CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880)

Phillip Garrison 11-14-2008 07:21 PM

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

they are just as realistic as the often used "In case I need to save someone from a burning building".

Casey Raiford 11-14-2008 07:26 PM

Sure they are, but soon as anyone cites a real life example of one of the hypothetical situations you're using, you'll just whip out another and tie it to a specific sport or training technique. Nice chatting, I'm done here.

PS: I have pulled someone out of a burning building.

Phillip Garrison 11-14-2008 07:28 PM

Good for you, and I mean that sincerely. I've pulled someone out of a burning car.

Donald Clarkson 11-14-2008 09:47 PM

Phillip, I once saved some toast from burning :pepper:

Lewis Dunn 11-14-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Clarkson (Post 447063)
Phillip, I once saved some toast from burning :pepper:

Yeah, but could you have done that before Crossfit?

Jamie J. Skibicki 11-14-2008 10:52 PM

What is a CFer doing with toast, so not Paleo

Shane Skowron 11-14-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 446998)
Ok every tour de france Lance Armstrong or Gregg Le Mond won, or every national record held by Steve Prefontaine. Show me endurance races won by people with low to moderate VO2 maxes, or anaerobic races won by athletes with low lactate thresholds. The metrics you claim prove nothing have been shown to predict athletic success far more than a Fran has.

Lance has one of the highest VO2 maxes ever. Why isn't he one of the world's best marathoners? Specificity of training, which VO2 max does not measure. Fran measures the most basic movements: push, pull, squat in rapid succession at an all-out speed. Proficiency in these movements is applicable to most human activities, whereas the VO2 max of a cyclist is not.

Quote:

Not doing well on a Fran can be likely due to inexperience doing it.

No, that's rubbish. A Fran consists of very simple movements, and it is essentially an 800m sprint. You wouldn't say a runner isn't good at the 800m because he is inexperienced at it, would you? No, it's simply because he's not fast enough. The argument may hold for a technical movement like the muscle-up, the snatch, or the double-under. Not a Fran.

Quote:

Unless you can show me a study or anecdotal evidence correlating Fran time to performance in an athletic event.

Those with a good Fran time tended to score near the top of the 2008 Crossfit Games. Fact.

Phillip Garrison 11-14-2008 11:46 PM

last I checked, crossfit was a fitness system, not a sport. Saying that doing WOD's make you really good at CF, as proof of it's superiority is like saying rowing is the best, because nothing else will get you as good at a rowing race as rowing training

Phillip Garrison 11-15-2008 12:05 AM

I once saved some vegetables from being slightly overcooked.

Shane Skowron 11-15-2008 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq (Post 447092)
last I checked, crossfit was a fitness system, not a sport. Saying that doing WOD's make you really good at CF, as proof of it's superiority is like saying rowing is the best, because nothing else will get you as good at a rowing race as rowing training

That's debatable, but I meant my comment in jest anyway.

My real point was that a lower Fran time is much more indicative of overall fitness than a measurement of VO2 max. Additionally, the VO2 max is dependent upon the weight of an athlete, whereas the Fran time is not. Fran is an absolute measurement.