under 30 min for me! I SUCK at running!) :( I'm going to do an endurance cert next year for sure! I need all the help I can find![/QUOTE]

Thanks, and you are a shorty like me too. It is hard enough getting ok time as it is, we have to run so much faster then taller people!!:rofl:

Marianne Urbanski 11-09-2009 12:43 PM

[quote=Nik Nichols;693362]Thanks, and you are a shorty like me too. It is hard enough getting ok time as it is, we have to run so much faster then taller people!!:rofl:[/quote]
Yea, that is true. Sometimes I think I look like a little dog running with my legs going twice as fast as anyone else... you know what I'm talking about?

I also wanted to tell you that my son (17 next month) has started to crossfit. He really loves rugby, but he is using this to get him in shape for the season and recover from his collarbone break last spring. I have shown him your log so he can see what you do. You are about the same height/weight as he is! Thanks for being an inspiration to him even when you don't know it! :thanx:

I had been trying to get him to do crossfit for a while now and it wasn't until i got the movie "Every Second Counts" so he could see how fit Crossfitters are that he started to listen. Heck, what does "Mom" know anyway! At least your son listens to you still!! :rofl:

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Marianne Urbanski;693366]Yea, that is true. Sometimes I think I look like a little dog running with my legs going twice as fast as anyone else... you know what I'm talking about?

I also wanted to tell you that my son (17 next month) has started to crossfit. He really loves rugby, but he is using this to get him in shape for the season and recover from his collarbone break last spring. I have shown him your log so he can see what you do. You are about the same height/weight as he is! Thanks for being an inspiration to him even when you don't know it! :thanx:

I had been trying to get him to do crossfit for a while now and it wasn't until i got the movie "Every Second Counts" so he could see how fit Crossfitters are that he started to listen. Heck, what does "Mom" know anyway! At least your son listens to you still!! :rofl:[/QUOTE]

HAHA, I feel like that little dog too.

Well I'm glad I can help with your son. I hope my log can help. I never think of myself as an example. Tell him to post up if he has any questions, there are some great guys on my log that can chime in and get him going.

Scott Jenkins 11-09-2009 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693343]5k run

Happy enough with the run though.[/QUOTE]

Howdy Scrappy :rofl: ....were all getting nicknames now after your little dog statement.

Good to see you pushed on with some pain, those long runs can give you that kind of thing, my right hip and knee felt uncomfortable today but now feel good so I am sure you will be fine. Drinking loads of alcohol will definately numb the pain.

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;693378]Howdy Scrappy :rofl: ....were all getting nicknames now after your little dog statement.

Good to see you pushed on with some pain, those long runs can give you that kind of thing, my right hip and knee felt uncomfortable today but now feel good so I am sure you will be fine. Drinking loads of alcohol will definately numb the pain.[/QUOTE]

''Scrappy'' I'll take it I guess. I had a little dog like were are talking abot, little wire terrier mix. His name was ''toughy'', because when I got him he got hit by a car and crawled under a big barn , I couldn't get to him and we all though he died under there. A week later he comes limping out and I got him fixed up. Good dog.

Leon Robotham 11-09-2009 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693221]

%k is 24min if I'm good, so it really isnt much. 10 k is death.

.[/QUOTE]

Alright Scrappy ;)

Whenever I get a 5k pb (not very often because I don't run that much anymore) It ruins me, the last one I did with a guy who is a fast runner. He got me through in 19.18 and i think that's the last time I ran one, horrid!

Nik Nichols 11-09-2009 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;693469]Alright Scrappy ;)

Whenever I get a 5k pb (not very often because I don't run that much anymore) It ruins me, the last one I did with a guy who is a fast runner. He got me through in 19.18 and i think that's the last time I ran one, horrid![/QUOTE]

Shoot, 19:18 is smoking!! My calf is still sore, I'm limping from it. I have drank loads of water, took fish oil caps, ate a bananna, rubbed it out a few time. I wrecked it.

Like you say, sucks to be me.:rofl:

Fergus Lally 11-09-2009 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693343]5k run

Happy enough with the run though.[/QUOTE]

so basically 4k injured? sounds like your gonna destroy your 5k time when you do it next. Way to push through, well done.

ps you destroyed me on the filthy fifty - well done!

Leon Robotham 11-10-2009 01:53 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;693482]Shoot, 19:18 is smoking!! My calf is still sore, I'm limping from it. I have drank loads of water, took fish oil caps, ate a bananna, rubbed it out a few time. I wrecked it.

Like you say, sucks to be me.:rofl:[/QUOTE]

haha that it does mate. I'd like to be able to take fish oil but i'm affraid that if I do i'll spend most of my time bleeding. I'm prone to cutting myself shaving and I remember coach telling a story at my level 1 cert about him takin fish oil, cutting himself shaving and him not being able to stop the bleeding for ages.

Matthew Green 11-10-2009 02:44 AM

Just seen your CFT from last week, nice work Nik!!!! :highfive:

Leon, as long as you keep it below ~8g EDPA you should be fine for clotting. I was taking >10g when doing 2 benchmark WODs a day and still didn't bleed too bad. I have to fingerprick myself all the time as I work in a lab developing Diabetes tests so get I notice when I don't stop bleeding for half an hour lol

Fergus Lally 11-10-2009 03:20 AM

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;693656]haha that it does mate. I'd like to be able to take fish oil but i'm affraid that if I do i'll spend most of my time bleeding. I'm prone to cutting myself shaving and I remember coach telling a story at my level 1 cert about him takin fish oil, cutting himself shaving and him not being able to stop the bleeding for ages.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;693663]Just seen your CFT from last week, nice work Nik!!!! :highfive:

Leon, as long as you keep it below ~8g EDPA you should be fine for clotting. I was taking >10g when doing 2 benchmark WODs a day and still didn't bleed too bad. I have to fingerprick myself all the time as I work in a lab developing Diabetes tests so get I notice when I don't stop bleeding for half an hour lol[/QUOTE]

I've been taking 10g a day (at about 180lb weight) for about two months now with no adverse effects, in fact I think its been helping my recovery etc so I'm quickly becoming an advocate for the more the merrier.

Matthew Green 11-10-2009 03:51 AM

[QUOTE=Fergus Lally;693671]I've been taking 10g a day (at about 180lb weight) for about two months now with no adverse effects, in fact I think its been helping my recovery etc so I'm quickly becoming an advocate for the more the merrier.[/QUOTE]

Hi Fergus, is that 10g of EPA or fish oil? the concentration of EPA in different brands varies quite a lot, for example the stuff I get from myprotein is ~825mg per 5ml.

To not feel like i'm completely invading your log Leon, that video looked like it had some good moves for hip mobility even for those of us who don't fight. Like where he's dropping onto his legs. Might give that a go in my warmup, commuting for an hour to work and sitting at a desk all day means that i have to spend half an hour warming up before I feel even remotely flexible.

Matthew Green 11-10-2009 04:38 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;693676]

To not feel like i'm completely invading your log Leon,[/QUOTE]

Fail! slight bout of internet disorientation going on there :rofl:

Nik Nichols 11-10-2009 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=Fergus Lally;693505]so basically 4k injured? sounds like your gonna destroy your 5k time when you do it next. Way to push through, well done.

ps you destroyed me on the filthy fifty - well done![/QUOTE]

Yea, I was looking to really kill it yesterday, but oh well.

[QUOTE=Leon Robotham;693656]haha that it does mate. I'd like to be able to take fish oil but i'm affraid that if I do i'll spend most of my time bleeding. I'm prone to cutting myself shaving and I remember coach telling a story at my level 1 cert about him takin fish oil, cutting himself shaving and him not being able to stop the bleeding for ages.[/QUOTE]

I guess it is different for each person. If I take to much it makes my dizzy. i take a third of what it says to take. I did bleed a bit when i first started taking it, but not now.
With your fighting I don't think it would be good, you would be leaking all over the rong from a pop in the nose!

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;693663]Just seen your CFT from last week, nice work Nik!!!! :highfive:

Leon, as long as you keep it below ~8g EDPA you should be fine for clotting. I was taking >10g when doing 2 benchmark WODs a day and still didn't bleed too bad. I have to fingerprick myself all the time as I work in a lab developing Diabetes tests so get I notice when I don't stop bleeding for half an hour lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks on the total, I was real happy with it, deads mostly, I have been stuck there for a wile. %lbs is a huge improvement for me.

Nik Nichols 11-10-2009 09:17 AM

10:00 break, 3x5 135lbs squat cleans.

Nik Nichols 11-10-2009 12:21 PM

"Mary"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Handstand Push-ups
10 One legged squats, alternating to parallete
15 Pull-ups

9rounds HSPU's, pistols, 8pullups
Ripped my hand again. Pistols to parallete level, so it was a bit high, not to parellal. I had to put a finger to stablize on my left leg on some reps, right leg is solid and easy.

New pullup bar is hard to jump to. I stalled a few time on jumping up.

Oh last time I did this was to bench level, scaled HSPU's and chin ups to 12 rounds and change.

Beck Randelin 11-10-2009 12:41 PM

ok - I was impressed by "Mary" - and then even more impressed by the progress since the last time! WOW! :pepper::pepper::pepper:

Scott Jenkins 11-10-2009 01:11 PM

You thought about putting a bench under the pull up bar so you can grip it properly, just jumping up and catching the bar can give you less grippage I think, thats what I do anyways.

Nice score Nik, you must of got me on the pull ups as usual!!

Camille Lore 11-10-2009 02:06 PM

Just checking in-been running around a bit too much lately and not seeing how my favorite guy in TX is doing. Hope that calf gets better. I can't believe you do 3x5 cleans on a break. :notworth:

Nik Nichols 11-10-2009 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Beck Randelin;693940]ok - I was impressed by "Mary" - and then even more impressed by the progress since the last time! WOW! :pepper::pepper::pepper:[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I did it completely different, I wihs I had legit pistols, but I'm happy with it , it was tough, and a good break from ''Cindy''.
[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;693954]You thought about putting a bench under the pull up bar so you can grip it properly, just jumping up and catching the bar can give you less grippage I think, thats what I do anyways.

Nice score Nik, you must of got me on the pull ups as usual!![/QUOTE]
Yea, it was the first time useing the new bar, just messin arround I can jump up ok, it is high, but I can reach it. During the WOD when I got tired I was afraid of missing it. I had to really focus on the jump. I'm use to just grabbing the bar without thought of a jump. A bench or chair would due well. It is a learning prosses for what will work for me.

The pullups were different (of course) on the old bar it is bent and my hands go to the same place(wide) on the straight bar I had to find my place. Closer grip pullups are way harder. It was amasing how different a pullup is with moving my hands a few inches.
brady and I was on the bar at the same time, he said he was trying to keep pace with me and I was faster then him on the drop. So I guess i have a bit of speed.
[QUOTE=Camille Lore;693988]Just checking in-been running around a bit too much lately and not seeing how my favorite guy in TX is doing. Hope that calf gets better. I can't believe you do 3x5 cleans on a break. :notworth:[/QUOTE]

Eh I have missed oly lifting, I havn't done alot of extras and I really like the cleans. Don't look at what I did at 3:00

Oh my calf is doing better, just a bit sore, not bad at all. (stuped 5K)