CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (https://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Competitions (https://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread (https://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=88244)

Jon Campbell 05-29-2015 06:53 PM

Re: 2015 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

[QUOTE=Diana Alt;1253177]I think that they accomplished EXACTLY what they wanted with the design of this event. They wanted to force weakness in the women to be exploited and this event as designed works perfectly for that.

My day was pretty good. I'm enjoying judging a lot. Unfortunately one of the girls from my gyms teamgit very overheated during the first event with disastrous results - they came in dead last. They followed it up with a 4th place finish in event 2, though. Tomorrow is another day![/QUOTE]

I think what he is saying through is the men are render basically unless in this event. You could have the women only go and the result is the exact same. None if the women had to wait for the men to finish a movement did they? At least I didn't see any that did. So basically the men did their thing, got out of the way, and it was completely on the women.

Helen M Brennan 05-29-2015 07:40 PM

well the pacofic regionals have co9mee and gone. I have embarrassed myself while watching CrossFit Rocks Team competing in event 7 by yelling so loudly that my neighbours phobed to ask if I was OK..( I live on 50 acres :o )

The thrill of watching the team from my box qualify 3rd in the region was incredible. They are a champion team.

To say I am proud of them would be a gross understatement.

H

Snir Golan 05-30-2015 08:24 AM

Man, Rich is not happy. Gotta be so frustrating to have 1 athlete struggling and holding the team back like that.

Shawn M Wilson 05-30-2015 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Snir Golan;1253188]Man, Rich is not happy. Gotta be so frustrating to have 1 athlete struggling and holding the team back like that.[/QUOTE]

That is the joy of a team event. Weakest link holds you back.

Snir Golan 05-30-2015 02:24 PM

Julie is probably out with a tear to the Achilles. can we please stop with the BJ rebound now and switch to step downs only?

Helen M Brennan 05-30-2015 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=Snir Golan;1253188]Man, Rich is not happy. Gotta be so frustrating to have 1 athlete struggling and holding the team back like that.[/QUOTE]

as others have said that is part of team work... the art of teamwork is to have a members who can complement each others strengths and weaknesses and to also have the ability to be a champion Team as opposed to a team of champions.

h

Mark Ritchie 05-30-2015 06:07 PM

[QUOTE=Snir Golan;1253192]Julie is probably out with a tear to the Achilles. can we please stop with the BJ rebound now and switch to step downs only?[/QUOTE]

That would explain the low finish.

We don't allow rebounding at our box -- even in competitions. Too high of a risk -- and if you time it, as we did during the Open, step up/step down can be faster, and if you want to test jumping, step down is fine. Just have everyone at the same standard...

But I doubt they will change it for Regionals/Games -- but it IS progress they allowed it during the Open.

Edited to add: I just watched the commentary, and "freak accident" is not what happened. This happens a lot -- so it is a predictable injury, not a freak accident.

Snir Golan 05-30-2015 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=Mark Ritchie;1253199]That would explain the low finish.

We don't allow rebounding at our box -- even in competitions. Too high of a risk -- and if you time it, as we did during the Open, step up/step down can be faster, and if you want to test jumping, step down is fine. Just have everyone at the same standard...

But I doubt they will change it for Regionals/Games -- but it IS progress they allowed it during the Open.

Edited to add: I just watched the commentary, and "freak accident" is not what happened. This happens a lot -- so it is a predictable injury, not a freak accident.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I really didn't like how they called it freak accident. This injury happened before more than once and it is a well documented risk with rebounding box jumps.

Christopher Morris 05-30-2015 07:31 PM

It looks like it was Julie's right achilles was the one that was injured. This is the ankle she was wearing the timing strap on. If she wore it tight, I wonder if impingement could be a factor in the injury?

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKxoz6l3uFg&t=150m45s[/url] (wfs)

Unbelievable. She still did the handstand walk and got 4th place in her heat, wearing an orthopedic boot.

Christopher Morris 05-30-2015 09:37 PM

After the 2014 Games season wrapped up, I made a prediction for the 2015 Games podium:

[quote]
The women's individual results seem more unpredictable than the men's. This is the podium I'd like to see next year:

1 - Julie Foucher
2 - Valerie Voboril
3 - Kara Webb[/quote]

My bracket is shot, so to speak. I made that prediction in August 2014. Val Voboril didn't qualify for the Games at her Regional, and Julie Foucher is out now, sadly.

CrossFit the competitive sport has developed beyond ever having a "dream team" competition of all the best athletes in one place at one time. Someone is out for an injury, or didn't qualify, etc.