CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Nutrition (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Zone and post workout nutrition... (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=7689)

Jay Edvardz 04-05-2004 05:12 AM

To those of you who follow the Zone; what do you do for post workout nutrition? Thanks.

-Jay

Ryan Shanks 04-05-2004 09:23 AM

I usually eat:

2 scoops whey protein, proving 40 grams protein
2 tsp. olive oil
500 mL cold water

400 gram can of mixed fruit salad
---
Sometimes I'll eat a large, non-zone meal. I think if your gonna have a cheat meal, post workout is the best time for it. Most days though, I have the shake/fruit combo.

Jay Edvardz 04-06-2004 09:23 AM

I was thinking that I might eat some boneless skinless chicken anda sweet potatoe post workout. We'll see what happens.

-Jay

Alexander Karatis 04-06-2004 11:35 AM

What do you consider a "cheat meal" Ryan, and if you don't mind my asking, why is the best "oppurtunity" to consume it, post-workout?

Paul Kayley 04-06-2004 02:55 PM

I would like to know if while during the post-workout period of increased muscle-cell insulin sensitivity, if any fats eaten with the raised insulin levels are more likely to be stored within the muscles as intramusclar triglycerides or as adipose. Anybody encountered any research?

Jay Edvardz 04-07-2004 05:05 AM

Paul,

Havent ran across any studies. However, that's a fascinating topic. If you ever find any info, please post!

-Jay

Robert Wolf 04-07-2004 08:53 AM

Paul-

I think John Berardi alluded to that in one of his articles. it is particularly enhanced by a generally higher fat diet.
Robb

Jason Lauer 04-07-2004 10:13 AM

Alexander,
I think Ryan was alluding to a meal that has a higer glycemic index and is also high in fat. I've read that ingested fat has a higher likelihood of being burnt for energy rather than stored as fat, as well as the higher glycemic carbohydrates would also be more than likely used to replace muscle glycogen than to be stored as fat. Your muscles postworkout are screaming for protein and glycogen. That's my take on it, I'm sure some of our more scientific members could correct or give a more in depth reason.

Robert Wolf 04-07-2004 11:48 AM

Jason-

What you are saying is true but I think there are certian thresholds here. IMO keeping insulin to a minimum is always a good idea.
Robb

Paul Kayley 04-07-2004 11:55 AM

It would make sense for the body to replace IMTs (Intramuscular Triglycerides) before storing dietary fat as adipose, making the fat more readily available for productive energy release. At moderate intensities IMTs are used more than adipose derived fats due to their easier/quicker availability.

As the intensity of exercise increases the prioritising of blood flow reduces circulation to the adipose tissues. This consequently reduces the rate of plasma FFA replenishment. Although this may only account for about a 20-30% reduction in plasma FFA replenishment, there is a correspondingly increased reliance upon relatively limited intramuscular triglycerides stores(2-3000Kcal – non-fat-adapted figure!). During exercise at 65% VO2max, intramuscular triglyceride has been found to account for approximately one-half of the total fat oxidation. This substrate supply deficiency is potentially exacerbated further by the need for carnitine as a shuttle to transport FFAs into the mitochondria (Both these deficiencies may possibly be mitigated by the use of MCTs). Research has found that the capacity of the muscles to oxidize FFA increases with endurance training, with no increase in the ability to mobilise FFA from adipose tissue into plasma. The release of FFA into blood plasma is the same for both the trained and untrained, controlled primarily by hormones (epinephrine, glucagon, growth hormone).

The ‘Fast-fat’ ~ Muscle Triglycerides

Training the body to use a maximal percentage of intramuscular triglycerides while conserving glycogen, in conjunction with maximising the size of muscle triglyceride stores, is the key to endurance. The exact origin of fat supply for use during exercise is not entirely understood. However, it is increasingly believed that muscle triglycerides may be the most important and predominant fat fuel source for exercise. Although it has been observed that intramuscular triglyceride oxidation has been calculated to be somewhat reduced during exercise intensities above 85% VO2max, these observations are preliminary, and more research is needed to fully elucidate the influence of exercise intensity, diet, and training status on intramuscular triglyceride oxidation. It may be possible for intramuscular triglycerides to be of primary dominance as a substrate supply, using glycogen for what it was intended – facilitating lipolysis, as well as more anaerobic type exercise. This is supported by research indicating that mobilization and oxidation of fatty acids derived from adipose tissue during moderate intensity exercise does not change much as a result of endurance training. It appears that intramuscular triglyceride is the primary source of the fat that is oxidized at a greater rate as an adaptation to endurance training and that it is the oxidation of this intramuscular fat that is associated with a reduction in muscle glycogen utilization and with improved endurance performance.

However, I still believe that fats and insulin-inducing-carbs should be seperated as much as possible. The body is unlikely to discriminate between storage sites when it is in a 'normalise-at-all-costs' mode... trying to restore a healthy blood status quo.