CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Workout Logs (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Nik (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33554)

Nik Nichols 07-13-2009 01:23 PM

Re: Nik

3:00 break

Deadlift MU work.

deadlift
135x5
185x3
235x3
255x3
255x3
255x3

Scott Jenkins 07-14-2009 02:46 AM

No Thrusters yesterday Nik, been a lot of front squatting lately

Nik Nichols 07-14-2009 06:36 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;624054]No Thrusters yesterday Nik, been a lot of front squatting lately[/QUOTE]

Cool. I did a bunch of MU's yesterday. Every time I got a second I ran out and did one. I am starting to get callus on the ''heel'' of my hands. I still cant string them together, but I figure if I keep at them, and do as many as I can as often as I can I am bound to get better. I can't just do one every time I want. Some times I can't get one. I want to be able to always be able to do them. And string them together. I need to strenthen my false grip.

Nik Nichols 07-14-2009 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my little toughy free hang at 2years old.

Nik Nichols 07-14-2009 09:09 AM

10;00 break, messed with MU's my arms are SO sore now. I'm resting the rest of the day.

Scott Jenkins 07-14-2009 09:36 AM

You two have exactly the same eyes Nik, you have to put him on the rings next.

Give those MU's a rest as they can be tough on the shoulders and elbows in excess. Im still at work, watched that video about 10 times now so I am set to try it out very soon.

Camille Lore 07-14-2009 09:44 AM

WOW!!! That is impressive (your kid).

I remember when my pullups were at the same point as your muscle ups.. It will come!!

Nik Nichols 07-14-2009 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;624261]You two have exactly the same eyes Nik, you have to put him on the rings next.

Give those MU's a rest as they can be tough on the shoulders and elbows in excess. Im still at work, watched that video about 10 times now so I am set to try it out very soon.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Scott. I will have to get him on the rings.
[QUOTE=Camille Lore;624267]WOW!!! That is impressive (your kid).

I remember when my pullups were at the same point as your muscle ups.. It will come!![/QUOTE]

He can also dead lift a 15lbs dumbbell. He picks them up and brings them to me. ''Here you go da da.'' I think my favorite is watching him catch a chicken by the tail and reaching arround it with both hands and deadlift it to pick it up. He has perfect form!

Yea, the MU's are frustrating. Some days I can pump them out, some times I can't do a one. I'll rest.

Scott you are right. my elbows and shoulders are sore.

Scott Jenkins 07-15-2009 03:06 AM

Your shoulders should be fine today Nik, just got to hold the weight up in the air and let your legs do the work.

Great story about the chickens, has he tried grabbing them by the legs and doing Chickenbell Swings or some Cluck & Jerks

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;624782]Your shoulders should be fine today Nik, just got to hold the weight up in the air and let your legs do the work.

Great story about the chickens, has he tried grabbing them by the legs and doing Chickenbell Swings or some Cluck & Jerks[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHA, that is to funny, I laughed out loud at that. I will try to post a vid of it so you can get the full affect. It might take me a bit I have nexer posted a vid befor.

Scott, need your opinion/and anyone who wants to chime in. Todays WOD. Do I use a squat rack, or clean it from the ground? If I clean it I know if I want a break I will have to cleant it again I'm less likely to put it down. From the rack I just have to put it down. The clean method may use more time in getting it from ground to over head. I can't deside.

Ernie Guevara 07-15-2009 06:20 AM

well on the crossfit videos they have the bar on a rack. Which makes it a bit easier and you waste less energy. I on the other hand have no choice but to like power snatch it because i don't have a rack near the treadmills or at home when i do it on the streets. I guess having to clean it everytime you put it down gives you a bit more of a workout and build a bit more endurance because of the extra energy wasted. Which i don't mind because it means i would find it easier if i ever do it using a rack.

To answer your question you can do it either way, i personally think having to clean it makes it a bit harder.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 06:23 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;624853]well on the crossfit videos they have the bar on a rack. Which makes it a bit easier and you waste less energy. I on the other hand have no choice but to like power snatch it because i don't have a rack near the treadmills or at home when i do it on the streets. I guess having to clean it everytime you put it down gives you a bit more of a workout and build a bit more endurance because of the extra energy wasted. Which i don't mind because it means i would find it easier if i ever do it using a rack.

To answer your question you can do it either way, i personally think having to clean it makes it a bit harder.[/QUOTE]

zYea, I don't mind it being harder, It is mental for me. If I clean it or snach it. I don't want to have to do it again so I will push for all the reps. if I'm standing in a rack it is to easy to set it down and break .Then pick it back up again.

Scott Jenkins 07-15-2009 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;624848]HAHAHAHA, that is to funny, I laughed out loud at that. I will try to post a vid of it so you can get the full affect. It might take me a bit I have nexer posted a vid befor.

Scott, need your opinion/and anyone who wants to chime in. Todays WOD. Do I use a squat rack, or clean it from the ground? If I clean it I know if I want a break I will have to cleant it again I'm less likely to put it down. From the rack I just have to put it down. The clean method may use more time in getting it from ground to over head. I can't deside.[/QUOTE]

Its only 95lb so dont bother with the squat rack, I also got all reps unbroken last time I hit 'Nancy' so I will be just leaving a bar behind the treadmill, this way you are right , instead of re-cleaning it you just rest for a breath now and again with the bar overhead.

yes that video will be funny, the thought of a chicken getting caught by its tail then deadlifted is great.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 06:43 AM

double under practice, getting tripples pretty regular now.

front squats 2 sets 10 at 95 lbs
1 set OHS's 10 reps 95 lbs

5 ring dips 10 ring pullups.

Just getting ready for Nancy. My right thumb is sore for some reason, I had to work at it to get it comfortable over head. MU's maybe made it sore? :shrug:

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;624876]Its only 95lb so dont bother with the squat rack, I also got all reps unbroken last time I hit 'Nancy' so I will be just leaving a bar behind the treadmill, this way you are right , instead of re-cleaning it you just rest for a breath now and again with the bar overhead.

yes that video will be funny, the thought of a chicken getting caught by its tail then deadlifted is great.[/QUOTE]

You are right, I checked my log and got all reps unbroken, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 10:58 AM

"Nancy"

5 rounds for time of:
400 meter run
95 pound Overhead squat, 15 reps

warm up as usual 2 rounds 40 lbs bla,bla,bla.
time was 17:22
last time was 16 something
I don't know. My right wrist was/is sore, I had to do the OHS's close grip to work arround my wrise. twards the end of round 3 my right shoulder started hurting. I broke sets of 10 and 5. Cleaned the weight from the ground.

And there it is. Not excuses. If I'm sore Thursday, I may take a day or two off if I can not work out.

Matthew Green 07-15-2009 11:19 AM

Nice Nancy Nik, she's a tough old bird! I just stand there for what seems an age looking at the barbell, OH squats when you're knackered are just nasty!

It's always best to take a day off rather than work yourself into the ground.

Scott Jenkins 07-15-2009 01:02 PM

You got a foam roller handy Nik, whenever I feel battered and overtrained I get on that for 30 minutes, it really gets the lactic acid out of the muscles and shortens the time it takes for them to be ready for more action. Maybe you could do this during your breaks as you certainly should rest those shoulders from the muscle ups and dips for a few days.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;625231]You got a foam roller handy Nik, whenever I feel battered and overtrained I get on that for 30 minutes, it really gets the lactic acid out of the muscles and shortens the time it takes for them to be ready for more action. Maybe you could do this during your breaks as you certainly should rest those shoulders from the muscle ups and dips for a few days.[/QUOTE]

Not my day I'm afraid, but it happens, no big deal. I will get on the roller for a bit. I think the MU's from Monday took it's toll, I didn't log it, but monday every time I had a second I got on the rings for one MU, I have no Idea how many I did in the day. The rings are hung in our ware house, easy to get on any time. So I did alot.
It always take me longer to recover from them. Shoulder strenth is limiting my MU's. More SP when I'm not so sore. More streching on breaks then lifting.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;625125]Nice Nancy Nik, she's a tough old bird! I just stand there for what seems an age looking at the barbell, OH squats when you're knackered are just nasty!

It's always best to take a day off rather than work yourself into the ground.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, we will see how I am. A day off isn't a bad thing.

Nik Nichols 07-15-2009 01:17 PM

5 STC
10 shoulder dislocate.
''foam'' rolling for 5 min(PVC pipe) Sore to roll on, but worth it after.

Ernie Guevara 07-15-2009 05:04 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself nik, you found a way to finish the wod and that's a very good thing. Good job!

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 06:34 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;625349]Don't be too hard on yourself nik, you found a way to finish the wod and that's a very good thing. Good job![/QUOTE]

Na it is all good, I know I will have bad days, I'm fine with it. In moving my hands in to protect my wrise, i put stress on my shoulder. I figured it out last night. I'm just glad today is not a press. That would have been bad for me.

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 06:48 AM

So I wen back to strech, do some shoulder streches, ect, clean warm up, and got 5reps double unders in a row twice!! They are semi tuck, but I got them.

Scott Jenkins 07-16-2009 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;625697]So I wen back to strech, do some shoulder streches, ect, clean warm up, and got 5reps double unders in a row twice!! They are semi tuck, but I got them.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like how I do mine, jump really high and you can get them, wastes a lot of energy though. Well done Nik!!!! :highfive:

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 06:52 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;625700]Sounds like how I do mine, jump really high and you can get them, wastes a lot of energy though. Well done Nik!!!! :highfive:[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm just glad they are coming along slowly. I think I'm ready for the games now!!

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 08:16 AM

10:00 break, more stretching, messed arround with the false grip. pullups ect.

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 11:13 AM

Hang power clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
7.180f.f.f.f.f.f.f.
175 was my last max, atleast I met that.

225deadlift 100reps for time first 20 hookgrip last 80 inverted.
time 17:50. Ernie?

Matthew Green 07-16-2009 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;625914]

225deadlift 100reps [/QUOTE]

NICE!!! :highfive::highfive:

How's the back after that deadlift marathon?

I seem to remember that your HPC took a massive jump in weight last time you tried for a 1RM? I had the same problem where it didn't increase after that initial boost after working on technique.

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Matthew Green;625925]NICE!!! :highfive::highfive:

How's the back after that deadlift marathon?

I seem to remember that your HPC took a massive jump in weight last time you tried for a 1RM? I had the same problem where it didn't increase after that initial boost after working on technique.[/QUOTE]

Funny you would say that, after my classes, I was focusing on form. I really had a problerm getting all of it together. But happy with it over all. On the cleans I mean.

The deads were good. I really focused on form, got sets of 10 to 50 reps and grip broke me to sets of 5. Feeling fine. No back pain. I'm sure Ernie will kill my time though.

My traps are really tight though.

Jesse Emers 07-16-2009 11:56 AM

Sweet man. Thats alot of deadlifts. Did you get the idea from that deadlift challenge thread?

Ernie Guevara 07-16-2009 12:21 PM

Great job Nik, we had very similar days today! I maxed at 185lbs and failed at 190. But you crushed me on the 100 deadlifts with 225lbs. I finished in 21 minutes. My legs and back were fine the entire time but my left hand grip just sux!!! Thats the reason why i wanted to work on the deadlifts to begin with. I got 20 in a row when i started and then it was down to 5's,4's and 3's because of my left hand. Back feels a tad bit tight, and forearms like popeye lol. Great work man.

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=Jesse Emers;625953]Sweet man. Thats alot of deadlifts. Did you get the idea from that deadlift challenge thread?[/QUOTE]
No I got it from Scott and Ernie, they were talking about it , so i jumped on board. It was tough mentally more then i thought it would be.
[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;625971]Great job Nik, we had very similar days today! I maxed at 185lbs and failed at 190. But you crushed me on the 100 deadlifts with 225lbs. I finished in 21 minutes. My legs and back were fine the entire time but my left hand grip just sux!!! Thats the reason why i wanted to work on the deadlifts to begin with. I got 20 in a row when i started and then it was down to 5's,4's and 3's because of my left hand. Back feels a tad bit tight, and forearms like popeye lol. Great work man.[/QUOTE]

Back is good, traps are getting more sore. I didn't think I would ever get it done.

Nik Nichols 07-16-2009 01:59 PM

back stretching, back is good. 3 muscle ups just to see how my muscle upers are feeling. Front squats x10 85lbs, situps, bla bla bla. Good day!

Scott Jenkins 07-17-2009 04:08 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;625914]Hang power clean 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
7.180f.f.f.f.f.f.f.
175 was my last max, atleast I met that.

225deadlift 100reps for time first 20 hookgrip last 80 inverted.
time 17:50. Ernie?[/QUOTE]

You two madmen went for the 100 rep challenge then, good work Nik you won. I will have to look up this 300 rep deadlift challenge, see how hard it looks.

Nik Nichols 07-17-2009 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=Scott Jenkins;626395]You two madmen went for the 100 rep challenge then, good work Nik you won. I will have to look up this 300 rep deadlift challenge, see how hard it looks.[/QUOTE]

You are right calling us mad men, I should have never done this with a WOD the next day, it should have been done today with a rest day to follow. My arms, shoulders traps are sore. Really sore, it ended up killing my muscle ups today. But My back(lower) is fine, my legs are fine, a little sore, but not bad.

Nik Nichols 07-17-2009 08:17 AM

30 Muscle-ups for time

34:30
last time was 36min.

But I had to jump the last 5 reps. I didn't miss the first 11, missed one rep. Then started missing reps at 17, struggeled to 25, missed 7in a row, I ended up with attempts that looked like pullups. My for arms are wrecked, hurt really really bad at the last five. sheer stupedity kept me going even in jumping. Still really sore.

Scott Jenkins 07-17-2009 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=Nik Nichols;626563]You are right calling us mad men, I should have never done this with a WOD the next day, it should have been done today with a rest day to follow. My arms, shoulders traps are sore. Really sore, it ended up killing my muscle ups today. But My back(lower) is fine, my legs are fine, a little sore, but not bad.[/QUOTE]

Nothing negative there Nik, I read somewhere that if you wait until your muscle is fully recovered before hitting it again your progress will be very slow, nothing like giving the old muscle fibres a shock like hitting them when they are not ready.

My traps and hams are wrecked from all the KB work so tonights Hang Power Cleans will be fun too.

Ernie Guevara 07-17-2009 10:54 AM

Hey u still improved your time on the muscle ups Nik! My lower back and glutes are a tad bit sore but no big deal. My traps are a bit more sore than them. But my left forearm is done man lol, that's what it gets for being so weak! I'm gonna do the muscle ups in about an hour in the blazing Miami heat! Hoping to get a pr if my left forearm cooperates! The goal is to get in the 4 minute range!

Nik Nichols 07-17-2009 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=Ernie Guevara;626688]Hey u still improved your time on the muscle ups Nik! My lower back and glutes are a tad bit sore but no big deal. My traps are a bit more sore than them. But my left forearm is done man lol, that's what it gets for being so weak! I'm gonna do the muscle ups in about an hour in the blazing Miami heat! Hoping to get a pr if my left forearm cooperates! The goal is to get in the 4 minute range![/QUOTE]

Good luck, it suprises me that my upper body can be more sore then my lower on all the deads. Take your time, I was doing well, really well for me till about half way and my forearms went, they hurt so bad that I doubled over from it. I rubbed them back out for a bit to try another rep.
I had 5 reps done in aboyt 3 min, going strong, but died in the end.