CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   is fruit mandatory on paleo? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=68935)

Troy Kenshin 07-22-2011 04:02 PM

is fruit mandatory on paleo?

hey all, quick question about eating paleo. what are all of your views on fruit? is it mandatory for good health.
reason being that i tend to eat massive amounts of carrots and other veg and often skip out on fruit all togeather.
is i keep this up will it have any negative effects on health/ mainly performance

Eric Montgomery 07-22-2011 04:06 PM

Re: is fruit mandatory on paleo?

The wider variety of stuff you eat, the better off you'll be. There are vitamins and antioxidants and trace nutrients available in fruits that you can't get anywhere else. Plus strawberries and blueberries and apples just plain taste good.

Also it's hard to get any significant carb intake off vegetables alone unless you're adding in stuff like sweet potatoes.

Tamara Cohen 07-22-2011 04:07 PM

Why don't you eat fruit?

Do you dislike fruit or is there another reason?

If you are concerned about the negative effects that your diet might have, eating "massive amounts of carrots" can turn your skin orange. I'm not sure if you would consider that a negative, but I would.

Steven Low 07-22-2011 04:57 PM

No, you don't NEED fruit.... but why not eat fruit?

Troy Kenshin 07-22-2011 05:27 PM

in response to tamara,i just dont really like fruit that much. i feel better on a diet of meats veg nuts and oils.
on a regular basis i may have an apple a few times a week but besides the occasional apple i just havent found a proper place for it in my diet i guess

Tamara Cohen 07-22-2011 05:34 PM

Well, I don't understand how people can't like fruit. I don't like papaya because there is nothing good about papaya. Other than that, I think fruit is awesome. Today, I had two bananas, a clementine, some pineapple, and some watermelon. All of the non-fruit people are from an alternate universe.

Craig Rogers 07-22-2011 07:01 PM

i eat at least a orange or grapefruit eery day, mostly because they are really good.
Love melons and blackberries also.

Veronica Carpenter 07-22-2011 07:20 PM

I limit my fruit simply because I don't want the extra calories from sugar. And, if I let my daughter have her way she'd fill up on fruit alone for her daily calories.

Chris Stroud 07-22-2011 09:00 PM

Depends on what your trying to do. If want to lose weight then cut the fruit. If your just maintaining weight and working on work capacity then a piece or two a day is fine.

Tamara Cohen 07-23-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Stroud (Post 964250)
Depends on what your trying to do. If want to lose weight then cut the fruit. If your just maintaining weight and working on work capacity then a piece or two a day is fine.

I want to lose 5 lbs, and I eat a lot of fruit. I previously lost 40 lbs eating a lot of fruit.

I don't understand why people feel the need to cut fruit for weight loss unless they have already cut processed sugar, processed foods, grains, dairy, and alcohol AND still aren't losing weight. If someone is trying to lean out in a crazy way and has decided to limit carbs to under 100 grams a day, then sure, you probably have to cut fruit in order to do that.

But, no one ever got fat from eating fruit.