CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Health and Medical Issues (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Stopped smoking!! (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27157)

Steve Bickles 02-06-2008 06:23 AM

Stopped smoking!!

Hi everyone, just wanted to share that i have stopped smoking, again!

I stopped last year for six months but went back to it due to stress. My health has declined in the last year so i have stopped again.
Not feeling too stressed yet even though i have a cold, using patches which make me itch but otherwise good.

Just dreading going back to work, i only get a break when i have a smoke so just gonna try and eat fruits, apple or something when i want one.

Anyone else smoked for years and stopped and stayed stopped?? how long did you smoke for and how did you get over it?
I think it should be banned personally but its taxable so that aint gonna happen.

Wish me luck!!:D

Sean Dunston 02-06-2008 07:11 AM

Re: Stopped smoking!!

Steve-

Good luck!

I smoked for about 15 years from age 14 to 29. For the last 10 years or so of it I smoked about 1.5 to 2 packs per day. Along the way I quit a few times, but ultimately quit in February of 2000 (wow - it has been 8 years already!).

You aren't going to like this - but I did it "cold turkey." I had bought some of the nico-gum stuff to help me quit: absolutely horrid! I think I chewed about 3 pieces of it, then threw the rest in the bin.

There were times at the beginning when it was tough - but it helped that I worked in an office and saw clients on a regular basis. Taking breaks to smoke just didn't work... but sometimes when I was driving in the car, it just felt like I wanted one to pass the time... that is the habit part of it - and one that you need to do something constructive instead. If you need something to occupy your hand during the day when you would otherwise have a smoke in it, buy something to strengthen your grip and go for 21-15-9 squeezes!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...JL._SS500_.jpg

Robert Olajos 02-06-2008 09:44 AM

Good for you!

I started in about 1993, sometimes a pack a day, sometimes just 2 or 3. I started quitting in 2002. I fell off the wagon a few times, and haven't had one since June '06. Now I know I'm quit for good.

I did it cold turkey, but if I had to quit again, I'd enlist my doctor to help.

Steve Bickles 02-06-2008 10:43 AM

cheers for your replies. I have got 2 sets of grippers, which im gonna put in my glove box now for traffic jams, dont know what im gonna do at work, just try to keep busy i suppose, cant take the grips in there though.
Will start coming off the patches soon, dont wanna start relying on them

Craig Brown 02-06-2008 12:23 PM

Come up with a strategy for when you want one, today. Set it in stone. Something along the lines of:

When I want a cigarette bad, I will do fifty pushups. If I still want one, I will do another fifty. I cannot cave in unless I do 10 sets of fifty in 30 minutes, each cigarette.

It'll work.

Craig

(who smoked for more than twenty years, hand rolled, non filtered...a lot)

Cal Jones 02-07-2008 03:40 AM

I stopped 11 years ago.

I used patches. I also used the 24 hour patches rather than the ones you take off at night. I know some people say you don't smoke while you sleep so why wear patches at night, but I didn't wake up gasping for a fag. You also get some pretty interesting dreams on patches. ;)

My first week of giving up was done on holiday in Florida. I was too busy enjoying the amusement parks to care much about not smoking. I did eat a tremendous amount though, and put on a fair bit of weight.

Back then I worked in the games industry and there were a lot of social events and most people seemed to smoke, so I would have cigars socially (and not inhale, obviously). This helped me a LOT. However, as smoking is banned in most public places these days, this should be less of an issue for you.

Having said that, I have a terrible gum habit now that I just can't shake. I chew around 40 pieces a day. Better than smoking, though.

Arber Borici 02-07-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Wish me luck!!
In addition to the helpful tips the others have provided above, download and read the "Forever Free" guides. They're really helpful...

Steve Bickles 02-07-2008 12:36 PM

cheers for all your replies.
Well its the 4th day now and im feeling good, still a bit rough from my cold but not craving as much as i thought.

Took my grippers in the car today, started to get bored so did about 5 sets of 10 on the way home.

Sean Dunston 02-07-2008 02:04 PM

Good job, Steve.

Keep it up!

And keep posting to tell us that it is going well. Post everyday - maybe that will be extra added motivation for you knowing that WE ARE WATCHING YOU
:cool:
and hoping that you succeed!

Steve Bickles 02-08-2008 03:04 PM

well today was the first day i really craved. Bit stressful at work and needed a break and normally i would go off for a smoke but i didnt. Just had an apple instead and made myself busy.
Still feel like sh*t from my cold and got stomach cramps today.

Otherwise good, working a long weekend so dreading it but i'll get through.
Cheers again for your comments