CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Using an incline bench for SS bench press... (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=37040)

Jonathan Slater 09-15-2008 08:35 AM

Using an incline bench for SS bench press...

Is this going to be closer to SS/more effective etc than using dips for the bench press? My assumption is yes, but then again I have made some ridiculous errors in the past.
I'm planning on doing an inclined (or declined, I suppose - which one's which? Meh.) bench press when my squat stands arrive and I actually have something to rest the bar on.
Thanks.

Jamie J. Skibicki 09-15-2008 08:51 AM

Re: Using an incline bench for SS bench press...

No to the decline (shorten range of motion, easier to hurt yourself and die). Why not flat bench?

Jonathan Slater 09-15-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 400422)
No to the decline (shorten range of motion, easier to hurt yourself and die). Why not flat bench?

Don't own one and have very little fundage.
My other option is to rest something sturdy under the lower end of the decline bench to make it more flat, but as this has potential safety issues I thought it best to check out the decline plan first. Always good to have a 'plan B.'

Dan Hardy 09-15-2008 09:03 AM

I'm confused. You have an incline bench? Or a decline bench?

My advice: Don't mess with the program. You can build use a box to bench on if you have to. Neither inclines nor declines are a sub for flat.

Jamie J. Skibicki 09-15-2008 09:12 AM

Options A-Y; do the program. Option Z; Inclines. DO NOT do declines. I think what he has is a decline bench, put if you lay the opposite way, it's an incline.

Jonathan Slater 09-15-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Hardy (Post 400433)
I'm confused. You have an incline bench? Or a decline bench?

My advice: Don't mess with the program. You can build use a box to bench on if you have to. Neither inclines nor declines are a sub for flat.

Apologies, I even confused myself there. I have one of these.

Jamie J. Skibicki 09-15-2008 09:17 AM

Jonathan,

I trust that you will be able to modfiy this safely into a flat bench and do the program. If you can't modify the bench for this end safely, might I suggest jogging.

George Noble 09-15-2008 09:27 AM

I've incline benched on one of those before. It kinda sucks in my opinion, but that might just be my general opinion of incline DB bench because I've never used a proper incline bench. I'd buy or make a flat bench, especially if I wanted to run Starting Strength.

Edit - I doubt it would be safe to prop up an end. If you want to modify it safely, break out your blowtorch.

Jonathan Slater 09-15-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki (Post 400446)
Jonathan,

I trust that you will be able to modfiy this safely into a flat bench and do the program. If you can't modify the bench for this end safely, might I suggest jogging.

If my brain were the size of a pea, then yes, jogging might seem an acceptable substitute. Luckily it is not, and it came up with the bright idea of asking all pertinent questions before starting on a particular course of action. Modifying the bench seems the best option, or failing that robbing a bank for a new one.
Thanks folks.

Bryan Gates 09-15-2008 02:22 PM

Maximum weight is 130kg. If I were to use that and (incline or otherwise) bench 95lbs, I would be exceeding its weight limit. Even if you were a reasonably light male, 135lbs or so, once you get up to 150lbs, not an unreasonable or outlandish number, its time to find another bench.