CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pre-workout Supps. Do You All Use Them? (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35183)

Nick Shimondle 08-01-2008 11:43 AM

Re: Pre-workout Supps. Do You All Use Them?

[QUOTE=Thomas Bailly;364010]H2O is my pre and post workout supplement of choice:D

It is proven to do everything all the other supplements claim and it is absolutely free, tastes great, goes down great.
Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

I've read somewere that this dihydrogen monoxide stuff is polluting our wells and rivers around the world ;)

Derek Weaver 08-01-2008 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=Jordan Wilkins;364028]I've been hearing things about beta-alanine and i've been researching it but it's still not clear to me how it works. does anybody know what exactly it does or how well it works?[/QUOTE]

I believe the correct answer is: it doesn't.

Whenever something is peddaled very heavily by T-Nation (Biotest publication) I tune out.

Like Jay said, strongmen of the 1800's ate lots of beef, eggs, milk, real bread (not the crap that's in the store now).

More veggies, more meat, more fish and/or fish oil... get hyooooge.

Jay Cohen 08-01-2008 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=Derek Weaver;364498]I believe the correct answer is: it doesn't.

Whenever something is peddaled very heavily by T-Nation (Biotest publication) I tune out.

Like Jay said, strongmen of the 1800's ate lots of beef, eggs, milk, real bread (not the crap that's in the store now).

More veggies, more meat, more fish and/or fish oil... get hyooooge.[/QUOTE]

Derek;

You the man. If you lived closer, I'd give ya some tongue.

Jason Galvan 08-01-2008 07:56 PM

ANIMAL PRODUCTS ALL THE WAY!!

been using Animal for YEARS and will continue to use them for the simple fact that they work! Personal favorite is the M-Stak. Long story short, it makes sure the nutrients your eating (like a gallon o' milk a day) are being used for muscle and strength gains and not being ****ed away...literally. Also, Pump is great if your looking for a creatine supplement. They have been around for a long time for a good reason. Spend a lot of time on animalpak.com and do research. Plus, they have a forum too. Obviously its more for aspiring future Mr. Olympias but its still a wealth of knowledge from highly motivated people

hope this helps

Frederick Holt III 08-01-2008 09:12 PM

For those of you who don't believe in Supps...

I am of the mentality that 95% of what you take in needs to be in the form of real food.

[SIZE="6"]BUT[/SIZE]

Even Dr. Sears recommends supplements in the form of fish oils, omega 3...

Why?

Because it is incredibly hard to find these essential nutrients in the regular food that we eat.

I do not see a problem with supplementing a multivitamin, fish oil, or cycling a pro-hormone that is non-habit forming and is synthesized the correct way...

Why do I believe this?

For the same reason that is mentioned above. While all of these nutrients can be found in real food, it is much cheaper and easier to "supplement" these products.

If you don't agree with me that is completely okay, but I would ask that you show me a study that says taking a multivitamin (Animal Pak) and fish oil (Animal Omega) is harmful.

Zone Diet all the way...but when your body needs an essential ingredient, give your body what it needs

Kevin Mack 08-01-2008 09:24 PM

My favorite Animal Product is Top Sirloin. I've never taken a supp that had a noticeable impact on my body or my workouts besides caffeine. I didn't even feel like I was gaining water weight on creatine. Arginine just made my veins pop a little (and gave me a lot of NRBs if you know what those are, NWFS). Whey protein I guess is technically food, but wouldn't you rather eat meat or drink milk?

Frederick Holt III 08-01-2008 09:27 PM

Kevin,

Yes, without a doubt natural food is much better than supplementation. But we have to realistically look at convenience and price per serving in regards to exactly what you are getting.

Kevin Mack 08-01-2008 11:05 PM

I'm not addressing vitamins and fish/flaxseed oil. I was mostly speaking of the pre-workout supps aimed at would-be bodybuilders. Stuff made by companies like MuscleTech and BSN that use manipulated research to make outrageous claims. The phrase "pre-workout supp" implied (to me) that he was talking about the stuff that claims to super-charge your workout or some other such nonsense. Vitamins and fish oil aren't aimed at workouts, but general health. That's what I meant in my comment.

Frederick Holt III 08-01-2008 11:10 PM

Well taken Kevin.

I'm still not sure how I feel about people using "pre-workout supplements" But, I do know that if people have a good diet, there really isnt a need for most of the products out there.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that If I was to go back on NO-xplode (which I have long since stopped taking) my heart would explode during a CF workout.

Honestly, personally I do not feel the need for any pre-workout supps, I have tried most of them, and some were good, but I think CF gives you more of a pump than any of those products ever could.

Cheers

Derek Weaver 08-01-2008 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=Jay Cohen;364672]Derek;

You the man. If you lived closer, I'd give ya some tongue.[/QUOTE]

Allies across the CF nation my friend. Thanks again for those Kefir grains. Slowly integrating a bit more into the "dietary scheme".