CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Injuries (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need An MWOD Expert (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=87506)

Dwight Stone 07-30-2014 11:51 AM

Need An MWOD Expert

So I've been suffering from this recurring "golfer's" elbow. Right now I can't squat heavy- at all, really- without paying the price. I use a thumbless grip, blah blah blah, and other things bother it too. Throwing a baseball with any effort is out of the question.

I've been reading Supple Leopard, I've been checking out mobility WOD, but I have no :censored: idea what's even wrong. Or how to do half the stuff he talks about. Banded distractions and ... whatever.

First, maybe someone can help me figure out if this is a problem with shoulder external rotation, or inner, or..? I will tell you I can't rotate my left thumb out (palm up) more than about 45 degrees- I've been like this so long as I can remember, but it's getting worse. Chin-ups aren't really possible anymore. (Though my right elbow tends to hurt more and more often). I'll also say that with upper arms out scarecrow style, without pulling my shoulders way forward, I can't get much closer than maybe thirty degrees to having my fingers point straight down.

Anyway, someone who knows- where do I even start?

Dwight Stone 07-31-2014 12:53 PM

Re: Need An MWOD Expert

Anyone out there?

Alexander Granick 07-31-2014 01:11 PM

Have you tried using a VooDoo floss band?

Dwight Stone 07-31-2014 06:54 PM

No, but I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it. And I'm alone on this, so no partner to twerk me around.

Dwight Stone 07-31-2014 07:46 PM

Well, I just simulated the best I could with an ACE bandage the voodoo flossing around the elbow like KStarr did with that CEO guy everyone's probably seen on youtube. The test-retest has me at less ROM now. So...

EDIT
After a bit, it *might* have taken some of the pain off. But, if it doesn't get me any more mobility, I'm going to need more. Potential good start, though.

Alexander Granick 08-01-2014 07:32 AM

Get a floss band or a bike tube. Find someone to help you. I'm pretty sure you can find someone in Vegas.

Dwight Stone 08-01-2014 10:59 PM

what about diagnosing the root cause? is it internal rotation at the shoulders? something else?

and how do i fix this?

how do i know i'm actually fixing it?

where do i even start figuring out what i should do?

Sean Rockett 08-03-2014 08:51 AM

personal message me and I can give you a lead

Stanley Walter 08-03-2014 09:19 AM

If it is actually golfers elbow or tennis elbow, the voodoo band will help. I had instant relief the first time I used it, and was pain free within 2 weeks. Haven't had a problem since, nor do I have to use it again.