CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=38880)

Wade Smith 11-15-2008 08:59 AM

Re: T-Nation, Shugart and the Truth About CrossFit

Robb Wolf's summary (and critique) is excellent. Very thorough and thoughtful.

One Poliquin thought that I've been more deeply pondering though is:

"I was concerned about the lack of testing for structural balance issues with trainees. ... I recommend a series of structural balance tests to red-flag muscle imbalances that could increase the athlete’s risk of injury. And if there is a history of injuries with an athlete, those should be addressed in any workout design."

Do CF affiliates & trainers do an adequate job with this? Or is there more of a one-size-fits-all approach? I'm curious. I read the posts in the INJURY forum threads and I wonder.

John C. Brown 11-15-2008 09:26 AM

Phillip,

Your response to Tony B's question of ranking isn't sufficient. He asked for a thorough ranking of finishes from top to bottom related to Vo2, not just the top finishers. Re-read his post and then go through the results of your beloved Tour de France and see if 1-250 in VO2 max correlate to 1-250 in finishing order and I will bet that it won't.

Besides, it doesn't matter, I have never seen a group of firefighters showing up to a burning building of road bikes with those crazy looking aerodynamic helmets on. I have also never seen(or heard of) any body run 26.2 to save their own life.

Training for strongman comps is not directly correlative to the family in the airport. Those guys are racing each other (all 450 pounds of each other) and not a plane, or an itty bitty guy like me. Could Gabrielese carry more sand bags than me in a flood? Doubt it, not in length or number of bags. Could Magnus Magnusson (sp?) probably not in duration. How often am I going to have to lift a smooth rock weighing 300 pounds up to a pedestal to save my life? Not often (even if I did have to, it would only be once, because I would fail and die), but how often in training did I have to carry a 250 pound dude on a sprint in the woods, just in case he got shot in a real conflict? Often, which would have helped more... I am going with CrossFit here

Donald Lee 11-15-2008 12:05 PM

I believe many strongman competitors have a high level of work capacity coupled with high levels of strength.

John C. Brown 11-15-2008 12:44 PM

and I believe that French Fries may some day rule the world...

Donald Lee 11-15-2008 02:00 PM

And I believe we have never gone to war with a nation with French Fries.

Joey Powell 11-15-2008 02:01 PM

I believe this whole discussion needs to be turned on its head. The fact is, that CrossFit type training toughens the MIND. CrossFit.com and CrossFit Inc. (ie. the Glassman's) have struck a nerve.

SOF knows it. USMC knows it. UFC knows it. Cosgrove knows it. T-Nation knows it. Poliquine(?) knows it. Boyle knows it. Twight knows it.

The detractors are searching for one thing... to find a way to mimic the results, but put thier name on it. Sure they might be able to on a small scale, but they have failed to create a movement and reshape what the ENTIRE fitness world is doing.

Their in-ability to defend their results across broad modal time, domains, and participants is all you have to observe.

Those who are interested in creating, harnessing, and maintaining those with the minds of Warriors know what they need. CrossFit.

You will see more and more AthleticCoaches, in all realms, "Buy" into what we do wether it is called CrossFit by them or not, if for know other reason than the natural selection that happens.

Look for more and more Semi-Pro teams creep into CrossFit facilities for both training and Recruiting.

It is already happening us here in Prescott.

Justin Gross 11-15-2008 02:11 PM

I'd be hard pressed to believe that a french fry could sprint through the woods carrying his 250 lb buddy.

Now a FREEDOM FRY on the other hand...

John C. Brown 11-15-2008 03:05 PM

So Donald are you asking me to give some sort of evidentiary back up to my claim? Preposterous, I should never have to lend support to the things that I bang out on my keyboard.

By the way, have you ever found the McDonald's french fry that you lost under your seat a year later? I believe that those and cockroaches will be the only 2 survivors of an atomic holocaust.

and the argument about CF wods making you better at CF vs. rowing making you better for a crew race is a bad one. CrossFit makes us better over all prepared for our lives, it also makes us better prepared to train in specifics for our sport (and yes, CrossFit is a Sport Phillip, that is why there are "Games"). Now, are there certain sports that will be adversely affected by doing CrossFit? Yes, but they are most likely outnumbered by sports in which CrossFit will simplify the training process, Joey has named a couple.

George Noble 11-15-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Brown (Post 447358)
and I believe that French Fries may some day rule the world...

Hang on, am I to take this to mean that you don't think strongmen have high levels of work capacity coupled with high levels of strength?

John C. Brown 11-16-2008 12:27 PM

no, but to offer an opinion without any substantiation here is a bit of a waste.

I would suggest that they have HUGE strength, and moderate if not really strong capacity in the Phospho-creatine and glycolitic pathways, but probably fail miserably in the oxidative. I say probably because I have no proof other than people that carry around that mass don't usually do well in the long distance events. It was an example used to demonstrate the opposite side of that long distance athlete. And, in the examples of moving sand bags of cutting down trees to stop a fire, I would say that CrossFit would better prepare you than training for strong man comps.