CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2017 Games thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=89437)

Ben Covington 08-03-2017 12:41 PM

Re: 2017 Games thread

Anyone able to figure out how to go back and watch the events/heats you missed? Haven't seen where you can do this like you could last year...

Not thrilled with CBS Sports and the 2 hours of coverage per day on TV or a single live stream on their website that isn't even covering all events.

Jon Campbell 08-03-2017 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Ben Covington;1269200]Anyone able to figure out how to go back and watch the events/heats you missed? Haven't seen where you can do this like you could last year...

Not thrilled with CBS Sports and the 2 hours of coverage per day on TV or a single live stream on their website that isn't even covering all events.[/QUOTE]

You can watch past events / heats on the Crossfit Games site.

Greg Morrison 08-03-2017 12:57 PM

It seems (almost) everyone has caught up to the elite Crossfit swimmers. Bridges will work his way back up when more Crossfit-ish movements come up.

Ben Covington 08-03-2017 12:58 PM

Apparently those elements are not loading on my browsers.

Greg Morrison 08-03-2017 01:21 PM

Camille Leblanc-Bazinet drops out due to injury on O course :(

Alex Burden 08-04-2017 01:16 AM

Anyone know why i can't see the events on CF.com site afterwards??

Are they only live.. i can only see:

[B]Unavailable

This video can't be embedded[/B]

Watch on Facebook!!!!!!!!!! i dont have facebook..

I am going to be really ****ed if i can't see this.

Matthew Williams 08-04-2017 03:25 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1269210]Anyone know why i can't see the events on CF.com site afterwards??

Are they only live.. i can only see:

[B]Unavailable

This video can't be embedded[/B]

Watch on Facebook!!!!!!!!!! i dont have facebook..

I am going to be really ****ed if i can't see this.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alex,

I was watching one of these this morning using Firefox as my browser. It's slow to load the embedded video at first, but does work. Could it just be a browser issue you're having?

Alex Burden 08-04-2017 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Williams;1269211]Hi Alex,

I was watching one of these this morning using Firefox as my browser. It's slow to load the embedded video at first, but does work. Could it just be a browser issue you're having?[/QUOTE]

loaded Chrome and it worked fine... :D

Jon Campbell 08-04-2017 09:04 AM

[QUOTE=Greg Morrison;1269204]Camille Leblanc-Bazinet drops out due to injury on O course :([/QUOTE]It was on the cyclecross. She feel and dislocated it.

Vic McQuaide 08-04-2017 09:18 AM

What about the 16 year old who snatched 291# wow..

Alex Burden 08-04-2017 09:19 AM

The rain is really dampening the atmosphere of the games. :(

There is nothing better than sunshine and some heat...

Maybe the weather will mess with the athletes and the results.

Vic McQuaide 08-04-2017 09:22 AM

Wonder what the crowd count vs. Carson..

Greg Morrison 08-04-2017 11:00 AM

I wonder how long their contract with Madison is for

Ben Leeper 08-05-2017 02:42 PM

It looks like Fraser is the only defending champion that has a near sure thing right now. Barring an implosion by Wasatch or any of the women above Katrin, it is looking doubtful for Mayhem and Katrin. But hey, 28-3.

Diana Alt 08-05-2017 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Morrison;1269224]I wonder how long their contract with Madison is for[/QUOTE]

It's for 3 years.

Alex Burden 08-06-2017 05:00 AM

Can Noah hold on to 2nd place???

Can Kara take it this year???

Ben Leeper 08-06-2017 06:34 AM

I definitely think Noah can. I think Fikowski will rock the Madison Triplet event. I'd love to see Scott on the podium.

Looking forward to the Madison Triplet, I don't see Toomey doing bad in that event. Not sure Kara can beat her by much if at all in that event.

Ben Leeper 08-06-2017 10:55 AM

So how did Wasatch lose the burpee litter to mayhem when a wasatch athlete crossed the finish line first and had all their members across the line first? Makes no sense. Did I see that wrong? Wasatch even looked confused.

Greg Morrison 08-06-2017 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1269239]Can Noah hold on to 2nd place???

Can Kara take it this year???[/QUOTE]

Wow!! What a finish!

Alex Burden 08-07-2017 05:39 AM

Shame for Noah... he burnt his chance on the 2223, that first round just blew him apart... such a shame. He should have kept his cool and he would have placed well.

2 points were in the game for Tia and Kara.... so we have a new Queen :D

Did the judge miss and adjustment make the difference for Kara?

Jayme Gruber 08-07-2017 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Ben Leeper;1269244]So how did Wasatch lose the burpee litter to mayhem when a wasatch athlete crossed the finish line first and had all their members across the line first? Makes no sense. Did I see that wrong? Wasatch even looked confused.[/QUOTE]
Only the captain has the ankle timer on him, Froning made sure he was across before their captain.

Still can't believe Noah crapped out so bad on that 2223 WOD

I wonder if Kara hadn't dropped the OH Lunge with one section to go and had gone unbroken, if she would've beaten Alethea Boon for 6th place instead of 7th and gotten enough points for 1st overall. Never give up...

Vic McQuaide 08-07-2017 09:22 AM

Crazy close on the women.. wow Matt F stomped it again. Glad to see someone beat Rich F team. Seems his team is stacked because peeps will move shop to set up the win at Mayhem.

Highlights- 17 year old 291 Snatch
Bob R 47 year old- Diane 2:17 with all of the transition time.
Shawn R- 4 peat
Dude who saved Will P from drowning and then ran back with him.. should have given the spirit of the games to him.
Matt F just being so dominating.

Low lights- Madison
Not seeing Scott J at the games for the 45+
Matt F demolishing the comp.
CLB injured

Greg Morrison 08-07-2017 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1269251]Shame for Noah... he burnt his chance on the 2223, that first round just blew him apart... such a shame. He should have kept his cool and he would have placed well.

2 points were in the game for Tia and Kara.... so we have a new Queen :D

Did the judge miss and adjustment make the difference for Kara?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how fair that .06 penalty for Kara only doing 72 reps was. How are they to know if she would have had to drop the bar on the next set of 3? At least it didn't affect the final outcome.

Scott Jenkins 08-07-2017 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1269259]Crazy close on the women.. wow Matt F stomped it again. Glad to see someone beat Rich F team. Seems his team is stacked because peeps will move shop to set up the win at Mayhem.

Highlights- 17 year old 291 Snatch
Bob R 47 year old- Diane 2:17 with all of the transition time.
Shawn R- 4 peat
Dude who saved Will P from drowning and then ran back with him.. should have given the spirit of the games to him.
Matt F just being so dominating.

Low lights- Madison
CLB injured[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the mention Vic, was gutted when I see Diane comp up, love that workout.

I think the true low light was JG just doing 9 reps of Diane and standing there. I'm guessing he knew he would come last even if he tried so same points on Diane. And this is the man that was 2nd in the world in the open on the 55s workout with deadlifts and hspu. I was really looking forward to seeing him fail on them.

Greg Morrison 08-07-2017 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1269259]Low lights- Madison
CLB injured[/QUOTE]

The Cyclocross event

Jon Campbell 08-07-2017 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1269263]Thanks for the mention Vic, was gutted when I see Diane comp up, love that workout.

I think the true low light was JG just doing 9 reps of Diane and standing there. I'm guessing he knew he would come last even if he tried so same points on Diane. And this is the man that was 2nd in the world in the open on the 55s workout with deadlifts and hspu. I was really looking forward to seeing him fail on them.[/QUOTE]

Who's JG?

Vic McQuaide 08-07-2017 02:47 PM

Yes JG did better than I thought. He is a strong dude. Will say he climbed that rope better than anyone in the masters. Just saying one good thing. Glad it was not a BG and JG show like always.

Ben Skutnik 08-08-2017 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Morrison;1269264]The Cyclocross event[/QUOTE]

Genuine question: what didn't you like about the event?

Victor J McQuaide 08-08-2017 12:47 PM

I thought that the cyclocross was interesting. Did see a over the handlebars total face plant in review. So for 1 person it was very hard and dangerous. Overall would have been cooler to add some obstacles that were more challenging and more on and off the bike stuff.. maybe WI has a park that has this all ready. I think that cycling is a good thing. But a Watt bike might do just as good of job on testing the circle fitness that the bike brings.

I liked the O- coarse better. I liked seeing how physical and balanced some of the peeps were.

Cyclecross gets a solid C in my book. O coarse solid B.

Greg Morrison 08-08-2017 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Ben Skutnik;1269279]Genuine question: what didn't you like about the event?[/QUOTE]

Kind of like what Victor said. Too flat, too few obstacles. The hardest thing about the course was the damp grass. I also don't care for events where an equipment failure can ruin your finish. Being able to fix a thrown chain is not a test of fitness.

Jon Campbell 08-08-2017 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Morrison;1269282]Kind of like what Victor said. Too flat, too few obstacles. The hardest thing about the course was the damp grass. [B]I also don't care for events where an equipment failure can ruin your finish. Being able to fix a thrown chain is not a test of fitness[/B].[/QUOTE]

This was my biggest gripe about it. Although it was pretty boring to watch.

Christopher Morris 08-08-2017 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=Alex Burden;1269251]Did the judge miss and adjustment make the difference for Kara?[/QUOTE]

I rewatched Kara's 2223 event. Here is my analysis:

Does Kara actually do 75 OHS?

She does 60 reps on camera. The head judge may have an uninterrupted view of Kara's OHS count. Our feed is not definitive on 72 or 75 reps. To all appearances, she progresses through each 3-rep box properly, and does not advance into the last box. It appears that she did not do 75 reps; she only did 72 reps.

The penalty was 6 seconds added to her time. The feed shows her finishing at the 10:52 mark on the workout clock. The leaderboard shows her time as 10:58 with the 6 second penalty applied. Finishing at 10:58 is good for 4th place or 84 points for that event. If she had really finished the workout at 10:52 she would have gotten 2nd place or 94 points, an additional 10 points.

Was this enough to win the Games? Yes. She would have been 8 points ahead of Tia-Clair Toomey after the last event instead of 2 points behind.

But let's go a little deeper. The penalty actually works in Kara's favor.
- Her first 10 OHS were at a speed of 1.4 seconds per rep.
- Next 10 OHS were at a speed of 1.6 seconds per rep.
- Then five reps at 2.2 seconds per rep. That was the end of round one.

- Round two OHS reps were done at 2.4 seconds per rep. She's slowing down ever so slightly (maybe... this average includes the time to move from one box to the next with her awesome snatch balance move).

- Round three OHS reps were done at 2.5 seconds per rep.

- Round four OHS reps were done at 2.3 seconds per rep. She's speeding up again, pushing to the end of the workout.

Average ALL of these speeds together, and her overall speed is 2.06 seconds per rep. So a penalty of 2.00 seconds per rep actually forgives 0.06 seconds per rep. For three reps, that is 0.18 seconds in her favor. If she had really done those last three reps, her time wouldn't have been 10:58.00, it would have been 10:58.18 (in theory).

This doesn't affect her standing, though, as 5th place came in at 11:04.

The only unknowns would be if this hassle messed with Kara's head game (maybe, but doubtful) and if saving three reps of fatigue on that workout may have given her a slight advantage on the lunges in the last workout (more doubtful for the level of conditioning these top athletes have).

My conclusion: the penalty was appropriate. It all worked out the way it should have.

Jon Campbell 08-09-2017 06:34 AM

So did her judge screw up and tell her she was done or did she screw up and quit early?

If she quit early and her judge knew why wouldn't the judge make her come back and finish the reps instead of just letting it go and giving the penalty?

Christopher Morris 08-09-2017 06:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It looks like her judge screwed up. She seems a little confused when she drops the bar and runs to the finish line. There was enough confusion in that moment that the moment passed without the judge calling her back to finish the reps.

Watch here: Event 12 at 1:31:06
[url]https://games.crossfit.com/[/url] (probably WFS but maybe Dave Castro)

Head judge immediately comes over. Kara's judge directs his attention to his clipboard to figure out if there was an error or not. He did not direct his attention to calling Kara back.

Also watch at 1:35:52. It looks like the judge yells "75!" rather than "72!" His mouth is stretching wide like a "five" rather than pucker like "two."

Here is a screen capture:
[ATTACH]14014[/ATTACH]
though you should really see the video to see that it looks like his count is off.

Kara drops the bar and looks at the judge as if she is unsure, while the judge is already looking at his stopwatch, ready to time the end of her workout.
[ATTACH]14015[/ATTACH]

The judge fully expected she had done 75 reps, and Kara is unsure. Definitely looks like the judge's mistake, not Kara's.

Jon Campbell 08-09-2017 07:01 AM

[QUOTE=Christopher Morris;1269290]It looks like her judge screwed up. She seems a little confused when she drops the bar and runs to the finish line. There was enough confusion in that moment that the moment passed without the judge calling her back to finish the reps.

Watch here: Event 12 at 1:31:06
[url]https://games.crossfit.com/[/url] (probably WFS but maybe Dave Castro)

Head judge immediately comes over. Kara's judge directs his attention to his clipboard to figure out if there was an error or not. He did not direct his attention to calling Kara back.

Also watch at 1:35:52. It looks like the judge yells "75!" rather than "72!" His mouth is stretching wide like a "five" rather than pucker like "two."

Here is a screen capture:
[ATTACH]14014[/ATTACH]
though you should really see the video to see that it looks like his count is off.

Kara drops the bar and looks at the judge as if she is unsure, while the judge is already looking at his stopwatch, ready to time the end of her workout.
[ATTACH]14015[/ATTACH]

The judge fully expected she had done 75 reps, and Kara is unsure. Definitely looks like the judge's mistake, not Kara's.[/QUOTE]
She definitely didn't do the 3. She started the last round at 60 reps and you can count just about all of her reps. Watching the video it was definitely the judges fault. I think he just got confused and either miscounted or thought the 72 box was the last round.

Greg Morrison 08-09-2017 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Christopher Morris;1269290]Kara drops the bar and looks at the judge as if she is unsure, while the judge is already looking at his stopwatch, ready to time the end of her workout.
[ATTACH]14015[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

This picture says it all to me. Judge counted wrong.

Christopher Morris 08-09-2017 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=Greg Morrison;1269299]This picture says it all to me. Judge counted wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yep. He was not expecting to count more reps. The other video angle shows him giving a little wave with his left hand / clipboard toward the finish line.

Vic McQuaide 08-10-2017 09:34 AM

This type of stuff happens. Its up to both the athlete and the judge to get it right. 3 reps and only 6 seconds was a gift. They could have a set penalty time say :30 seconds for minor infraction. Just so peeps know it not only the judges fault but the athletes fault as well. We have all benefited or not by judges. They are just human also.

Scott Jenkins 08-10-2017 10:53 AM

[QUOTE=Vic McQuaide;1269267]Yes JG did better than I thought. He is a strong dude. Will say he climbed that rope better than anyone in the masters. Just saying one good thing. Glad it was not a BG and JG show like always.[/QUOTE]

Of course he climbed the rope better, he was the only master that did not do Diane 2 minutes before. Expect better of you Vic.

Vic McQuaide 08-10-2017 03:57 PM

Well still he climbed the rope well. If you can't say something nice then... you know.. at least it was not a G show like it has been the last few years. Bill is legit but they are the most talked about peeps to never win. Wonder why he did not compete? I did not watch a ton of coverage but I did not hear him announce.