CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Chest/Sternum Pain - From Bulgarian Dips, lingered for months (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=72001)

James Rhodes 12-10-2011 02:52 PM

Chest/Sternum Pain - From Bulgarian Dips, lingered for months

Nearly 4 months ago I went to do some bulgarian ring dips without warming up. After doing a couple, I remember feeling some pain and thinking 'stupid'. I figured it wasn't a big deal since I've done these dips many times before and I stopped as soon as I felt the pain/discomfort - which was in my sternum area.

I still haven't gotten rid of the pain. It comes on only in certain positions, usually when I sort of cave in my chest/look down. It will come on if I do a pushup, full dip but I can do kettlebell presses on the floor no problem.

so I backed off chest stuff altogether for a while as well as took a complete month off training. Now I return and have tried to do the following:

partial dips on bars (only go down 20 degrees)
mixed grip pullups
plank on rings
ab wheel
*swimming

Now none of these hurt at all when I do them. But maybe a day or so later, I'll go to do something and feel the pain - wtf??

Basically I know it's going to take time to heal but I want opinions on which exercises I can do safely for my chest in the meantime. I've lost a lot of muscle/definition in my chest and am paranoid about getting manboobs.

Steven Low 12-10-2011 03:24 PM

Re: Chest/Sternum Pain - From Bulgarian Dips, lingered for months

Copy/paste Likely,

costchondritis/tietze syndrome:

So you can give yourself costcondritis/tietze syndrome/etc. by aggravating your costal cartilages by doing this.

More or less, you'll want to be slowly working your way back into exercises. Anti-inflams/fish oil may help.

Don't do too much, and build up slowly. Those exercises can be fairly aggressive. I would suggest just regular support hold work on rings and pushups to start off, and then work back in slowly

Also, it's possible that a rib is stuck or subluxed and not moving correctly. If you think that's the case see a physical therapist

I covered this type of stuff in my book on bodyweight strength training, haha.

James Rhodes 12-13-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 1012735)
Don't do too much, and build up slowly. Those exercises can be fairly aggressive. I would suggest just regular support hold work on rings and pushups to start off, and then work back in slowly

Thanks. I found pushups aggravate it more than the before-mentioned exercises. As in: I feel pain at-the-time when doing pushups but when doing those others.

Anyhow, I'll stop the partial dips and go back to doing chins instead of mixed grip.

I also tried using a tennis ball on the chest area last night and discovered many sore trigger points so perhaps I'll get some joy if I persist with massaging those, I know that it's helped for all other injuries I've had.

Blair Robert Lowe 12-21-2011 06:30 AM

Dammit. I just posted to something similar to this a week or two ago, Steve. I included the 7 exhaustive threads we have over at GymnasticBodies to a different user.

I've dealt with this myself. In 2009.

Long story short, I could generally do dips on PB and pushups on parallettes but they hurt when I would attempt them on rings. Thus, I didn't do them on rings for a long time. I think I allowed it a month and a half and slowly worked straight arm support work and shrugs on PB and rings (starting with just a straight arm plank/prone/pushup hold on rings). I don't remember pulling work being affected by it.

Other people posting on this have noted that bench press didn't hurt when they were dealing with this. There are probably a dozen threads on this on this board, if not more.