CrossFit Discussion Board

CrossFit Discussion Board (http://board.crossfit.com/index.php)
-   Community (http://board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ALTERNATIVE TRAINING FOR BODYBUILDERS (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=19560)

Mark Cotton 07-04-2007 09:11 PM

Hi Everyone---

I posted the information below on 3 bodybuilding boards that I'm active on. No one responded. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Hi Everyone

As a trainer I'm always looking for ways to improve my training methods and looking for ways to carry ideas into different sports specific training.

Since most everyone here bodybuilds I want to know if---

First, do you partake in other specific training in addition to your traditional training (off season or in season)? For instance, do you rock climb? Practice TKD? Speed skate? Cross fit?

Second, if you do, is it your opinion that it enhances your physique? or do you think that it would serve no purpose?

Let me know. I'm interested in what you have to say. Thanks.

Kevin McGuinness 07-04-2007 11:29 PM

Rugby! I play Sevens rugby in the summer which becomes my WOD every Tuesday and Thursday. In the fall I'll probably switch to strength training M-W-F, practice with the college team on Tuesday and Thursday.

Gerhard Lavin 07-05-2007 03:08 AM

I fence approx 3 day per week.

Fencing will do nothing to improve your physique except make your leading leg and arm slightly bigger than your trailing leg and arm. But it is good fun

Arden Cogar Jr. 07-05-2007 06:23 AM

I compete in Lumberjack Sports.

wonderful cardio and I do believe it helps my physique - or helps me fit into my suits and dress clothes.

I also am a daily practitioner of Yoga and Tai Chi. Don't know if they would help my rather ogre like physical appearance. But I believe they help with my calm and my athletism.

I also enjoy hiking. That too would be right up there with the lumberjack sports. Better than walking on a treadmill/etc.

All the best,
Arden

Gant Grimes 07-05-2007 07:34 AM

Mark, I ride a mountain bike, practice martial arts, and do whatever else I can get into. However, I train my body to enhance my sports performance. Bodybuilding is the opposite of that.

Darren Zega 07-05-2007 08:07 AM

Practice/teach karate and kick-boxing. The traditional side of the house is great for coordination, concentraition and flexibility while I find the kick boxing can often completely replace my need for other metcon workouts. Bodybuilding won't play into either, unless you're going by Muhammed Ali's take and making sure not only do you kick the other guy's , but you look sexy doing it!

Skylar Cook 07-05-2007 10:07 AM

I do whatever I can. At home, I skate, surf, and kite[surf]. I have a pair of rock rings and a hangboard that I use to keep my climbing strength up. I'll visit the climbing gym (hour drive) a couple of times a month. I live for backpacking, climbing, and kiting. I just don't have the places to pack or climb in FL. I enjoy mountain biking a lot, too. I CF to enable me to enjoy these things more - so that I can have the fitness necessary to perform well, so that I can then focus on the skill aspects when I get the rare opportunities to train.

I play recreational sports (soccer, basketball, ice hockey) with a bunch of local HS kids, too.

Connie Morreale 07-05-2007 10:36 AM

i dont bb, but in addition to cf i run 20-25 miles/week road and trail. road/mountain bike/teach spin 5-6 hours/week. hike whenever i find a mountain (none in fla, so that's when i visit arizona and when i move to d.c. this summer)
stepmill 1 hour/week to keep my hiking legs. jumprope/shadowbox/heavy bag 1 hour/week. when in d.c (once every 3 mos this past year and a half)krav maga classes 2-4/day, 5 days/week. dance/choreography work 1/2 hour week. stretching 3 days/week 20 minutes.
does it contribute to my physique? i'm sure it does. i burn 500-600 calories 6 days a week and 800-1000 1 day a week. i do eat alot though.
if there were no calorie burn involved in those activities, i'd do them anyway. i just like to move.

Gorm Laursen 07-05-2007 11:02 AM

Chess. Beer drinking. Playing with the kids. Enjoying the fruits of the opposite gender. Soccer once in a while. Like to start karate again, but haven't got the time (haven't got the time that the clubs are scheduling). Biking. Walking. Working.

David Aguasca 07-05-2007 12:55 PM

Wow, gorm, good one! i also...um... enjoy the fruits of the opposite gender...

but besides that: i rock climb, slackline, hike, and occasionally perform in a circus. i also love training for the sake of training, but my main pursuit is climbing.

any kind of work in the anaerobic energy pathways makes us look better...so i'd say yes, it does enhance my physique.