CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Running a CrossFit Facility (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Level 1 Testing and Certification...extra $1000 every 5 years? (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=61410)

Michael Schaefer 09-11-2010 11:10 AM

Level 1 Testing and Certification...extra $1000 every 5 years?

I just received an email from HQ outline the testing process. I was quite concerned to read the following:

"I will be required to retake the course & test every 5 years in order to maintain a Trainer Certificate and/or my Affiliation? Yes. A Level 1 trainer certificate is only valid for 5 years. After 5 years from the date of issue the course and test must be taken again and passed to obtain the most current Level 1 Trainer Certificate and maintain affiliation."

Now I understand retesting, to ensure that I still have the knowledge, but spending another $1000 (or probably more by then) to go through the class again? This is getting onerous, that's not going to make me a better trainer, just generate more revenue.

Casey Raiford 09-11-2010 12:11 PM

Re: Level 1 Testing and Certification...extra $1000 every 5 years?

I think you only have to pay the testing fee, $150.

Eric Montgomery 09-11-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Schaefer (Post 841577)
I just received an email from HQ outline the testing process. I was quite concerned to read the following:

"I will be required to retake the course & test every 5 years in order to maintain a Trainer Certificate and/or my Affiliation? Yes. A Level 1 trainer certificate is only valid for 5 years. After 5 years from the date of issue the course and test must be taken again and passed to obtain the most current Level 1 Trainer Certificate and maintain affiliation."

Now I understand retesting, to ensure that I still have the knowledge, but spending another $1000 (or probably more by then) to go through the class again? This is getting onerous, that's not going to make me a better trainer, just generate more revenue.

Ding ding ding! Winnar.

I really hope that's not true. Those weren't the terms I thought I was getting when I got my cert two years ago. Retaking the test is one thing (though again, taking a test over a year after the fact wasn't part of the deal when I got my cert) but having to pay another $1000 so I can hear about revolutionary breakthroughs in the med ball clean and SDHP would be a little silly. Doesn't logging regular hours training others at an affiliate count for anything?

William A Cantrell 09-11-2010 01:31 PM

Wow! I really hope this isnt the case! This is not what i thought i was signing up for when I got my cert either...1k (plus misc expenses) every 5 on top of 2k every year to affiliate...

Joey Scafidi 09-11-2010 02:13 PM

from the new Level I course and testing guidebook.

"If registering for a course to revalidate an expired Certificate, complete the above registration and
provide verification of previous Level 1 attendance. Revalidations must go through the Level 1 course
again as well as take and pass the test. Fee for revalidating an expired Certificate is $500.00."

Robert Callahan 09-11-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Scafidi (Post 841632)
Revalidations must go through the Level 1 course
again as well as take and pass the test. Fee for revalidating an expired Certificate is $500.00.

Talk about a donkey punch

Rene Forestier 09-11-2010 03:04 PM

I think its pretty fair to have to recert every 5 years once there is accreditation...I wonder if its a requirement for accreditation i.e. maintenance of currency.

Katherine Derbyshire 09-11-2010 03:53 PM

So a $1000 weekend certification should qualify you to teach Crossfit forever? No matter how much or how little coaching you actually do?

I wouldn't hire a professional in any other field who didn't keep his skills sharp, so why should a coach be any different?

As for the cost, $500 every five years is less than $2 per week. If your business can't support that, you're probably not a going concern anyway.

Katherine

Bethany Wadsworth 09-11-2010 04:36 PM

It is absolutely fair to require a re-validation of credentials. ACSM requires approx. 1K in CEU's every 3 years. I don't think re-taking a level 1(same old material) is appropriate, but I do think demonstrating ongoing ecucation is.

Rob St. Croix 09-11-2010 05:58 PM

IOT maintain my CISSP I have to pay a annual fee (well, the DoD pays it for me) plus show that I have attended varrious IA related seminars.

I think if I owned an affiliate, I'd offer to pay part of, or all of, the recert for my employees with the stipulation they pass, if they fail, it's on them. That is what we do in the military.