CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Home-made paleo salad dressing ideas (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=43540)

Andrew Gray 03-02-2009 05:23 PM

Home-made paleo salad dressing ideas

I'm looking to start making my own salad dressing, seems like it shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure a bunch of you out there must have some good ideas, anyone care to share? I'm interested in all different varieties.

Thanks!

Frederic Giraud 03-02-2009 05:30 PM

Re: Home-made paleo salad dressing ideas

EVOO + a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

You can either add salt/pepper/any spice you would like into the mixture or on the salad prior to pouring the mixture.

I usually toss some salt, maybe a little bit of pepper, some "herbe de provences" spice on my salad, then pour some EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil) and a touch of balsamic vinegar. Mix it all. voila.

Depending on how much Paleo you want to be, you could then toss a bit of Parmesan on top of that and after mixing everything so that it doesnt soak all the oil/vinegar.

Delicious

Andrew Gray 03-02-2009 06:23 PM

That is certainly easy enough. I'm not against a little bit of dairy here and there also!

Harley Jennings 03-02-2009 10:12 PM

EVOO + Texas pete!!!!!

I use 1 part Texas pete for 2 parts EVOO. It makes a sort of tasty buffalo flavor that I use on salad with baked chicken breast. Good stuff.

Julie Parisien 03-03-2009 11:24 AM

You can get flavored balsamic vinegars that are so awesome..provided you don't have a yeast problem. 2 favorites- flavored with pineapple and fig. I just put a few tsp of olive oil and sprinkle the infused vinegar over the top and it is awesome. I used to make a really good dressing from olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, mustard (just a bit), honey to taste salt and pepper and a dab of cream - whirl it all up in a blender or a magic bullet. Its creamy awesome goodness, but not totally paleo. But if its gonna get you to eat 4 cups of awesome salad greens then go for it!

Steven Matheson 03-03-2009 11:35 AM

2 parts olive oil; 1 part red wine vinegar; 1 tsp dijon; s+p is my standard dressing.

Michael Leach 03-04-2009 06:09 AM

i use evoo + lemon/lime juice. i just shake it on top of whatever; im too lazy to mix it up seperately and dirty another container

Andrew Gray 03-04-2009 01:41 PM

I tried some EVOO and vinegar with some minced garlic, salt and pepper the other night and it came out pretty good. I did make way too much though, I need to find something to store this stuff in! Maybe I will finish off the store bought stuff and save the bottle. Thanks for all the ideas.

For those of you using mustard, are you just mixing in regular (as in out of a jar) mustard or is it some kind of mustard seed/spices/powder type thing?

Sue Chen 03-04-2009 04:28 PM

Mash up an avocado and thin it with either lemon or lime juice or some apple cider vinegar.

Greg Pieris 03-04-2009 04:44 PM

Greek salad dressing is paleo anyway.
2 parts olive oil
1 part lemon
dash of vinegar (optional)
salt, pepper, plenty of chopped fresh basil, oregano or my favourite, fresh mint.

Shake it in a jar. Easy.