CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Fitness (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Training for Power without Olympic Lifts (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=44859)

Blair Robert Lowe 04-03-2009 03:18 AM

Re: Training for Power without Olympic Lifts

I think Roger Harrell introduced me to the Overhead Med ball throws. It's a bit like a snatch.

I used to have to sprint to it so it woudn't crash into the stereo. That would be bad.

Pedro Nabais 04-03-2009 03:37 AM

Ballet dancing!!!

Don't laugh people, ballet dancers don't use weights and have tremendous explosive power, just go watch some ballet on youtube and you'll get the point.

Ever since I went to a ballet show last month I've been thinking in how to include some ballet training in my skill practice, power and agility would sure improve greatly.

Sam Ser 04-03-2009 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=Pedro Nabais;557809]Ballet dancing!!!

Don't laugh people, ballet dancers don't use weights and have tremendous explosive power, just go watch some ballet on youtube and you'll get the point.

Ever since I went to a ballet show last month I've been thinking in how to include some ballet training in my skill practice, power and agility would sure improve greatly.[/QUOTE]

herschel walker -- undoubtedly an extraordinary athlete -- practiced ballet during his professional playing days. he also practiced martial arts. and did hundreds or even thousands of push-ups and sit-ups per day, at some point. word is he hadn't touched a weight until he got to the university of georgia, yet despite that he was one of the most gifted natural athletes college football had ever seen. there's a story about him lifting a car off an old lady or something like that. now he does mma, and he's still in awesome shape well into his 40s.

...come to think of it, a video of herschel walker and chuck carswell going head-to-head in a WOD would be A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

:lightbulb

make it happen, HQ!

Stephen Flamm 04-03-2009 07:33 AM

Never understood the slow-first-pull-not-translating-to-sport argument. Baseball, tennis, and golf all have slow, controlled motions setting up explosive bursts. Football, too, if you're a punter or kicker.

Gerhard Lavin 04-03-2009 07:39 AM

Ever since I went to a ballet show last month I've been thinking in how to include some ballet training in my skill practice, power and agility would sure improve greatly.[/QUOTE]

A lot of male ballet dancers lift weights as well. They need the upper body strength for lifts. funnily enough a lot of the lifts have a similar technique to the clean and jerk.

That said ballet training requires 1000's of hours of practice. My wife was a professional ballerina and her rehearsal schedule used to run to 40-60 hours per week. While a ballet class a week may help with power production it would in no way replace a weights program including oly lifting, squat jumps or plyometrics.

S.S. 04-03-2009 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=Stephen Flamm;557902]Never understood the slow-first-pull-not-translating-to-sport argument. Baseball, tennis, and golf all have slow, controlled motions setting up explosive bursts. Football, too, if you're a punter or kicker.[/QUOTE]

Hockey too - slap shot.

Phillip Garrison 04-03-2009 11:24 AM

Ballet dancers are very explosive

Robert Wolf 04-03-2009 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen Flamm;557902]Never understood the slow-first-pull-not-translating-to-sport argument. Baseball, tennis, and golf all have slow, controlled motions setting up explosive bursts. Football, too, if you're a punter or kicker.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Thai kicks, some punching cadences...some people just hate the OL's because they suck at coaching and doing them. That said, there are loads of ways to tinker this, folks have mentioned them. Complex training is fun/effective: Heavy dips, followed by plyo push-ups. You just need to cycle this stuff appropriately as you can overdo things of too much volume is in place.

Andrew H. Meador 04-03-2009 12:46 PM

I enjoy the olympic lifts. Sprinting is great too. Neither one can be replicated by other activities, but of course, there are plenty of movements which will test and develop power.

Jason R O'Dell 04-08-2009 05:42 PM

Dragging this back up from the second page.

My discussion about cleans, snatches, power cleans, etc. in the "Last Seen in the Globo" thread made me think.

I do not know how to do any of those lifts and have nobody to teach me. I know most people say "Grab SS" and I stick by my response that I don't learn well from a book. I need someone to show me. But, I don't trust anybody at my globo.

I can squat and DL just fine though. So this thread made me wonder, if I never ever learn to do any of those movements how successful will I be in improving strength, power and speed for my sport?

I know other stuff for developing those has been mentioned in this thread like KB swings (which i can do), dumbbell snatches (which i can do for some reason), sprinting, etc. So just sticking to those movements along with the squatting and DL'n and doing CF and CF Football, but swapping out the cleans and such how reasonably successful can I be in improving my explosive power, strength and speed for rugby?

Just kind of trying to put the whole thread together with this post. Don't bite my head off.

See I'm a completest in everything in life. It's one of my quirks. I keep thinking "Well if I don't ever learn those movements then I'll never get stronger, fitter, or more visually pleasing." lol. Obviously that's not true, but I keep feeling incomplete without doing them. So that's why I ask if not doing them will seriously kill me down the road as far as development of all aspects of my sport-related fitness goes.