CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping. (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=83704)

Timothy Mabe 08-21-2013 05:50 PM

Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Surprisingly enough several guys get gyno for having too much estrogen in their system as they age. Or is at some point the individual had a real high body fat and his body started to convert his testosterone to estrogen. This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode. Maybe that guy needs a BRO.

Rodney Sobelson 08-22-2013 06:27 AM

Re: How thorough is the crossfit games drug testing? Surely some athletes are doping

Agreed, but typically gyno is PED induced when estrogen levels get too high from conversion of the synthetic to estrogen. This guy was absolutely shredded. Clean or not, those guys were impressive.

Glenn Baggett 08-22-2013 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Rodney Sobelson;1188535]I was watching the men's games 40+ finals and one of the guys clearly had a case of gyno. I think we all know how one gets gyno, and I haven't heard anything in the press about an individual testing positive for any PEDs at the 2013 games. So, that being said, obviously the testing isn't very stringent. You don't get gyno from just a Paleo diet.[/QUOTE]

Ok, this takes the cake on not knowing about the subject we are discussing. The older guys such as myself start to develop it as we age and the normal production of test decreases and their is an unbalance of hormones. Also if he has ever been treated for high bp, prostate issue's, atrial fib, or many of a 100 different medical conditions, those meds can also cause gyno. looking at one side effect of a drug can also be related to many other medical conditions or meds that effect the hormonal balance. Yes, even being a diabetic or sensitive to sugars can cause this, how about someone who was over weight then lost weight, that body fat once in place is hard to remove. All of these have nothing to do with AAS use.

And for the guy who posted about getting steroids for post surgical recovery, I know of very few who have done this for athletes and most prescribe anti-inflammatory steroids(not the same). If you have a guy like this, be careful...

Rodney Sobelson 08-22-2013 11:52 AM

[QUOTE=Glenn Baggett;1188758]Ok, this takes the cake on not knowing about the subject we are discussing. The older guys such as myself start to develop it as we age and the normal production of test decreases and their is an unbalance of hormones. Also if he has ever been treated for high bp, prostate issue's, atrial fib, or many of a 100 different medical conditions, those meds can also cause gyno. looking at one side effect of a drug can also be related to many other medical conditions or meds that effect the hormonal balance. Yes, even being a diabetic or sensitive to sugars can cause this, how about someone who was over weight then lost weight, that body fat once in place is hard to remove. All of these have nothing to do with AAS use.

And for the guy who posted about getting steroids for post surgical recovery, I know of very few who have done this for athletes and most prescribe anti-inflammatory steroids(not the same). If you have a guy like this, be careful...[/QUOTE]
Dr. Glenn:

There is a difference between adding fat around the midsection and chest from the onset of aging. This was clearly hard nodules under the nips when the guy triumphantly raised his arms after winning a round, and its evident when the arms are raised overhead, but not when standing normally with arms at sides. You see it a lot in bodybuilding. Gyno is not just soft flab on the chest when its PED induced.

The subject was if the crossfit games drug testing is thorough. The reply I made seems pretty relevant. However, you go ahead and continue living in denial that PEDs can't be in the games, and that a huge, ripped 40something probably has BPH, diabetes, and sugar sensitivity causing the gyno.

Christopher Morris 10-30-2013 10:41 PM

Interesting. Relevant. WFS.
[url]http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24730151?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcworld[/url]

Steven Wingo 10-31-2013 04:35 AM

In some ways I hope CrossFit the sport does not become big enough to attract the sophisticated doping you see in cycling and other big money sports like football, baseball, etc. The bottom line is, if you have enough resources, the cheaters can stay ahead of the game and beat the tests. The bio passport system in cycling, the most stringent and sophisticated testing, is proof positive--the cyclists still beat the system. I would not be surprised if some pro athletes (cycling in particular) are even using gene therapy techniques already.

As many have pointed out, however, I just don't think there is enough money in CrossFit right now--through the prize money or endorsement deals--to prompt the sophisticated doping you see in some pro sports. Anyone doing it on their own in an unsophisticated manner would probably get caught. Maybe there are some folks out there who have the resources to seek out the designer drugs and work with those who make it their business to stay ahead of the tests. But my guess is there would not be many athletes who fall into that category.

Andrew Bell 10-31-2013 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Steven Wingo;1204249]I would not be surprised if some pro athletes (cycling in particular) are even using gene therapy techniques already.[/quote]

I believe they already do in Bodybuilding as well.

[QUOTE]As many have pointed out, however, I just don't think there is enough money in CrossFit right now--through the prize money or endorsement deals--to prompt the sophisticated doping you see in some pro sports. [/QUOTE]

There is also no testing off season. So if you know your first drug test isn't until regionals, that's PLENTY of time to get your strength and muscular endurance up with the PED's and cycle back off.

[QUOTE]Anyone doing it on their own in an unsophisticated manner would probably get caught.[/QUOTE]

Completely disagree, see above. Popping a few pills, and a shot a few times a week would be all it takes.

[QUOTE]Maybe there are some folks out there who have the resources to seek out the designer drugs and work with those who make it their business to stay ahead of the tests. But my guess is there would not be many athletes who fall into that category.[/QUOTE]

IMHO they don't need these just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were already in play.

[U][B]Bottom line[/B][/U], it's simply too cheap, too easy to get, and too easy to not get caught based on the fact that we KNOW when the tests will be. Until WADA does year round testing on our athletes I am unlikely to believe NO ONE in the Top 50 in the world does not use.

Lance Neumeyer 10-31-2013 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Christopher Morris;1204233]Interesting. Relevant. WFS.
[url]http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24730151?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcworld[/url][/QUOTE]

Very interesting - and now I'm curious to see if this changes how the big money sports (specifically NFL/MLB) deal with it.

Christopher Morris 11-01-2013 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=Andrew Bell;1204285]
There is also no testing off season. So if you know your first drug test isn't until regionals, that's PLENTY of time to get your strength and muscular endurance up with the PED's and cycle back off.

IMHO they don't need these just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were already in play.[/QUOTE]

This point has been discussed before, which is why I posted the link. No off-season testing (as reported in a previous video link by Dan Bailey), plus this research showing long-term (up to 10 years) effect are not a good combination for no doping.

Still, I am optimistic and naive. I'll continue to believe no one is using until proven otherwise. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be better testing systems in place.

Jesse Gray 11-04-2013 12:16 PM

The fact is, AAS and other PEDs are relatively cheap and with just a little bit of knowledge, quite easy to use without detection. There is no doubt about that. Additionally, CrossFit is nowhere close to being in the position for year round testing, WADA level testing, biological passports, etc. It just ain't gonna happen. What we can do and what I think we're already doing a decent job of in CrossFit is creating an anti-doping culture.
In sports that have the most issues with doping; cycling, weightlifting, track & field, etc. they have a long and until recently, generally accepted culture of PED use. Our best bet is to foster a strong anti-doping culture from the outset. Steer our young and upcoming stars down the right path. This is doable, we're coming of age at the right time and I am actually hopeful that CrossFit is, and will continue to be a relatively clean sport.