CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OHP not increasing (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=84703)

Lance Neumeyer 10-17-2013 12:34 PM

OHP not increasing

I'm doing Starting Strength, and all of my lifts are going up nicely except for OHP. It actually seems like it is going down, prior to SS I was doing 155 4x; today I only did 1 rep on my 2nd set of 150.

What would you recommend?

Sean Smith 10-17-2013 08:57 PM

Re: OHP not increasing

Accessory work. I've found the most improvement and correlation with strict handstand push ups. Ring dips, high rep push ups, and push press will also help your strict pressing. If you're getting stuck a few inches off your shoulders, it's a lack of tricep strength.

Eric Montgomery 10-19-2013 02:23 PM

Dips and close grip bench as assistance work.

Mike Jenkins 10-19-2013 05:58 PM

Try pressing variations on your press day, seated Z presses, floor presses, inclines and heavy triceps. To get stronger you have to do more then just that lift, same holds true for squats and deads too, variations and accessories will help a lot.

David Allen Rogers 10-20-2013 08:08 AM

If I am reading what you said correctly, you managed 5 reps at 150 for one set and then only 1 rep on the 2nd set? How long are you resting between sets? It is common to rest 5+ minutes between sets to get the reps when the weight is getting heavy. If you aren't resting 5+ minutes already, I'd suggest retrying 150 with longer rest periods.

What are you using as increments each session? 5+ lb increments eventually get to be too much to sustain so 2.5 lb increments can be used to milk the progression longer. If you aren't already using 2.5 lb increments, I'd suggest resetting a bit and working up from there with 2.5 lbs. If you don't have 1.25 lb plates, you can either buy them or use extra collars or washers. There are a bunch of past threads about this so do a search if this is an issue for you.

Brendan McNamar 10-20-2013 01:14 PM

If you haven't reset you can reset. Drop 10 to 15% on your work sets and start back up.

How long have you been on SS?

What else are you doing?

Press should stall first. If you can do 5 x 150 once then you are looking at a 1 RM around 175 or 180 which is starting to get close to your body weight. That is a strong press for a CrossFitter.

Soon you may need to switch to a different program depending on your goals.

Nik Nichols 10-21-2013 07:43 AM

Along with all this, press more then once a week. I added bench once a week to help my press along with daily HSPUs.

Mike Doehla 10-21-2013 08:04 AM

How many times have you failed. I believe the program calls for 3 consecutive fails, (days not sets) and then drop 10lbs and work back up. Also, are you micro loading weight or are you going up 5lbs each time? If you want cheap microplates go to Fastenal and look for the 2inch washers. You'll want to grab 4 of them because they weight almost exactly 2.5lbs total.

Lance Neumeyer 10-21-2013 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=Brendan McNamar;1202376]If you haven't reset you can reset. Drop 10 to 15% on your work sets and start back up.

How long have you been on SS?

What else are you doing?

Press should stall first. If you can do 5 x 150 once then you are looking at a 1 RM around 175 or 180 which is starting to get close to your body weight. That is a strong press for a CrossFitter.

Soon you may need to switch to a different program depending on your goals.[/QUOTE]

Started SS 4 weeks ago, in addition to the prescribed lifts (squat, DL, bench, OHP, FS, Clean, PU and Chin-ups) I'll do short met-cons 2-3 times per week that usually involve PU's, TTB, KB swings, burpees, etc.

Lance Neumeyer 10-21-2013 12:56 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll add in some tri. assistance work.