CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 12-04-2012 11:37 AM

Re: Nik

[QUOTE=Eric Shuty;1112167]Howdy. So I'll post my response to your message here in case others have issues with bench and are too shy to talk about it. The way you described our bench sounds good but I couldn't say for sure unless I saw it in person. I guess the most important thing I would say is to always remember that bench is a full body exercise just like most other multi-joint exercises. Remember leg drive, tight glutes, back arch, and tight upper back and traps. The best source I would recommend is to google " Dave Tate so you think you can bench?" It will bring up a multi-part video class from elitefts on benching. Enjoy!![/QUOTE]

Good timing. I'm glad you posted this here for that reason. I will try to get a video of my bench and we can work on it from there. I will look up the link thank you Eric. Off to go bench now.

Nik Nichols 12-04-2012 01:37 PM

12/04/12

standing press
45lbs x5
65lbs x3
95lbs x3
115lbs x3
130lbs x3
130lbs x3
135lbs(61k) x3

felt good, glad to hit the 3 at 135.

bench
45lbs x5
95lbs x5
95lbs x5
115lbs x3
135lbs x3
155lbs x3
175lbs x3
195lbs x3
215lbs(98k)x3
all easy really.

2 sets of 3 reps of turkish get ups
one set and 1 pood
one set at 1.5pood

Called away from lunch to load a truck.

Nik Nichols 12-04-2012 02:55 PM

3:00 break

squat clean
135lbs x1
155lbs x1x1
175lbs x1
195lbs(88k) x1x1x1x1x1x1x1xfx1x1x1(10reps total in 10:00min) not a metcon, I just had 10 mins left and wanted 10 reps.

Needed this. Rough day today. It was fun, mant I love cleans.

Scott Jenkins 12-05-2012 04:07 AM

That's a heavy day there Nik, bet your feeling it today, benching, oly lifting and plenty more. Loading trucks must be easy after all that.

Patrick Haskell 12-05-2012 04:56 AM

Yup. Some nice heavy work here, Nik. :highfive:

Funny how the heavy squats sometimes help with the low back. I'm guessing it's one of those things - you do it right, you activate the muscles that protect the back, and you feel better; you do it wrong and you flex the back, and things get worse.

Good stuff linked here by Luke last week. Stuart McGill is my go-to resource for back issues. His Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance is a great resource and worth the a full read. We can all talk about the exercises that have helped us or that build general back health, but gaining a general understanding of how things work and figuring out how that applies to you is invaluable.

Nik Nichols 12-05-2012 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;1112322]That's a heavy day there Nik, bet your feeling it today, benching, oly lifting and plenty more. Loading trucks must be easy after all that.[/QUOTE]

Yea the trucks are an annoyance during breaks. It is part of my job, but when I'm working out and on lunch, I get annoyed soem times.
[QUOTE=Patrick Haskell;1112329]Yup. Some nice heavy work here, Nik. :highfive:

Funny how the heavy squats sometimes help with the low back. I'm guessing it's one of those things - you do it right, you activate the muscles that protect the back, and you feel better; you do it wrong and you flex the back, and things get worse.

Good stuff linked here by Luke last week. Stuart McGill is my go-to resource for back issues. His Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance is a great resource and worth the a full read. We can all talk about the exercises that have helped us or that build general back health, but gaining a general understanding of how things work and figuring out how that applies to you is invaluable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Patrick, I feel the same on the squats. I don't know how it works, but I can be sore and achey and get through my daily and feel great after!

Luke is a great resourse of info forsure. I have not gotten through everything he linked but working on it. Knowing the back and how it works really is key for any action in life, as much as lifting.

I remember when I started lifting for my back problems. I finally got some form and learned to squat properly on movements and not apply it to every day stuff and pull my back doing simple things. Took a wile for me to put it together. :(

Nik Nichols 12-05-2012 08:05 AM

A.M. warm up

10 HSPUs
10 GHDs
10 back ext
10 ab mat situps
10 wide C2B dead hangs
10 squats
10 pushups

kicking drills
rolled my back 2:00min
rolled piriformus 2:00min a side
rolled hip flexers 2:00min a side

feeling a bit beat up today. Really sore from the last couple of day, but not injury sore, just fatigued. Rest day today. So alot of stretching and maybe sore light ring work. Feeling good, just a little tired.

Nik Nichols 12-05-2012 09:54 AM

10:00 break
stretch with knee and leg on table 2:00min a side
couch stretch with band 2:00min a side
ham stretch with band 2:00min a side

legs pretty sore. this was hard all arround, but good.

feeling better hen this morning.

Nik Nichols 12-05-2012 12:22 PM

12/05/12
rest day fun

10:00min on the min 3reps of muscle ups fasle grip kip.

good fun. I enjoyed that. I even though through the movements as I was doing it thinking about what was going on and where I could get better. I found tht I pull early out of the bottom swing.

So I would think to relax and wait and reps got alot easier as I went till the end where a little fatigure made them a little harder.

shoulder stretch with band on pull up bar and arm in a ''sliing'' 2:00min a side

bar in squat rack pressing into trap and raising my arm over head 1:00min a side.

Nik Nichols 12-05-2012 02:59 PM

3:00 break

rolled my glutes 2:00min a side
calf stretch 2:00min a side