CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Explain why the WOD is enough (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=39518)

Rayna McGinnis 11-26-2008 07:02 AM

Re: Explain why the WOD is enough

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;455631]At this point this thread has turned into a discusion of what "fit" is. We have disagreement that won't change, and both sides can quote and give reasons for their side until we are blue in the face with no winner.

All the antecdotal evidence is good and I have a good story about my own progress on crossfit too, but the main purpose of the post wasn't to necessarily convert my g/f to crossfit but just for her to understand that the WOD is enough.

She did black box it for about 3 weeks and just didn't like it as it didn't seem to fall in line with her goals.

That being said I think crossfit is the best way to workout but it isn't the only way to fitness(crossfit's defintion).[/QUOTE]

Patrick- you are correct about this. Everyone's definition of fitness can be different. But the technical definition is someone who is well rounded in many different area's of sport/athletics/physical activity(whatever word you prefer to use). I think everyone was trying to make that point, in their own round about way.

The point is- in order to be fit, you can't just concentrate on one area (cardio in your gf's case). She doesn't need to do crossfit, but if she wants to improve on fitness ( and you've expressed that she does) then she needs to expand her horizons. Maybe add two day's of heavy lifting in and two day's of yoga or stretching. This would help with flexibility, balance and strength. Then not only would her cardio be good, but she'd have more lean muscle mass and better body awareness, etc.

Since she's already an avid runner, running is only going to get her so far, if she wants to improve, she'll need to adopt something new- even if it's only a day or two a week- crossfit or not crossfit, that's how it's going to happen.

If she disagree's, you can't convince her. Unfortunately, she'd only be fooling herself.

Andy Gann 11-26-2008 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;451926]Someone please link to or explain why the WOD is enough. My g/f does not believe it is enough to stay fit. I have tried to describe why it is enough to her with no luck.

Also at the crossfit gyms are people doing more than the WOD? If so what extra work is involved?[/QUOTE]

This is the Original Post. I have linked why the WOD is enough on the first page - (describes the condition of the definition of fitness as well as the difference between aerobic/anaerobic and the results of each) and I have explained how only the WOD, in my case, went far beyond 'staying fit'.

At the crossfit gym where I work out - we do 1) warm up 2) WOD 3) cool down (sometimes) - no extra work.

In Summary - Your GF will understand that the WOD is enough if she reads and understands (and even researches) the following:
[QUOTE]Aerobic training benefits cardiovascular function and decreases body fat all good.
Aerobic conditioning allows us to engage in low power extended efforts efficiently
(cardio/respiratory endurance and stamina). This is critical to many sports. Athletes
engaged in sports or training where a preponderance of the training load is spent in
aerobic efforts witness decreases in muscle mass, strength, speed, and power. It is
not uncommon to find marathoners with a vertical leap of only several inches! Furthermore,
aerobic activity has a pronounced tendency to decrease anaerobic capacity
This does not bode well for most athletes or those interested in elite fitness.

Anaerobic activity also benefits cardiovascular function and decreases body
fat! In fact, anaerobic exercise is superior to aerobic exercise for fat loss! (http:
//www.cbass.com/FATBURN.HTM) Anaerobic activity is, however, unique in its
capacity to dramatically improve power, speed, strength, and muscle mass. Anaerobic
conditioning allows us to exert tremendous forces over brief time intervals. One
aspect of anaerobic conditioning that bears great consideration is that anaerobic
conditioning will not adversely affect aerobic capacity. In fact, properly structured,
anaerobic activity can be used to develop a very high level of aerobic fitness without
the muscle wasting consistent with high volumes of aerobic exercise!![/QUOTE]

Patrick Skinner 11-26-2008 09:31 AM

Thanks Andy, I'll have her check that out.

Andy Gann 11-26-2008 09:40 AM

No problemo - it was quoted from the PDF article I had referenced on the first page.

Good luck - my wife still thinks I'm crazy. Despite the changes that she has seen in my body,she spends 30 min/4x a week on the elliptical like a hamster in a wheel at low intensity and sometimes will do weight machine work. I have, however, convinced her to squat occasionally, to depth, with a 'fitness bar' (around 20 lbs ...).

Anyways - I understand how difficult it is to try to convince somebody that you care about to join you in your adventure - just keep at it and let the results speak for themselves ...

Amy Larson 11-26-2008 05:33 PM

Patrick,

I was a lot like your wife. I ran several times per week and couldn't figure out why I didn't feel more fit. When I was in high school and played sports I was fairly strong, but now into my late 30s I was weak and flabby. In '04 I trained for a marathon and actually gained weight.

I discovered Crossfit about a year ago after reading about it on a message board sponsored by a company that sells exercise dvds. They actually have a pretty good program for people like me who had a hard time buying into weights, yoga, plymetrics and body weight exercises (scaling back on running is very difficult for some of us). It was interesting that a lot of the graduates of the program found and embraced Crossfit.

I started using Crossfit as my program of choice in September and don't see myself ever looking back. I've added the CFE workouts a couple times per week for my running fix and so I can plan an occasional 10K or 1/2 marathon. While Crossfit alone won't get you in shape for 13.2 miles, it really is an excellent fitness foundation and I've found I can do far fewer miles and still knock out the time trials and races without a problem. I can also do more pullups now after 2 months than after a year and a half on the pullup-heavy aforementioned dvd program.

Bill Bowerman is probably the most famous track coach of all time (at least here in Oregon :D). He drove his athletes nuts with his philosophy that you don't win races by running endless miles. You stress the body, let it recover, and improve. The athletes that followed his rules improved their times and the athelets that didn't want to do it his way ran somewhere else.

David Reed 11-26-2008 06:56 PM

Without giving a definition for "fit", I think the WOD PLUS warm-up is more than enough. If she doesn't think the volume is enough, have her do the full warm-up (instead of scaled like I still do) before the work-out. Obviously she won't be able to go at full intensity during the WOD but you're supposed to ease into Crossfit anyways. Doing skill work beforehand and handstand/planche progressions will also add volume, while working important skills.

Jared Ashley 11-26-2008 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=Patrick Skinner;454685]Jacob: This post actually started as an explain why the wod is enough. I'm not trying to push her in any direction, rather was just trying to convince her that crossfit is an excellent way to achieve GPP, and that people need not have 1 hr long workouts to see a benefit.

She does occasionally do a modified wod on the one's she enjoys. And I've just been trying to convince her that lifting weights and shorter, more intense runs work just as well if not better at acheiving some of her fitness goals. She also wants variance in her workouts and I've explained that nothing is more varied than xfit.[/QUOTE]

A thought:

Instead of using the main-page WOD, try some of the CFE WOD's. They cater to long-distance runners, but have the CF intensity. She might be more willing to push hard on a sprinting workout vs. a CF-style metcon. After a few of those, maybe she'll understand why the WOD is enough. If not, maybe she supplements CFE with LSD. No big deal there, right?

Adam Lauver 12-01-2008 07:51 PM

If you are doing the CrossFit warm up (3 times as stated) along with the WOD (and you are really pushing yourself) you should be pretty exhausted at the end of the WOD. I personally have never wanted to do any more lifting after the WOD.