CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Exercises (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Burpees? Push up or belly on ground? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76675)

Chantell Bertollini 07-16-2012 10:20 PM

Burpees? Push up or belly on ground?

While watching the games this weekend I noticed that when they do their burpees they don't do a push up but rather go all the way down to belly on the ground..We do them with the push up at the gym I go to but I'm wondering if that's just for speed or if it's more challenging also..I tried a few and they were definitely faster but I also could hear grinding in my shoulders when I would drop all the way to the ground. Any tips?

Eric Montgomery 07-16-2012 10:54 PM

Re: Burpees? Push up or belly on ground?

All you have to do for a burpee is hit the ground and get back up, but you can do them strict-style with a pushup in the middle of it. It's just a different movement that will require a little more body control and will build pushup strength as opposed to simply being a conditioning tool...neither one is inherently better than the other, just different.

Graeme Moore 07-17-2012 09:31 AM

Eric's right, it's personal choice, but for me it's kind of like kipping pull ups. For me, a burpee is a push up followed by a squat jump. I don't kip either though.

Sarah Isel 07-17-2012 10:27 AM

The belly flop version feels like cheating to me so I do strict burpees (push up, squat jump.) Then again, I have no interest in competing. If I did, I'd belly flop for sure.

I have no idea what the grinding might be. Since you only get it when you do the belly flop style, I recommend sticking to the strict version unless you plan on competing in the future.

If you decide to switch between both versions, just make sure you indicate which one you use in your log. That way you can accurately compare your time/score to others and to yourself if you ever do that WOD again.

Katherine Derbyshire 07-17-2012 10:35 AM

Burpees are a conditioning exercise. The whole point is to do them fast.

Katherine

Matt A. Windsor 07-17-2012 11:09 AM

@ our box, they scale according to the CFer's abilities. For instance, right now, having just had surgery on my left shoulder for decompression, dropping to the push-up position of the burpee movement without hitting the ground 'shocks' my shoulder and causes more discomfort; so for now, I drop to that position and then lower myself to the ground, and then push up again and complete the normal movement.

David Allen Rogers 07-17-2012 02:06 PM

I don't understand the point of burpees with strict push-ups. The point of a burpee is conditioning by moving your body weight down and up as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense to limit that with a push-up in between. If you want to train push-ups, then do push-ups. If you want to do conditioning, do burpees and get down and up as fast as you possibly can.

Jonathan Renner 07-17-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Allen Rogers (Post 1078228)
I don't understand the point of burpees with strict push-ups. The point of a burpee is conditioning by moving your body weight down and up as fast as possible. It doesn't make sense to limit that with a push-up in between. If you want to train push-ups, then do push-ups. If you want to do conditioning, do burpees and get down and up as fast as you possibly can.

Well by doing the pushup in between, that's working both conditioning and strength.

I mean, this very sport of Crossfit is a mixture as well. What's the point of Crossfit when you could become a master of one area, either taking up marathon running or power lifting? To become a more well rounded athlete, right?

Some people just want to get the benefit of both, by doing the pushup in between.

Personally, I do burpees the same as you, by doing them quickly, but there's nothing wrong with either way.

Jason Peacock 07-17-2012 04:06 PM

To be pedantic, a burpee includes the pushup. A squat-thrust has no pushup, but also doesn't require chest/belly/thighs on the ground.

I don't know what to call the CF thing, other than a competition burpee or a floppy mess ;)

Yeah, you're lots faster if you skip the pushup part, and most ppl will fail the pushups due to fatigue after 20-30 reps anyway. But skipping the pushup is like skipping the jerk of a clean & jerk - it's a whole different movement (and is significantly easier).

IMO, you either do them right, or don't do them at all. Of course, if you want to be a competitor, then "right" means no-pushup CF style....

Andrew N. Casey 07-17-2012 06:33 PM

directly from CF.com FAQ

2.9. How do I burpee?
Also known as "squat-thrusts" from your high-school PT days. The "official" burpee for CrossFit is explained in the standards video from the '08 Games. Here's a description of the burpee:

To perform a burpee with a pushup, you will begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you (1). Kick your feet back, while simultaneously lowering yourself into the bottom portion of a pushup. Your arms will not be extended. (2). Immediately return your feet to the squat position, while simultaneously pushing "up" with your arms. You will perform a pushup as you return your feet to the squat position (3). Leap up as high as possible from the squat position (4). Repeat, moving as fast as possible.
Also, here are a couple of other articles on the burpee:
http://www.geocities.com/rutgerseskrima/art_prison.html
http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/17/maxwell2.html