CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Moving from cold and dry to hot and humid (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50189)

Alicia Michel 08-19-2009 04:34 AM

Moving from cold and dry to hot and humid

Does anyone have tips on acclimitisation from a cold and dry country (Melbourne, Australia) to a hot and humid country (Singapore)?

I have been in Singapore for a week and am feeling lethargic, am finding it more difficult to breathe, and recovery seems to be taking longer. Getting really frustrated :(

Rene Forestier 08-19-2009 06:09 AM

Re: Moving from cold and dry to hot and humid

I don't know if this will help, but...

When I deployed to Afghanistan, I went from a very cold/moderately humid land (Petawawa, Ontario in winter...minus 10-20 Celsius) to a very hot/dry land (Afghanistan...plus 40 Celsius). Acclimation took about 3 weeks...it felt like there was no oxygen in the air. Until then, workouts and pretty much everything was difficult. I concentrated on routine, hydration and sleep maximization, and everything eventually came around.

Good luck.

Tom Reyes 08-19-2009 07:04 AM

I agree. I live in South Florida where 90F and 90% humidity is the norm. Time to acclimate, lots of fluids, and ease into it. Scale back the WOD's for 2-3 weeks. Your lungs aren't used to the amount of humidity in the air you breathe. Your body is used to sweat evaporating and cooling you; you can't do either as efficiently in the high heat/humidity. Lot's of fluids, water or 1/2 strength diluted "gatoraide-ish" drinks post WOD. It's not uncommon for me to lose between 2-4lbs in a single WOD, or from 4-7lbs during a 5 mile run. Hydrate, hydrate hydrate. Of course, I'm a meathead, I usually go to my affiliate for the 4:15 class, when it's hottest.

John Harris 08-19-2009 02:45 PM

I'm in the Houston, TX area with a similar climate. Most folks take a long time to acclimate. I think exercising in the heat (with appropriate precautions) helps to speed things up.

Good luck!

Alicia Michel 08-20-2009 04:16 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll hang in there for 3 weeks with extra fluids and see how it goes.

Tom, you are insane WODding at 4.15pm! For the past week I've been passed out in bed at 4.15pm... so drowsy from the heat.

Jerry Mobbs 08-20-2009 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alicia Zhuang (Post 647127)
Does anyone have tips on acclimitisation from a cold and dry country (Melbourne, Australia) to a hot and humid country (Singapore)?

I have been in Singapore for a week and am feeling lethargic, am finding it more difficult to breathe, and recovery seems to be taking longer. Getting really frustrated :(

go and visit crossfit singapore ;-)

Rod Gates 08-20-2009 06:30 PM

When I lived in hot and humid Texas people told me that at first you sweat more than usual , but still lose lots of electrolytes in the sweat. Then your body adjusts and puts out a more dilute sweat to save the electrolytes. If you are mildly dehydrated from this, that could cause some of your symptoms. Just stay hydrated and like others say...give it time. It always got easier as summer wore on, but never felt quite as energetic as when I lived in the cooler northern states.